SkydiveStMarys

Are your Grandparents still living?

I have a few friends who still have their Grandparents in their lives. I wish mine were still around especially to be able to see my kids and how I have turned out, wanting desperately for them to be proud of me and my accomplishments. Those of you that have your Grandparents alive and well, lucky you!

I lost my grandmother (mothers Mom) when I was 11, my grandfather (mothers Father) when I was 13 or 14 and then another grandmother (fathers Mom) when I was 18. never met my father's father, he up and left my dad and grandmother when my dad was 3.>:(

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I have one grandmother still living. We almost lost her last month due to a stroke, but after a month and a half in the hospital, she's back home. I'm not sure for how much longer, but I make sure to visit her as much as I can. She just turned 85 last month.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Nope, mine all died before I was born. But, I've heard plenty of stories and sometimes feel as though I knew them.

I do have an aunt who is almost 20 years older than my mom. She is sort of a substitute grandmother. And growing up, I had an "adopted granny" down the street. Both are/were wonderful!!! :)
Be happy you had you had your grandparents in your life as long as you did! :)

Mine were all dead before I got out of highschool. It was a shame as they all died very early, none made it past there 60's, hell my mom didnt make it past her 50's :( Course she died from lung cancer and she smoked like a chimney. [:/]

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

No.

Both grandfathers died in their 50's, long before I was born. 1 was hit by a car and the other had a heart virus.

Maternal grandmother died when I was 4 mos. old of Alzheimers. My paternal grandmother died when I was 8 of natural causes.

Never really understood how incredible it is to have grandparents until I witnessed the relationship with my parents and their grandchildren. Now I feel robbed.:(

"Now I feel robbed."

Totally relate.

My good friend is seeing her grandmother tomorrow for Easter. My friend is 36 and is 5 1/2 months pregnant, yep her grandmother is going to be a great grandmother. Thats too cool. To see that many generations together in one room. Priceless.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I still have one grandma(dads mom) and she is 94 and going strong. Her brother is 97 and will be turning 98 this May. He has been like an additional grandpa to me.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Nope. Dad's dad made it into his 70s, but died when I was about 18 months old, so I never got to know him (as far as I know, the attached photo taken when I was just under a year old is the only time I got to meet him).

The other three made it into their early 80s, and I lost all of them within a five year span in my early 20s.

I'm glad I got to know each of them, though. They each led full and interesting lives and I'm glad I got to be a part of them.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My maternal grandmother died in 1981 when I was 9 years old. Her loss was very severe to me as I was very close to her. I still have memories of playing with her and hugging her. She was a dear woman with a very big heart. Her husband, my grandfather is still living and lives about 6 hours away with my aunt and her daughter. He is 94 years old and a very very very grumpy old man. Dare I say at times down right nasty. But I love him dearly and I do have many good memories. I last saw him last June when I took my month old daughter to meet him.

My paternal grandmother died in 1988 during my senior year in high school. She had alzheimer's and had a very tragic and sad ending to her life. I don't have any happy memories of her and I. It is believed that she had very early onset of alzheimers (in her late 30s or early 40s) so she was always quite distant and just off. However, I hear that I was very much loved by her when I was a tiny tot!!

My paternal grandfather, I never met. He was, well, I'll refrain. He fathered 13 kids with my grandmother (above) but also fathered many many others with neighbors and other women in the State. My grandmother lived in Puerto Rico and he was a truck driver here in the U.S. He would go there, impregnate her, and leave. Wonderful man he was. Funny enough, he died within hours of my maternal grandmother!

I do wish that I had the fortune of having grandparents alive and well that I could relate to and communicate with and share my daughter with at this stage of my life. My husband is that fortunate to have a set of grandparents alive and his grandmother is a hoot!!! :)

Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process. -- Phillips Brooks

her grandmother is going to be a great grandmother. Thats too cool. To see that many generations together in one room. Priceless.

My grandmother has 15 great grandchilden with one on the way (my sister is pregnant). The family reunion a few years ago was absolutely amazing. :)

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Just one... My maternal grandmother. She'll be 97 this June. Physically she's just barely hanging in there, but her mind is sharp. She'll talk politics and current events until she's too tired to talk. Her husband, my grandfather, was my favorite. I always called him Papa, he would call me William Wiggle Whistle because of the feedback whines from my hearing aid molds. :D He died after spending a month in ICU following his 4th heart attack at age 70 in 1984. That was the first death that deeply affected me. Oh it hurt. I have lots of great memories being with him, learning to waterski in his boat at the age of 7 and continuing to ski every time we visited my grandparents at their lake home. When he died, grandmother gave the boat to my dad and we used it a lot over the next 10 or so years. Dad didn't take it out much when I moved away though and 5 years ago he had physically become too weak to bother going through the motions of hooking the trailer up and taking it out to the river and so on, so now I have it sitting in my basement. One of these days I'll have to take the boating license test and get the boat re-registered so we can enjoy it on our lake. My favorite, and my mom's favorite picture of all time is of me sitting in Papa's lap steering the boat when I was maybe 6 years old, both of us with huge smiles on our faces. :)
Now my dad's parents... his dad died well before I was born to a heart attack. His mom lived to the ripe old age of 96. She gave her car, a 1964 Buick Special to dad when she became too old to drive it, in 1982, and it only had 18,000 miles on it. Imagine that. 1000 miles a year! I learned to drive in that car and took it to college with me. It petered out at about 96,000 miles in 1989. The engine didn't hold up to my driving style too well, I'm afraid... :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

MIne are all dead, and with the amount of freedom that we have lost in this country they are far better off dead.

I say that because my Nono, was born an American citizen in Louisiana in 1906, went back to Italy as a child, and served there as Carabinieri until he was 26.

He chose to marry and bring my Nana here to live in the USA because it offered so much freedom and prosperity.

He would have cried if he could see it now.

He once told me that in the early 1930's he noticed that things had changed for the worse in some ways.

By the 1970s he thought it was all too apparent which way things were going.

He loved this country and often wondered why so many in power and also those who were politically active, wanted the USA to be more like other countries, places people were not free.

I haven't had my grandfathers around for awhile but my grandmothers are still living. One lives in Michigan with relatives but has Alzheimer's. I haven't seen her if a few years. The other one, I'm very close to and in fact I will see her today. She's 92 and just went into the hospital for the first time in her life a few weeks ago when she had to get a pacemaker installed. She's been living on her own and still golfing a few times a week, but it may finally be time for her to slow down a little.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Just one left. My maternal grandmother, my baba. She'll be 98 in April.

She's having a few problems walking now. Her knee gives out and she won't have it replaced. She had the other knee replaced when she was 88 and broke her hip when she was 92 and had it replaced. She said she doesn't want anymore metal in her body in case it makes her legs too heavy to move. :D:D

She's still going strong and is still as sharp witted as ever. Claims she can't hear very well but just try and talk about a surprise for her when she's nearby and she hears EVERYTHING! :D:D

My paternal grandfather died when he was 75.
My maternal grandfather died when he was 78.
My paternal grandmother died when she was 97.

'Shell

all four of my grandparents were born in Italy...
between the 1890's and 1910

they all came to America in their late teens or early twenties, and lived good hard working lives, raising their families, and learning the language and ways of the new country, while retaining the customs, and character of the 'old country'..

they ALL live in Heaven now...

i hope that i can get to Heaven myself,,,someday,

if for No other reason, than to see each of them once again,,,,,shake my grandpa(s) hand(s)
and give my grandma(s) a big hug...

:)
jmy ........... attachment of my paternal Grandparents, circa. early 1960's

Nope , and my kids don't have any grandparents either. :( My last grandparent died six years ago, and my parents have been gone for several years. My father never knew my daughter. My husbands parents and grandparents are gone too. My kids will never know the coolness of grandparents, and it is one of the biggest sources of sadness in my life.