sharimcm

Question about second jobs... (and rant)

Around the holidays, I asked my full-time employer if they had any 'issues' with me having a 2nd job. My boss went balistic telling me it's against company poilicy, blah, blah, blah. I finally got him calmed down enough and told him I already accepted a PT position and I was going to work through the holidays. Nothing else was mentioned after that. Well, I'm moving in a couple of weeks and if I want cable, I'll need to get a 2nd job.

I was offered a PT position at a retail job, and I accepted. What I didn't know (that I do now) is that the 2nd employer called my first employer for a reference. Ooops. When I went to fill out my new hire ppwk, they told me this tidbit of information. On the application it boldly stated "DO NOT CONTACT." I basically told them if my boss calls back to tell them I was applying for credit and they needed an employment verification. I was going to e-mail my boss and tell them why they called but hoped he lost the message. When I get to work today, my boss calls me in to his office and asks why they called. I told him it was an employment verification and then he asks, "Are you going to be working there?" I hesitated and said no. Yes, I lied, but because of his actions around the holidays, I didn't want to stir up any shit.

Now, I guess the question is this... If a 2nd job does not affect my performance at my 1st job, why is even an issue? What I do in my personal time is my personal business. A retail clothing shop is NOT a conflict of interest with my FT job, so what's the problem?

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

I am in the AF and I had to have my chain of command endorse my application to work as a personal trainer. Basically there can be zero confliction between the two.

I also had to sign a no competition clause at the gym I currently work at. Basically, I can't be employed by another gym while working at my current gym.

Not sure about your situation, I guess it depends on the conditions of your employment. Do you have a clause in your contract or position description that prevents you from seeking PT employment?

The Original Cabana Boy!

Well, I'm moving in a couple of weeks and if I want cable, I'll need to get a 2nd job.

You know those Cable Guys can be...uh...bribed, don't you?;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It's a small company (about 25 total people). The "HR" department is basically my boss. He deals with all the benefit crap like 401k, insurance, etc. I was looking on the network for the "handbook" but was unsuccessful at finding it. I believe all it said was it can not be a conflict of interest, not that you can't have one. But, then again, it's been a year since I read it.

I'm thinking if I get 'caught' working the PT job, I will mention that if I can't work a 2nd job, then all the 'musicians' in our company should not be allowed to play gigs. It's basically the same thing. It's their 2nd job. Oh, and not to mention my company had NO problems with me doing chair massages this past weekend... Perhaps it was because the VP's boyfriend owned the coffee shop I was working at?

*sighs*

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Why did you ask your boss for permission to take a p/t job to begin with? That's not something that would ever even cross my mind to do.

I'm not sure that it would even be legal (assuming no conflic of interest/compete clause/etc) for them to dicate what you do when you're off the clock.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

My boss went balistic telling me it's against company poilicy, blah, blah, blah.?

I think that in a lot of areas companies making policies like that is mostly illegal.

Where do you work? that whole thing would piss me off a lot.

If the 2nd job isn't affecting my performance, what does it matter? Even if it does, I need to pay the bills somehow.

People with kids have a performance decrease from them. Are you going to make having kids against company policy?

Now that you mention the kid thing, the company I work for (which is small) is very kid friendly. I remember something in the handbook saying that 'family time' is crucial and that overtime would be prohibited so you can go home and spend time with them. Hmmm.. I'm single, no kids, family lives quite a drive away, so who will I spend my 'personal' time with? My cat? Sure, she needs me to feed her, but she hates people and just uses me for food. Why not get a 2nd job and make money to ensure I can feed her? Not to mention I will be leaving my 2nd job around 9ish, which is much earlier than 'bedtime' for me.

If it doesnt conflict and your boss flipped out the first time, I probably wouldve done the same thing.

However, you never know what your first job or how they may respond if someone over your boss finds out.

For me to work at the windtunnel here, I had to fill out paperwork that my boss had to approve and that had to go to corporate and get approved again, as long as it doesnt interfere, it usually isnt a problem.

I was also working at the tunnel 5 months before I signed that paper but people still knew about and my boss said "I was never concerned about the conflict or lack thereof between Ball and the tunnel. So no worries"

It helps to have a boss who is understanding....good luck.

I'd say find a way to justify your 2nd job (helping pay off student loans, etc.)
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----