sletten

larger canopies in Javelin

I'm considering getting a second hand Javelin (NJ or RS1) According to sunpath's container sizing chart it suits mains and reserves up to 120.
I would like to jump a 135 main and 126 reserve - has anyone experience with packing too large canopies into a javelin?
It will fit I guess but a hassle to pack...

Thanks ;)

I'm considering getting a second hand Javelin (NJ or RS1) According to sunpath's container sizing chart it suits mains and reserves up to 120.
I would like to jump a 135 main and 126 reserve - has anyone experience with packing too large canopies into a javelin?
It will fit I guess but a hassle to pack...

Thanks ;)

Why not just get one designed to fit a 135 and 126?

Last thing you want to do is create a "hassle" for your rigger!>:(

Don't try to push the limits. They may go kinda okay. They may not go at all! Each individual canopy and container varies in size a little. If your on the ragged edge of the high end you may have a reserve that is a "big" one and a container the is a "small" one and it may not go no matter what. The main you might get away with but it also may look butt ugly.

Time to keep looking for the proper size container for the canopies you want and require.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

That is the best choice of course. The Javelin mentioned is a very nice harness at a very nice price. Unfortunately the container size is one size too small.

Which means it is not a good deal for you. Trying to find a suitable used container is like that a lot. Thee are many things that have to match up.

For Great Deals on Gear

I used to have an NJ with a pd 126 and a 135 sabre in it. THe reserve was very tight. It will all fit in there, but it will be quite tight. Now...the RS1, theres not way you'll get the pd126 in there and the 135 will be VERY VERY tight. Get a TJN or an NJK and these will fit your needs much better.

Cheers,
Travis

Just because one reserve that size fit, it doesn't mean that another the same size will fit. There can be significant pack volume differences between two same-size, same-model canopies. Also, just because one rigger managed to cram it in, it doesn't mean that it is a good idea. I second the notion that you are pushing it for this rig.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Hi,

Why not just keep your current container? From your profile you already have a Jav with a PDR 143 and and 150 main. If the container is sized for the 150 it should take a 135. (disclaimer - check with a rigger!)
.... and it will be nice and easy to pack!

What are your objectives for getting the smaller container and reserve?

Sletten,
I made the mistake of buying a used rig that wouldn't hold the reserve i really wanted to have. I wanted a pd126 and the rs i bought only held a 113. I had a nasty spinner that refused to unfuck itself and i chopped it. While that 113 flew VERY nicely, i couldn't get it out of my head that i would be up shit creek if i wasn't fully in control of it. I sold the rig to get one that would hold a proper size reserve for me. Learn from MY mistake, but a rig that will hold the reserve you really want, not the main.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

If you do that you are asking for pilot chutes in tow. I have an rsk-1 and I put a velo 103 in it with a removable slider. Mine is a pull out, and I still get pilot chutes in tow from time to time. I have the 113 reserve in it, and I don't think you can get a 126 in there.

If you do that you are asking for pilot chutes in tow. I have an rsk-1 and I put a velo 103 in it with a removable slider. Mine is a pull out, and I still get pilot chutes in tow from time to time. I have the 113 reserve in it, and I don't think you can get a 126 in there.

Maybe you outta make sure you use the pull out system properly and not just pull out the pin and hope for the best. User error...;)

Cheers,
Travis

What are your objectives for getting the smaller container and reserve?

I want a newer harness (mine's from 93) It doesn't have to be smaller. But this one I'm looking at is a bargain, so I thought (well, hoped..) maybe it would work out fine with the larger canopies.