Twoply

Origin of moles on your skin

If you have a question about a certain mole, go see the dermatologist.

I have had a few moles removed from my back. Can never be too careful.

I do not know for sure if the moles were affected by the few severe sunburns I had when I was young and stupid though.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've had moles since I was a kid, and I also have very fair skin and freckles. The moles- I am pretty sure I was born with and I've always been told if they don't start to change or anything, they're fine and to leave them be. You can have them lasered off or something but there's always a risk of scarring then, right?

Both genetics and environment play a role. Your genes can make you more or less sensitive to damage from UV light, but ultimately it's UV light that causes damage to the DNA (mutations) in your skin. These mutations cause cells in you skin to multiply abnormally, eventually leading to a mole. If you are not exposed to UV (ie. sunlight) you will not develop moles, regardless of you genetic predisposition. Unfortunately, a lot of the DNA damage that eventually leads to moles comes from sun exposure as a young child. But if you want to stop from developing further moles, as well as skin cancer, make sure to protect yourself from the sun!
"The knack to flying is to fall and miss the ground"
-Douglas Adams

It depends on the mole. Here is an example of a harmless mole on the face:

http://www.indusguru.com/images/mole21.JPG

Nothing to be concerned about.
Now here is a more serious mole on the hand:

http://research.calacademy.org/research/bmammals/afrotheria/golden_moles/photos/Cryptochloris_zyli.jpg

If you have a mole like this, you should seek professional help.:o

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If you are not exposed to UV (ie. sunlight) you will not develop moles, regardless of you genetic predisposition.

Really? Care to explain my "in the hospital" less than 2 hours old picture plainly showing a triple mole on my right cheek, which I still have by the way? Was my mother's womb stretched a bit too tight, allowing UV rays in to that one spot on my cheek?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Well, I dont wanna accuse your mom of being loose but um.. if the shoe fits than she must be. :D

I wouldn't know if she is, Jt, but I get this feeling you do...

:D
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1