flr169

internet explorer help...

win 98...explorer version6...

ya I know old beater...

the question is how do I get rid of all the extra crap like yahoo search, bookmarks messenger my space ..
this stuff has attached itself to my browser...

thanks in advance

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

where am I finding these preferances....???

this computer is ancient...p3 550 with a huge 256 ram wwith a 10 and 5 gig hard-drive....

will firefox even run on it....

for some reason everything has slowed down lately...

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

I agree with all advice above.. and would like to ad a few

Firefox.... yes!
CCCleaner.... yes!!!

Or, switch the old computer to linux!!!

You may also try Spybot S&D for spyware, and Yahoo has a good anti-spy tool in the tool bar as well.

Go through the MSConfig, selective start up... I'm sure there is some stuff in there slowing it down too....

Good luck!
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

I ran Firefox on a system similar to yours with Win98 for years and it worked fine. Much better than IE. If you don't like it for some reason you can just uninstall it. IE will still be there.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Mike:

Go to Control Panel. Select The Add/Remove Prograns icon. Select the programs you wish to delete, and fire away. Each program removal may and/or require a restart. If it does, repeat the process until everything you want deleted disappears. Follow up with a scan disk, then a defrag.

I hop this helps. Good Luck in your endeavours.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I agree with all advice above.. and would like to ad a few

Firefox.... yes!
CCCleaner.... yes!!!

Or, switch the old computer to linux!!!

You may also try Spybot S&D for spyware, and Yahoo has a good anti-spy tool in the tool bar as well.

Go through the MSConfig, selective start up... I'm sure there is some stuff in there slowing it down too....

Good luck!

I agree with what everyone has said!
You may need to run the defrag program also!
:)
Arizona only has two seasons, Hot and HOTTER!

Ok, instead of changing things b/c your comp may or may not run what everyone has...the best bet is the Add/Remove programs thing...and when you install other applications MAKE SURE TO READ THE INSTALLER AND DE-SELECT THE "Install *such and such* toolbar" box.

The answer to all questions is not "Get a mac, Use FF, d/l this, d/l that, get a different OS." I'm sorry, just getting a bit more fed up each day with those answers to a typical "Help me here guys". A simple how too is sometimes all that is needed. I hate going to a mechanic for a "ticking" in my *X brand* Truck and the mechanic instead tells me to just buy a *Y brand* truck.

The end, hate me now or later, haha. Actually please don'tB|

...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

The answer to all questions is not "Get a mac, Use FF, d/l this, d/l that, get a different OS." I'm sorry, just getting a bit more fed up each day with those answers to a typical "Help me here guys".

The end, hate me now or later, haha. B|

It aint so bad:)

as to the posts about changeing OS, FF etc... (ad nauseum)
I run nothing but windows software (it's free for me) and i NEVER have issues with it. I run a good virus scanner, and also always update from windows regularly.
Never had a problem in over a decade
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Precisely my point. I CAN see the "M$ is a more tediously kept" system, but big deal. That's it's drawback, as every other OS has them. I LOVE UBUNTU and RHE, but Vista is what I run right now...not to mention prices are just more economical for a PC vs Mac system...
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Precisely my point. I CAN see the "M$ is a more tediously kept" system, but big deal. That's it's drawback...

But even that's not a draw back, i have my system set to AUTO update weekly, both DAT files and M$ updates, i dont have to do a damned thing :ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Pssst......
Linux is free, FireFox is Free, Advice is free.....
Take it or leave it!

Consider it LEFT ( * ):P
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Didn't M$ stop supporting 98 back in 2006? No security updates for you :(:P

I regularly get updates from MS
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hey Bill:

uninstalled all the junk last night.....
installed ccleaner also have avg installed along with spybot sd.....

defradg doesn't wanna work for some reason....just hangs at 1%.....0% all night long....

this thing hasn't been re-formatted since 2000....
I just pulled it out of storage awhile ago...laptop problems....

thanks everyone for the input

Mike

uninstalled all the junk last night.....
installed ccleaner also have avg installed along with spybot sd.....

defradg doesn't wanna work for some reason....just hangs at 1%.....0% all night long....

this thing hasn't been re-formatted since 2000....
I just pulled it out of storage awhile ago...laptop problems....

thanks everyone for the input

Mike

For the defrag time issue, you may want to do that last. If you are running it for the first time, it make take a while. You may want to start it and walk away for an hour.

One of the biggest issue for speed is what you have on your toolbar that loads at startup. The biggest hog that I have found is the HP printer software.

I downloaded Regcure, for free. I selected the register cleanup and clicked almost everything as "disable" so that it would not load on startup. That helped the speed more than anything.

I downloaded Firefox for free. It saves me from about 90% of my virus issues. It is easy to do. Since it prevents a lot of problems, instead of fixing them later, it seems like a good choice.

I also run Lavasofts Ad-Watch from time to time.
There is a free version of that also. It takes 30 minutes to run. I do that once a month.

You can do all those step in a short evening and solve your problems. Those steps are free, mostly easy, and quick to download. You will have a noticeable speed change.

I run Windows XP Professional on a 512K, 10 gig system, hammered together from spare parts.
Sounds like a similar system.

(Be wary of free Spyware. Half of it IS spyware.)