masterrigger1

Pfaff 238

Hi Mark,

Some thoughts:

1. I think this is the zig-zag that Kelly F at Velocity uses and likes.
2. Not a lot of parts still available; at least so I've been told by those in the business.
3. The 438 is a better later version. But hard to find; I spent months looking and ended up with a Bernina 217.

Jerry,
Yeah, I knew kelly had a couple of Pfaffs running in the shop. I did think they where both 238, now I know better.

Parts are readily available for them in terms of what wears out and breaks.

I know a few lofts that have them and they are good machines.

The 438 is a heavier duty machine and at least three times the cost.

It also does not sew lighter material as well as the 238.

How's the 269 doing??

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Mel-

Good machines are worth their weight in gold. No doubt. The Pfaff Zig Zaggers are good. But if someone wants to get a machine that will stand up to the test I have to say that the Bernina 217 is the way to go. If I could only have one machine in my shop (and luckily I don't have to make that choice) I would choose a Bernina.
Its probably a geographical thing, meaning that a lot of us on the left coast have them, but they seem to be bullit proof.
Finding either a Pfaff or a Bernina can be a daunting task, so if someone is looking for one and there is one available, get it! Just be careful that if you are ebay bidding please try not to jack the price up on a fellow rigger.

Denny Crane

P.S. Any chance that you have any mc-4's in your loft that you can measure lines (and cascades, and break settings) on? I have a bunch of canopies sans lines and a bunch of flat dacron but I need a schematic on the line sets. Para Frieght doesn't quite give me the info on how to properly make a line set.
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”

Mel-
I would love for you to sit and sew on a Bernina. When you get the chance to do so, you will not be dissappointed. I promise. You know how we all like 7-33s for harness work? I have the same fondness for Bernina 304 and 308's(if you can find one). They rock.
Here is what I already have on the mc-4. I've got manuals and trim charts. What I am looking for is a schematic that tells me exactly where to attach b and d lines to the a's and c's and how long they should be and how long to make the control lines. According to some of my people they make great big boy base canopies.
If you have that info and can send it to me I'll be your best friend.

Denny Crane

Aaron
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”