moodyskydiver

rainbow bridge for cats?(sad)

My cat was killed by my new dog at 4am this morning b/c she snuck out the back door and was too fast to catch her.I guess the dog was quicker than we were.:(:(:(

I dont understand it either b/c he doesnt bother the outside cat,just poor Cleo.She was 13 yrs old.I wish she could have gone in a better way.:(:(:(

I feel like its all my fault b/c its my dog but my mom feels like its her fault b/c she was the one who opened the door when she shot out the door.

Bad day.:(:(:(:(

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

I'm sorry you have to go through this. :(
However, this is a concerning behavior and you had no way of knowing your dog had these tendencies.
I'd consult a dog trainer before it happens again with someone else's cat...

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

I agree.I've only had Tucker for a little over a month.His previous owners said he didnt have a big problem with cats and he handles my outside "barn cat" just fine.So I dont get it,why just this other cat?I'm just glad I didnt see it.My dad buried her before I woke up and my mom told me about it this morning.So I dont know exactly what happened between them. :(

Plus I just found out he has hip dysplasia and adolescent onset arthritis from the dysplasia,which is another thing they didnt tell me about.I emailed them telling them about it and the drug therapy hes now on and they didnt act surprised.So now I'm wondering what else they didnt tell me about him and if they were just trying to unass him to me b/c he will have expensive vet bills in the long run rather than "b/c they couldnt give him enough attention".>:(

I've already enrolled us in "K-9 Click" an obedience training class done by a former K-9 unit officer in early June.Now I'm worried that he might be aggressive towards the other dogs in the class even though hes ok with our other dog.I dont know what to do!:(

Hopefully this wont be happening to anyone else's cat b/c we live in the country and there isnt anyone within a mile of our place and our place is 80acres large.He only leaves the property to go to the vet or groomer.[:/]

Did you get his complete medical papers? Large breeds should all be screened for hip dysplasia. If he was bred by a responsible breeder, his parents and pretty much all previous generations should have been free from dysplasia and his medical papers should show that. I suppose it can still happen but chances are much slimmer.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Im so so sorry to hear about your cat. As a cat lover and a dog tolerator.. It really hurts. I do however have maybe an insight as to why your dog did this to this cat. I know of several dogs who are fine with cats that dont run from them. Im guessing that maybe Cleo was already scared from dashing outside and presented a chase for the dog. Does the "barn cat" run from him? I know my cat doesnt run from any dog and this has saved her arse many times. Just a thought. Hugs for you and your mom...[:/]

Did you get his complete medical papers? Large breeds should all be screened for hip dysplasia. If he was bred by a responsible breeder, his parents and pretty much all previous generations should have been free from dysplasia and his medical papers should show that. I suppose it can still happen but chances are much slimmer.

The only medical records they gave me were receipts from the vet for his yearly shots and when he was neutered.They supposedly did alot of tests and screenings on him at A&M when he was young (never got those records either!)b/c he was born with only one testicle.I'm assuming thats why they cut him,so as not to pass on that trait,but it still seems stupid to cut such a well bred,beautiful animal to me.His grandparents were born and bred in Germany for crying out loud.Ofcourse that doesnt really mean anything now.*shrug*:|

So no I don't have a full medical dossier on him.I'm going to contact his breeder though and see what turns up from that.But they live in the Virgin Islands,so I dont know if I'll get a response all the way from there.:S

We're not 100% sure its CHD b/c there wasnt
an xray.He favors his right hip and wont put weight on it if you pick up his left leg...he'll just lay down.Plus its progressively worse after alot of activity and the vet said he could feel some "give" in the joint when he did the manual exam.The vet said he didnt have as good a muscle tone/definition in his right hip/leg either.So thats what we're basing this hypothesis on.[:/]

We'll be going back for xrays and other tests soon. Right now hes on a glucosamine, chondroitine, and hyaluronic acid vitamin supplement and Previcox for inflammation/pain relief.

*sigh* what a cluster fuck!:|

Amber,

I lost a Cocker Spaniel a little over a year ago. He died in my arms, of old age (16), very peacefully. I asked my pastor (40 years at the same church) what happens to pets when they pass on and will we ever be united. He told me that if they weren't in heaven when we get there, IT WOULDN'T BE HEAVEN. So, rest assured that the cat (I didn't see his/her name) will be waiting to cross the bridge with you when your time comes. Meanwhile, rest easy, knowing that you provided for and loved him/her as best you could.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

I'm so sorry - that must be really distressing for you.

The feeling of guilt is tough to cope with and I think it's quite common when a pet dies, whatever the circumstances. I recently lost my cats (also both aged 13) to illnesses, and I was beating myself up for a while wondering if I should have picked up on the symptoms earlier and if that would have made any difference. Unfortunately bad things just happen sometimes to animals as well as people.

You just have to remember all the love and care you gave her for the time that you had her. She had a pretty long, and I'm sure happy, life.