24fps

I'm pissed!

A a film maker I have always dreamed of going back to my tiny home town to produce something. Last year the opportunity to produce a historical documentary came up and my home town was smack dab in the middle of it. I loaded the family up in Moesha (our mini-van) and said goodbye to the mountains of central Oregon.

Some say you can never go home. Well, that may well be true. I have forgotten how closed this town is to outsiders. I can handle it just fine, I'm here to work. My four year old has had a difficult time making friends. It has taken almost a year for the other kids in story time to sit next to him.

My wife started a mommies group with the other outsiders here, a woman pastor and the mom to the only black family in the region.

My wife let me now that her friend can't take it here anymore. Her oldest boy is one of the best athletes in the school, the only problem is that he is black. This last year he has endured abuse from his classmates and his COACH! They are moving as soon as her husband(who is white) can find a job elsewhere.

I can't believe that people still think like this.[:/] We have another 6 months here. I can not wait to get my family out of this place!

sorry, for the mini-rant but I could not get back to work until I let something out.>:(
something funny and unique

Yep I know exactly how you feel. I have experienced this first hand with the town my grandma has always lived in and my mom has lived there since returning in 1990. Even tho my mom graduated from the only school there (which at the time housed all grades), she is still considered an outsider b/c she left in 74 and didnt come back until 90. 18 years later she has no friends, other than her husband. I went to school there for my freshman & sophomore year and was called big city white trash for having tylenol in my locker. Well the school I came from graduating class of 2000 kids, we were allowed to have tylenol or other such headache stuff, Lord knows the school didnt want to deal with 5000 kids (total no.in grades 9-12) with a headache. When I was smaller I would spend summers with my grandparents there and I can clearly remember signs that were very racist that said "N***** dont let the sun set on your ass in this town" I was never so appalled in my life. Coming from central Florida, I always had friends of all etnicity's and had never experienced such "hate" before. The area has changed some and the bigger towns that border the small one have opened up per say. But the small is still very closed minded and extremely unfriendly and unaccepting of anything new.

I can't believe that people still think like this...

Say it on celluloid...THAT documentary might make a statement that 21st century small racist towns would be able to relate to.

Until people are forced to see themselves in the same light others view them, they'll never change.

You just might have the right venue, and the power to make a change...!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It's funny that you say this....

I start shooting another doc this coming week on violence in youth sports. We are focusing on how parents/coaches treat the youth playing. I will be calling my wife's friend today to see if the comments about her son are being made in summer league ball as well. If they are, I will be at the game on Friday, camera in hand.
something funny and unique

"N***** dont let the sun set on your ass in this town"

The small Illinois town where I grew up, actually had an ordnance on the books until 1976 that stated something to the effect that "No person of color shall be in a public place after sunset".

It was of course not enforced, but the fact it was even there was an insult to the community in my opinion.

While in college, one year my roomie was the little brother of a VERY famous Dallas Cowboy...who happened to be African-American.

He came home with me one holiday weekend and I was beyond embarrassment at the looks and comments we got from the people of my community...my roomie told me on the way back that he was glad he came, it gave him at least a small insight to what Jackie Robinson must have felt like.

I love my 'roots' as it were, but that ride back to college convinced be I would never be able to live my life in a place like that.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

"N***** dont let the sun set on your ass in this town"

The small Illinois town where I grew up, actually had an ordnance on the books until 1976 that stated something to the effect that "No person of color shall be in a public place after sunset".

It was of course not enforced, but the fact it was even there was an insult to the community in my opinion.

While in college, one year my roomie was the little brother of a VERY famous Dallas Cowboy...who happened to be African-American.

He came home with me one holiday weekend and I was beyond embarrassment at the looks and comments we got from the people of my community...my roomie told me on the way back that he was glad he came, it gave him at least a small insight to what Jackie Robinson must have felt like.

I love my 'roots' as it were, but that ride back to college convinced be I would never be able to live my life in a place like that.

such ignorance makes me wanna cry.... I just dont understand it. There has and always will be trash of all ethnicitys and one's color is not what designates them as such. I often tell my friends that I am "color blind"....;)

such ignorance makes me wanna cry.... I just dont understand it. There has and always will be trash of all ethnicitys and one's color is not what designates them as such.

Please see my sig line.

I don't want to live next to whites that throw their beer bottles in the yard or blacks that wear their pants down around their ankles. I can't believe that we accept either in the name of political correctness. Sometimes white trash is white trash and a nigger is a nigger.