ltdiver

Metallic tasting coffee?

I admit that I'm no coffee expert, in fact I do believe the stuff to be bad for you all around. However, I do have a cup every now and again (with cream and sugar...can't stand it black).

I was waiting in my doctor's office this week (follow-up with my surgeon from a shoulder surgery last week) and they were nice enough to offer coffee for those who were waiting.

I remember the taste...very much like the coffee I -used- to make when I didn't know what I was doing. A very present metallic-like taste.

What causes this?

Is it cheap coffee? Old coffee grounds? Poor water? A coffee maker that need CLR cleaning (from water deposits...We have hard water here)? Poor coffee making (any coffee made by this person would be bad, even with the best beans)? The surgeon is secretly putting metal in his patient's coffee?

Any experts want to educate me?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I would vote for not the best quality or freshest coffee made in a machine that needs cleaning, and possibly unfiltered tap water from a faucet that also needs cleaning. (maybe they used water from a drinking fountain?)

I'm no expert but I do enjoy my coffee- made with fresh, freshly ground beans and filtered water. I put 1/2 and 1/2 in mine, but as long as the quality is good, I can drink it black too.

The water has probably been filtered to much,
The metallic taste is a common problem when people don't set the filtering system
properly, Pure water is not good for you or the plumbing system

Gone fishing

The metallic taste is a common problem when people don't set the filtering system

Please explain, I've used lab grade H2O before in a test and it beat the tap stuff I normally use by a mile.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

I can understand this if you mean deionized water, but a simple house (office) filter doesn't get it -that- pure.

If you mean differently, yes please explain.

ltdiver

If you just did it occasionally, then it wouldn't matter... However, if you made it your primary source of drinking water, then you'd have problems. Deionized or distilled water actually removes nutrients from your body, causes damage to your intestines, does not provide you with several important minerals that are found in regular drinking water, and can cause increased absorption of potentially toxic metals.
Gravity Waits for No One.

Clean machine
Spring water
*Good* fresh ground coffee
pinch of salt

Salt? What for? :o (and don't say it brings out the flavor 'cause that can't possibly be....:P)

ltdiver

Clean machine
Spring water
*Good* fresh ground coffee
pinch of salt

Salt? What for? :o (and don't say it brings out the flavor 'cause that can't possibly be....:P)

ltdiver
So, What does the salt do??
I would like to know!!! Will try it in AM.:)
Arizona only has two seasons, Hot and HOTTER!

Salt? What for? :o

Takes out the bitterness. I've done that with old, crappy office coffee before. Not optimum, but more drinkable.

So, I take it you put it in with the coffee grounds to percolate along with the coffee making, rather than adding it after it's brewed?

ltdiver

Please explain, I've used lab grade H2O before in a test and it beat the tap stuff I normally use by a mile.

Explain, Wow I'm not good at explaining things, But here goes.

In most area's, water is hard ie:- contains a high level of dissolved carbonates of calcium and magnesium
along with other minerals, These minerals play havoc with heating elements an clog up pipes,
So we use water filters to filter out the harmful elements calcium and magnesium (not so harmful to us, but harmful to machines)
If the filtering unit is badly adjusted so that it takes out to much of the minerals in the water it will make the water corrosive (to the plumbing system)
an give it a metallic taste.

Hope that helps.

Gone fishing

So, I take it you put it in with the coffee grounds to percolate along with the coffee making, rather than adding it after it's brewed?

They were suggesting in the basket, but I've just salted my coffee slightly after it's in the cup. It's more of a remedy for crap coffee than a recipe for good coffee. :S