skydivermom

Buying gear right off student status

I've not been off student status long and my main instructor just offered me what I think is a pretty good deal. He has a size 150 main canopy for sale and he's letting it go to me for about $1200. There's still a lot more info. I need to get before I decide to buy it but I'm wondering if the size is appropriate. I am 5"1 and weigh about 115. I've done very well with canopy control but am concerned about downsizing too fast. He obviously thinks I can handle it and I don't believe he's just trying to get money.

What do you guys think?
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I've not been off student status long and my main instructor just offered me what I think is a pretty good deal. He has a size 150 main canopy for sale and he's letting it go to me for about $1200. There's still a lot more info. I need to get before I decide to buy it but I'm wondering if the size is appropriate. I am 5"1 and weigh about 115. I've done very well with canopy control but am concerned about downsizing too fast. He obviously thinks I can handle it and I don't believe he's just trying to get money.

What do you guys think?

What kind of canopy is it? How many jumps does it have on it?

What do you guys think?

$1200?? I haven't checked canopy prices lately, but that seems high for something used. The obvious Qs are how many jumps and what canopy. Without knowing that info, the price ballpark could be anywhere. I've bought new canopies in that size range and I think the most I paid was ~$800.00-900.00, but that was several years ago.

Really my interest is in:

I don't believe he's just trying to get money.

Anytime I sell anything, my motivation is to get money for it. I think that's true for anyone else that sells something.
If he's not trying to get money, what is he trying to get?

Reading your post, I have 'red flags' going off. You need to talk with people that know the prices and used gear market. You need to see if that canopy is ok for your experience level. Reread and answer all the other questions asked so far.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Thank you! I didn't want to be the first person to post this. I actually deleated my post.

(skydivermom said)
>>He has a size 150 main canopy for sale and he's letting it go to me for about $1200.<<<

I take a guess Sabre1? Man you can get a Sabre 2 for that price!

(makeithappen said)
>>$1200?? I haven't checked canopy prices lately, but that seems high for something used.<<

(makeithappen said)
>>>Anytime I sell anything, my motivation is to get money for it. I think that's true for anyone else that sells something.
If he's not trying to get money, what is he trying to get? <<

(Skydivermom said)
He going to "let it go to me for".<<

Are you sure he is doing you a favor?

(makeithappen said)
>>Reading your post, I have 'red flags' going off<<

Your probably going to get pised because you were asking about WL.

(skydivermom said)
What do you guys think?<<

I think it is a conflict of interest for your instructor to sell you gear.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Kathleen,
I am your size at 5 foot tall and 110 lbs...I have a Triathlon 150 used and paid $550 for it with 350 jumps. Like the other gentlemen said...Sounds like the price is really high for a used canapoy but do some research on that particular model on prices for new & used, etc. When I was searching for a my parachutes I used the gear section of this website and did research on the companie's websites, read reviews, etc. Hope you can find something that will suit your needs...:ph34r:
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

Guys! Thank you so much. I really wasn't sure if $1200 dollars was a steal or not. Let me clarify something....are we all talking about a full rig hear. Container, main, reserve, etc.? Because that's what I'm talking about. If $1200 is too much for used gear then I will definately keep looking. I didn't want to just take the first thing that came along, but I also didn't want to pass it up if it was a "once in a lifetime" deal. From what you are all saying, sounds to me like I need to keep looking.
Mrs. WaltAppel

Guys! Thank you so much. I really wasn't sure if $1200 dollars was a steal or not. Let me clarify something....are we all talking about a full rig hear. Container, main, reserve, etc.? Because that's what I'm talking about. If $1200 is too much for used gear then I will definately keep looking. I didn't want to just take the first thing that came along, but I also didn't want to pass it up if it was a "once in a lifetime" deal. From what you are all saying, sounds to me like I need to keep looking.

1200$ is kind of high for a used canopy, but not for a full rig.

What kind of container/main/reserve is it?

If your getting a full rig.. (container, Main, reserve, and aad) for 1200 .. that sounds like a good deal.. Only if it fits you and is safe (canopy size)..
If all that makes sense.. jump on it..

I'm very glad I posted this here. I said 1200 for a used canopy without understanding that you could buy the stuff separately. I assumed everything came together.

My instructor is selling a FULL rig for 1200. I guess the way I worded it in my first post...some of you thought I meant just the parachute. I am talking about a complete rig. I have written down all the questions you all have asked and will give them to my instructor before I make a decision. I wasn't planning on buying gear this early in the game, but it makes more sense to do that then spend so much money renting gear every time.

Please keep your thoughts and advice coming...I really appreciate it.
Mrs. WaltAppel

I think most people were talking about a main canopy only because that is what you said in your first post.

If your instructor is about the same size as you it might be a great deal - as far as fit. If your instructor is 6 inches taller than you, then the harness probably will be too large on you.

You need to state the rig (aka Harness & Container), the main (#jumps and make/model), the reserve (#jumps, make/model) and AAD (birthdate and maintenance if cypress) in order for anyone to say if it is a good deal or not.

I suggest you call retailers and comparison shop. I can personally recommend Square1 and Gravity Gear. Other retailers are just as good, but I don't know the people as well.

Also check with Wendy Faulkner. She is tiny like you and has lots of good info on what to look for and what to avoid for the smaller sized jumpers.

I strongly suggest that you get a D-ring reserve handle and not a pad handle. You can get the small handles from JumpShack. About a month ago, a friend of mine with thousands of jumps nearly went in on a brand new rig that had a sandwich type pad handle. She couldn't get the handle out without a real struggle. She is small like you and Wendy. BTW, her old rig might be for sale. She's in Thailand right now, so if you can wait 3 weeks her rig might be ok for you.

One other thing is that you should be aware that a 150 is considered by the official USPA doctrine as 'advanced equipment' no matter what WL. Please read the SIM sections 6-10 and 6-11. Smaller parachutes have shorter lines. This will get you more responsiveness on the smaller canopy, as compared to your student canopy (probably a 230 or so). That means a much shorter control stroke (toggle or riser) to induce the same amount of turn, comparing the smaller to larger canopy. Pay special attention to the downsizing progression section too.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I've written down all of the questions you guys posted and I'm going to ask my instructor! As I mentioned in my previous posts, I did not know you could buy parts of the rig separately...that's why I only said canopy. It makes more sense now.

When I get all the details...I'll post them to this thread.
Mrs. WaltAppel

I've only jumped student gear so far (195)...I'm a little nervous about downsizing to a 150. Rocke was going to let me try his 170 and get used to that, and then try the 150, but I'm not sure that's a good idea this soon. HE seems to not have a problem with it, but it's my life right?

I would almost rather just find a good deal on a 170 and stick with that.
Mrs. WaltAppel

some people in here are trying to assist you in making a good decision but you should post the information about all of the gear as requested from several people. you are turning your wheels continuing to talk about just a canopy.

as for downsizing if you are unsure after thinking about it, and discussing it with your instructor you should find someone around the dz like the owner or safety officer and ask their opinions. no one online really knows you so it is best to go to people that do for canopy advice especially.

***Anytime I sell anything, my motivation is to get money for it. I think that's true for anyone else that sells something.
If he's not trying to get money, what is he trying to get?

Reading your post, I have 'red flags' going off. You need to talk with people that know the prices and used gear market. You need to see if that canopy is ok for your experience level. Reread and answer all the other questions asked so far.

It is clear to me I write what I'm thinking but need to go back and see if it makes sense....[:/]

Rocke could have probably asked for a whole lot more than $1200 as the rig is not that old. That is what I meant by money not being the main issue. I do need to find out more details on it, but I don't get the feeling he is looking to make a profit off of it. That is what I meant. He acted like letting it go for that price was really a favor to me. I understand this is a classic selling technique and wanted to make sure $1200 was reasonable.

I wasn't even considering buying gear just yet so this sort of caught me off guard.
Mrs. WaltAppel

***some people in here are trying to assist you in making a good decision but you should post the information about all of the gear as requested from several people. you are turning your wheels continuing to talk about just a canopy.

If I had all the info., I would have included it in my first post. Even without the info., I've alread gotten some great advice and suggestions. As I stated in a previous post, I will provide the info. as soon as I get it. I also stated in a previous post that I was unaware the canopy, container, etc. could all be sold separately...kinda new here:)
I don't think I'm spinning my wheels because I've gotten some great help with making downsizing decisions. I mainly was just concerned about buying gear from my instructor and if the price was a good one.
Mrs. WaltAppel

***you should buy gear as soon as you can afford too.

My question had nothing to do with affording gear...what it had to do with is weather or not the price was fair. I know you all can't help with that until I get more info.
Mrs. WaltAppel

I've only jumped student gear so far (195)...I'm a little nervous about downsizing to a 150. Rocke was going to let me try his 170 and get used to that, and then try the 150, but I'm not sure that's a good idea this soon. HE seems to not have a problem with it, but it's my life right?

I would almost rather just find a good deal on a 170 and stick with that.

I think this post is the best advice...and it is from yourself. :)
Don't take a good deal JUST because it is a good deal. Make sure you are comfortable with what you are getting too.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

If you are nervous about downsizing to a 150 , I would talk to someone who has seen you fly other than the instructor that is trying to sell to you...I spoke to my DZO about my downsizing and he was great help...Also, I know they mentioned above about the MLW and sizing, I know from experience finding a used container that fits a 5 foot woman was kinda hard, so please make sure it fits you right..I lucked up and found a used container from another 5 foot woman and bought my main and reserve seperately..Good luck on your search and let us know what happens...:ph34r:
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

I had an instructor try to sell me a 170 as a reserve for my first rig. That would be a wing loading of 1.35:1 - Not ideal for reserve for newbie!

Im no instructor but I think I can safely say...

Moral of the story, seek independent advice from a third party instructor as to its suitability. You seem to have good idea about what you want from your equipment. Cant hurt to get an educated opinion from an unbiased party.

I would also suggest jumping the rig before you buy - what feels comfortable on the ground may not be so comfortable when you're under canopy! (I know - I didn't jump mine before I bought it and now I'm paying in bruises and pinched spots until my new container arrives!)
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

$1200.oo for a newer used rig could be a smoking deal or it could be a bad deal for you.....

Having just purchased nearly new (used gear) here are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Have a rigger check you for proper fit.

Is the AAD up for re-work or good to go....Does it have one? If you are buying before you get your A you can't jump it w/o AAD.

Is the reserve a proper size for you?

If all the above answers are positive to you, then you only have your downsizing concerns to worry about. Easy.....You own a nice 150 that will stay out of the rig, you spend $500-$600.00 on a 170 and jump it until your instructors say otherwise. Sell it for $500.00-$600.00 and hook up the 150.

You would be out $1200.00 which is inexpensive for good used equipment...I was over 4.5k for mine.

Good Luck