WatchYourStep

Mac Owners Help...Dropped Mac Book :(

I purchased a Mac Book 3 weeks ago and I love this thing. I've been very fortunate in the past with never dropping stuff: phones, iPods, etc. well my luck ran out.

I put my Macbook in it's case and put it in my bag, I was interrupted and forgot to zip up the bag. When I picked the bag up the mac dropped out of the side from about a foot to two high. The good news is it still works!!

The bad news is it landed on the rear right side and looks like it did some damage separating things. I doubt this would be covered under warranty but wondered what others thought. I'm going to pay if not to have it fixed because the gap in there could allow moisture inside.

Thanks for any feedback.

PS: I'd call the store but I'm in Austria for another week so there's not point until I get back to the States just wondering if anyone has done something similar and what it cost them to "fix" it.

Man I'm an idiot.

I can't shrink them down enough to attach them. You can see the pictures here.

Facebook folder

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

My daughter sat on her Macbook and broke the screen. We took it to the Apple store just to check and they wouldn't fix it under any kind of warranty. They would gladly change the screen for $645!!!

I went on E-Bay and found a brand new screen for $150 with $12 shipping. It'll be fixed in a jiffy. Not sure whether you could get an entire case but it might be worth a look.

jon

The lid not closing is not a real issue. My MBP is like that, from where I put a bit too much pressure on it while it was across my eg. Everything is fine.

The face plate coming up from the case, that is a little worrisome to me, but unless you plan on having your Mac out in the rain.. in the shower.. or whatnot.. it should be fine. Me, I just store & carry it in a water resistant laptop bag.

I dropped mine 3 times the same way so, feel better there is a bigger idiot out there, the pictures you posted match the damage in my power book but guess what ?? still works!
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

You can insert a plastic tool (shaped like a flathead screwdriver) into the cd slot and twist it to bring it back to it's original shape. The reason why you want to do this is that a cd can get stuck really easily because the slot is not straight. As for the corner, you could take the topcase off pretty easily and squeeze that corner with a leatherman or something to bring it back to its original shape.

Do you have AppleCare? If so, they'll probably fix it.

Applecare can be purchased anytime within the first year of ownership, but I doubt Applecare would cover damage from being dropped.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Do you have AppleCare? If so, they'll probably fix it.

Applecare can be purchased anytime within the first year of ownership, but I doubt Applecare would cover damage from being dropped.

They did when I dropped my iBook.

Like any warranty claim, it depends on how it's written up by the tech. If you read the warranty, it is not supposed to be covered, but sometimes it is. Damage due to spills is not supposed to be covered, either, but sometimes it is.

Since the OP's laptop is only three weeks old, it shouldn't matter whether they purchased Applecare or not, since Applecare only extends the original warranty.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!