skydiver30960

Is Mark Spitz REALLY this pompous?

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=afp-oly2008swimusaspitzphelps&prov=afp&type=lgns

"I think what I have done has obviously inspired him. He's been inspired to go after me."

I can ALMOST handle that one. But then, the next day, to see:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=afp-oly2008swimusaspitz&prov=afp&type=lgns

with verbal gems like:

"I never got invited. You don't go to the Olympics just to say, I am going to go. Especially because of who I am," Spitz told AFP in Hong Kong.

"I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously? That's almost demeaning to me. It is not almost—it is."

WTF? Don't want to go anonymously? You mean, you don't want to go like a nobody? You mean, you don't want to go just like everyone else in the world would LOVE to go, i.e. just to be able to go and be part of the spectacle?

I dunno, mebbe it's just me, but after reading those two articles one of the "five greatest Olympians of all time" just sounds like one of the "five biggest jerks of all time."

Elvisio "end rant" Rodriguez

My wife sent me this story, and my first reaction was similar...lot's of whining.

If it was that important to him, he certainly could have made a phone call, "Hey, can you bring me with you? The record is going to be news and I'd like to be there."

He's a US Olympian, take some damn initiative. B|:|

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

What's surprising is that you and others are just now finding out...you must be a youngster. The rest of us have known this since the early '70s.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

What's surprising is that you and others are just now finding out...you must be a youngster. The rest of us have known this since the early '70s.

If you still remember the '70's, you just weren't fully taking advantage of them.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.