NickDG

Sky King . . .

If you were a future young skydiver/aviation type in the 1950s there were two TV shows you never missed. Ripcord and Sky King. Ripcord isn't online anywhere that I've found, but Sky King is.

Sixty four of the original 72 eps are here:
http://www.americanflyers.net/entertainment/skyking.asp

Watching Sky King as a very young boy I was mesmerized by the flying, of course, but for the very first time I started to notice there was something about Sky's niece, Penny . . . ;)

The Sky King Wiki is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_King

NickD :)

Yup, Fury, Jungle Jim, etc, were all great on a snowy winter Saturday morning with your steaming hot bowl of Maypo!

What made these shows great is they all had some kind of hook that worked. Like ask any guy why he loves the movie Planet of the Apes and its, "Monkeys riding horses."

With Sky King its, "Cowboys flying airplanes."

Now tell me how you used to have to walk uphill in the snow barefoot to watch it!! :$

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Just f*ckin' with ya. But you guys do sound a little Olde right now. I keep waiting to read "and we were THANKFUL to get it!" ;)

...And it ain't about the monkeys riding horses. It's about monkeys with semi-automatic weapons! F*CK YEAH!B|

OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

And you also made me think of this:

Let's talk about being a square . . .

In the 1950s being a square meant you gave everyone an even break.

In the 1960s being a square meant there was revolution going on and you didn’t get it.

In the 1970s there was Disco and, in hindsight, we were all squares.

In the 1980s squares went to college to become MBAs and amass great fortunes no matter who it hurt.

In the 1990s squares were the people who didn't understand why Curt Cobain killed himself, and were actually happy about it.

In the 2000s being square meant leading a life driven by 24/7 hype.

In the 2010s, I'm hoping anyway, squares are people who've become free thinking individuals again . . .

Hi Nick,
Sky King was so cool!! 'Ya remember before the Cessna 310 he had the old Cessna T-50 "Bobcat" with the Shakey Jake round engines on the front!! Jerk my memory really good but like for sure like yesterday and I hope the episopde is in the archives so here goes!! About 1951 or so I'm 5 going on 6 years old and Pumpy and his brother Garland lived next door and they had a TV set!! Black and white of course!! We watched Sky King along with all the other shows but on one episode of Sky King I remember.... meanwhile back at the ranch... the bad guys were in some cabin out in the desert and Sky and Penny (dig it, this ponytailed young chick has at least a Private License with a Multi engine rating!!!!) are overhead at night in the "Songbird" so Uncle Sky straps on a "Seat Pack" parachute climbs out of the left side door takes 3 steps on the wing walk way, dressed in cowboyboy boots, slacks, western shirt, bolo tie, no helmit or goggles,he left his western hat in the plane, and now he jumps off the wing, does a 5 to 10 second delay opens the chute and lands about a hundred yards from the hideout where the bad guys are!! Would love to see that episode again. Guess I have to wade thru all those episodes!!!
BTW Pumpy and Garlands dad was a real pilot for an airline (Don't know which one but he flew out of New Orleans) and Pumpy always made sure he said his dad flew DC-4's and they had 4 engines!!! Cool beans like the one Jim Blumenthal had that we jumped at Ghoulidge back in the 80's!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out