schuey87

2nd hand gear fitting

I'm 6'0" and weigh 143 lb. I'm looking into buying my 1st rig now, and am aware that for the harness it is made to fit people of certain heights, but how much does weight come into it... what if the harness was made for someone 40lb heavier? Is it going to mean its going to be loose on me... or is it something that I'm likely going to have to deal with when buying my first rig second hand?

That the hard one, and keep in mind if you find one that fits, will you be able to fit the canopies you want in it?

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Yes. It is possible that it will be loose.

But it greatly depends on the manufacturer.

Some manufactures have different size yokes. (Over the shoulders). Most have different size side laterals.

Being 6' and 143 lbs, you'll likely find a better fit from someone of average build and a couple few inches shorter.

If you let me know what size and brand harness container you are looking at, and provide me with some measurements from yourself, I can help you determine fit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

how do people think a rig made for 6'0" 165lbs sounds in comparison to me?

That depends on the inseam measurements of you and the person it was built for. If they are the same, then that harness will probably fit you.

Here's an easy way to get a rough idea of if a harness will fit you. First, find out the MLW (main lift web) measurement from the container. Most containers have this information on the same panel that has the serial number; on those that don't you can either contact the manfacturer with the serial number (they will have this information on file) or measure the actual main lift web (iirc you measure from the center of the bottom ring of the 3 ring to the junction of the main lift web and the leg straps).

Now take the height and inseam (in inches) of each person and plug them into the following formula - height - inseam - 20. The result will be close to the MLW length that will fit.

Example - I'm 5'8" (68"). My inseam is 33". 68-33-20=15, so a 15" MLW will probably fit me well (and it does).

This is not exact as there are other things to consider, like leg strap length and lateral length. Leg strap length can be easily adjusted by a rigger with harness work experience. Lateral length is a bit trickier, but generally if you and the person the rig was built for are of a similar build (ie slim, average or stocky) the laterals will be close enough.

Of course the best way to determine harness fit is to try it on. That's why it's best to only buy a used rig sight unseen if the seller is willing to hold the payment until you've received the gear and had a chance to at least try it on.

I would be able to try the rig on... but probably not jump it... but I'm not really sure what I would be looking for... the only rigs I've ever used before are the student hire rigs at our dropzone, which I'm sure must fit badly! I do the legstraps up as tight as they go and I always feel I'd like them a little tighter.

Thanks for your advice and I will look into that formula. What should I be looking for when trying it on... how snug should it be in what places etc?

I'm also guessing there is going to be some sort of compromise with the fit when buying second hand, it is not going to be like having your own brand new custom gear, otherwise you'd never buy a rig right... but how much of a compromise?

I would be able to try the rig on... but probably not jump it...

I wouldn't consider the sale final until you've had a chance to jump it.

What should I be looking for when trying it on... how snug should it be in what places etc?

First find the top of your hip bone - it's on the side of your body usually just below the waist. Put the rig on, tighten up the legstraps and do up the chest strap. If it's the correct length MLW for you, the center of the hip ring on an articulated harness or the stitched area where the legstraps join the MLW on a standard harness should fall at the top of your hip bone.

Leg straps should be snug but not cutting off circulation. The comfort pads should meet but not overlap by more than an inch or so; if they overlap more than that then the leg pads are too long and would need to be shortened. I'm not sure exactly how much excess webbing there should be after the legstraps are tightened; hopefully someone else will chime in here with that info.

The laterals (from the back of the container into the bottom of the MLW) should be long enough that the container isn't pushing into your lower back but short enough that it isn't able to pull away from your lower back. Laterals that are too long can be a safety issue, laterals that are too short can be a comfort issue.

Is there someone at your dz who knows how a harness is supposed to fit (ie experienced gear salesperson or a knowledgable rigger)? It'd be best to try it on in front of them to be sure.

... but how much of a compromise?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Compromise ends when there is a risk of you not being able to arch, not being able to reach handles or at risk of falling out of your harness.
Much of least month's message traffic came from people worried about falling out of their harness butt-first. Most of the worried people had second-hand harnesses that were originally built for some one considerably fatter or more muscular or "broader" than them. This resulted in loose-fitting harnesses with plenty of slack in the horizontal straps (at the same level as the belt that holds up your pants).

Sounds like that second-hand Teardrop is going to need a bit of work, but only a Master Rigger or Thomas Sports Equipment can give you an exact answer to that.
First of all, you will probably need to shorten the leg pads. This is not a harness alteration, but it requires seome one who is experienced with sewing binding tape ... about a $100 job.