leroydb

Prophet: Money, Magic, and the Gov't

I understand what you're trying to do and I'm going to try to be kinder than most of the responses you're going to get on your YouTube comments section but . . .

Sorry, but jump cuts and slight of hand don't mix.

You really ruin both the trick and your message by doing that.

Make your "hipster over the Constitution" intro shorter (the length of your bumper music is just about right) and then when you do the trick, make sure we see every frame of it in the clear. Your hands should never leave the frame, it should be in one take and very, very cleanly done. (Right now it's a little clumsy.) Then, when you're finished, just get out. No need for the hand over the lens pull back to reveal your face -- we've already seen it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Better. Now we know you're doing a slight of hand trick rather than just trying to trick us with editing.

I have two more layers of comments for you;

The first involves your story. I know you're trying to make a comment about how if -we- just magically created more money it would screw things up, but don't you think it would be a more powerful statement to say that this IS what the -government- does and how it DOES screw things up? I think most people in the audience would, in fact, be pretty ok with being able to turn 1s into 5s if they could and will probably think the story is kind of, well, silly in its altruistic statement, but if you can show it actually IS what the government is doing, then you create more conflict and outrage in your audience and therefor, they'll actually agree with you.

The second is a performance issue. I'm vaguely familiar with the trick and may have performed it once or twice as a kid 40 or so years ago, so forgive me an indulgence here. I don't want to give anything away, but look at your hands and the bills as you're counting. One time you're counting to 5 and, well, I see 6 (possibly 7) pieces of paper (opps the second time you count) and at other times you have what I call "magic hands". You're trying to hide the trick and look as natural as possible, but something is going on with your hands and they just look unnatural. People don't hold money like that. It's a tough thing to be doing one thing and looking like you're doing another. It takes a butt load of practice. I certainly can't do it anymore (if I ever could), but I certainly recognize it when I see it. BTW, this business with the hands is how I knew it was a slight of hand trick you were doing rather than a camera edit in the first version.

It's a very tough thing to get down. Even when you see somebody as skillfull as Teller do slight of hand, sometimes . . . eh . . . they just look wrong.

Now, if you'd like a slightly easier way to misdirect a piece of that, look at your eyes after the third time you count the money and are, uh, getting the trick ready. You're looking AT the exact thing you do NOT want your audience to be looking at. If you can do that part and be looking directly AT the audience (or in this case into the camera), people will have a tendency to look at your eyes rather than follow them down to where you are looking at now.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

performing in front of a camera, even solo, can still mess with ya head...

Still working on it... like quade said... practice makes perfect.

I will work on this more now that I have some focus.

FWIW: normally I would show my close friend or 2 for practice before releasing it, but they were out...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

it is looking good, and way better than anything i could produce, looking forward to seeing the final copy:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?