dvdcoon

Any pre-Y2K Infinity owners here?

I'm considering buying a used Infinity container that was manufactured in 96. My rigger will get to look at it first and check it out, but my concern is for future freeflying. I know the late model Infinitys have dynamite design and quality, but I not sure about the older model. I think the major modifications went into production around 2000. I thought about calling Velocity, but they didn't make it back then. Can anyone give me some feedback on their older Infinity?

The rig wasn't called Infinity then. It was called a Northern Lite III with history back to the original Northern Lite that was first made in 1979 or 1980. It was made by Para-phernalia. A friend of mine bought the company and made it and the Softie pilot rigs for a number of years. He sold the northern lite to Kelly Farrington, owner of velocity sports. Velocity sports produced the rig under the Northern Lite name. I now that in 4/97 Velocity sports made Northern Lite III's These were very much like current Velocities. I'm not positive of the main flap but the reserve design was the same. The immediately previous versions, still Northern Lite III's, I don't believe were as quite as secure. 96 is just about the time of the change. You'll have to look at it to know what it's like for sure.

Northern Lite II's probably are not particularly good free fly rigs. I've serviced a lot of them in years past but can't remember the exact features. The III was an advance.

I recommend calling Kelly Farrington at Velocity Sports. He'll be able to tell you if this particular rig, if you have the serial number, is similar to the first rigs called Infinities made after 1997.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The rig wasn't called Infinity then. ...

Yes it was. The Northern Lite III was originally built by Para-Phernalia and later by Larry Chernis who purchased the rights in 1991 and started Northern Lite Enterprises. Larry started building the Infinity in 1995. I bought two new Infinities from him (DOMs 4/96 and 6/97 - still jumping the latter) prior to the rights being sold to Kelly. Kelly extensively redesigned the the rig's construction without changing the looks.

Bob

Forgot about the Larry era:$, but I just priced to 1997 Northern Lite III's built by velocity sports that look just like 1999 Infinities. That's what was on the label. Maybe like Vector III's are labeled wonderhogs since there still minor modifications of the wonderhog. TSO name versus market name?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Terry,

teresting in how things get around, i.e., your comment about ". . .purchased the rights . . ."

I do not know about any 'rights' because almost nothing is exclusive to a mfr; unless they patent something or other.

Larry Chernis bought a copy of the QA program, the patterns, and some other building/mfg 'goodies'. The TSO-authorization(s) cannot be sold or transferred. The company that holds the TSO can be sold; have a change in ownership. However, that would have meant that Dan T would have had to sell Para-Phernalia lock stock and barrel; well OK, just the name and the TSO-authorizations.

Larry Chernis had to go through the entire TSO process before he could produce his version of the NL III.

Para-Phernalia's NL III TSO was under C 23(b) and Larry's was under C 23(c).

Again, just some trivia for a night in the bar.

Hi Terry,

teresting in how things get around, i.e., your comment about ". . .purchased the rights . . ."

I do not know about any 'rights' because almost nothing is exclusive to a mfr; unless they patent something or other.

reply]

Not my quote.:P See relyon below my post.

But thanks for the info. I really can't believe I forgot the Larry era. Northern Lites were VERY popular at our DZ, since Dan T. started there and moved to Washington in 1981 or so. I still have two 1982 silver Northern Lites bought for a local demo team. One is set up for intentional cuataways. One was in service until 5 years ago, with an original Swift. Both still airworthy, hmmm if I have enough free bags. In our area we must have had the worlds population of Northern Lite's with Chrysalys (sp) releases. I always liked them except they didn't have the grommet at the end of the housing. Pull the housing, cutawy the release. I've always assumed this was for patent reasons but never asked Dan.

Dan T's Northern Lite was the first rig I ever saw with a pillow reserve handle, in 1980. The same bounce and blend earthtone color as the cutaway:o. And no slack in the cable built in, IIRCC. Also, the throw out PC was stored in a gap between the container and the back pad. Other than the rigs being too small to reach that high, maybe somebody ought to try that again. No spandex to wear out and well protected. Of course lots of ideas from that era had problems, like belly band throw outs and the Rapid Transit system remote pull out handle. I think I packed two reserves due to that system on one rig.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It is a Northern Lite III. See attachment. I'll try to contact the current owner tomorrow and see what I can find out. Thanks for the replys.

No, that's a pre-VSE Infinity built by Northern Lite Enterprises (Larry Chernis) - hence the handwritten "INFINITY". I don't know if Larry used NL III labels for legal/regulation reasons or just to use up stock. I do know he built NL IIIs for a couple years before morphing the design into the Infinity. I've owned three rigs he built (1 NL III and 2 Infinities) and still have one.

There are significant differences between a NL III and an Infinity. On the NL III the reserve top flap is about 4-6" wide at the bottom end and doesn't tuck in but is closed with velcro instead, and it has a 2-pin reserve handle. The Infinity reserve top flap comes to a point and tucks in, and the reserve is a 1-pin design. There are other minor differences as well.

The current production Infinities are vastly superior to the pre-VSE models for freefly and most every thing else (except possibly CRW).

Bob