moodyskydiver

help me decide!

Ok, so I'd planned awhile back to go to both of these events before I found out they'll be on the same weekend,Oct. 3-5. and I can only really afford to go to one or the other.

If I go to the AOT Boogie it will be the more expensive of the two b/c it would include: gas,hotel expenses,boogie registration fees,plus food and beer.Let me make it clear now that I will NOT be jumping if I go to the boogie.I'm not current and have some health issues that are keeping me grounded until further notice.AOT is about a 2hr drive one-way for me and I would probably stay the whole boogie and take pics and hang out.

FenCon is a science fiction/fantasy film,book,game etc. fan convention.They're having amateur writing contests and all kinds of geeky stuff...keep in mind that I'm not a HUGE fan of this kind of stuff but I do like a select portion of it like Harry Potter,Eragon,Hellsing(manga and anime) and a few other classics like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,some Heinlein etc. If I go to this event I'd only go on Saturday and the costs incurred would only be gas money,parking and anything I bought at the convention,so its the cheaper of the two. I would only have to drive to Dallas which is a 1hr drive one-way for me and I'd make the round trip in one day and not stay for the whole convention.

So, what would you do? I know its going to be a bit biased b/c I'm asking skydivers on whether I should go to a skydiving activity or not but since I'm not going to be jumping thats a big factor. I dont know if its worth it or not b/c I went to LP and didnt jump and didnt have as good of a time as I'd hoped...although the Lang beer was EXCELLENT! :D

So help me decide! cast your votes and I'll let you know what I decide at a later date.Thanks all!:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

I'm only comparing a boogie to a geek convention b/c my last boogie experience wasnt that great of an experience + I'm not jumping at present so I'd just be around for pictures, beer and beer light activities which are pretty tame at this particular "family oriented" DZ...note:I'm not saying "family oriented" is a bad thing, they're just more PG rated than most R (or X) rated boogies/DZs I've been to.:S

at present I'm leaning toward the boogie anyway b/c like I said in the OP, I'm NOT a really HUGE fan of scifi/fantasy.I'd rather not be molested by a hobbit or Star Trek fanatic if you get my drift.:|:D Plus this was a convention I had planned on going to with my now ex-husband so it'd be kinda bittersweet if I went,especially since I'd be going alone to either event.

Going to a boogie & not jumping is like ordering a steak & just smelling it.

I've been to about 5-6 boogies in the last several years and havent jumped at any of them.It was only at this last boogie that I attended did problems arise for me that made me regret a few things about going on the trip.Ofcourse things *can* get a bit slow on the ground at a boogie while everyone is jumping and having fun in the air.But theres still fun to be had and friends to catch up with if I go to Aggieland(since its my original home dz).I guess its all about the company you keep.

I just had to see the Hitchhiker's Guide bit to know where I'd be going if I were in your shoes :P

:P:P back at ya! who doesnt like Hitchhiker's Guide? But as I said above, I dont want to be molested by any geeks and I've heard there *is* going to be a costume contest....so thats kinda scaring me a bit away from the con.:|

I'm 50/50 on the fence right now personally even though the poll has me going to the convention.Oh well I still have some days to consider it all.:S

I'd say go for the convention. I would not want to go to a boogie and not jump.

yeah...going to LP and not jumping was:|:|:| .....but there is more to most boogies than just the jumping - the extracurricular activities are fun if you know where to look. I seemed to find trouble without a problem;););)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Come to Chicks Rock...I'll make sure you're not alone, and make sure you're not molested.

LOL! I'd LOVE nothing better than to go to Chicks Rock,but I dont have that much money to spend at the moment for airfare to Cali. I just started my new job with the newspaper and we only get paid about $40 per article published and I've only done 6 articles and dont get paid again until the 1st of Oct.Plus I cant miss school right now as we're getting ready for mid-terms.[:/]

I wish I could make it out that way for Chicks Rock.Maybe next year.For now its gonna have to be a semi-local boogie close to home until I get more $ and graduate.:(

Thanks for the offer though!:)