meistwer

Rig for begginer...I'm too confused!

Hi there,

I'm new in the sport and got my AFF done 2 weeks ago. I want to buy my own rig so I've been looking around but there so many types, brands, sizes, models.... that I'm totally confused.
:S
Please guys, help me out and give some advice in what I should get, I'll be really thankful of getting some expert advice.....cheers!

First, take the next 10-20 jumps and figure out what size and type of canopy you will be learning on for the next 50-100 jumps (instructors and safe, experienced jumpers are critical here). Look for a container that's cheap, safe, and fits reasonably well that will handle at least one downsize. You probably won't be trying to fly on your head for the first hundred jumps so that new Vector 3 can wait.. Pick up a used Cypres with a few years left and a sound reserve and you're saddled up for <$2k. Comapre that to gear rental, 50 jumps at $25 each and it just about pays for itself. Unless you're an odd sized jumper you should be able to recover most of your investment. Other new or retiring jumpers are good places to look for deals. Just remember when you go to unload it on the next up and comer that skydiving isn't about money, it's about giving back to the sport.

I see some people get off AFF and immediately go out and blow $4k+ on new gear and downsize or quit in six months and lose a bunch on the resale. Just my opinion, but I'm a scratch and dent kinda guy.

Here's what I did --
1) After graduating AFF, stopped using student gear and began renting sport rigs.
2) Asked a lot of questions and payed very close attention to what my instructors advised - Usually over a beer or two.
3) Rented for 80+ jumps before buying. I'm now confident that I will stay with my set up for a significant number of jumps, probably a few years with the same container.

P.S. I'm a complete newbie so don't assume I know anything.
At my DZ it seems to be common practice to have ~60-70+ jumps before buying a rig (Several people have over 100 jumps and just now ordering new rigs)
If you have a demo program available to you, you should consider using it, specially if you want to buy new gear.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!