ifall

Do South Africans say cheers?

This is a serious question. I know a lot of other non-American English speaking countries say it but I'm curious as to if it is used in South African culture. I'm trying to be polite to someone I will need to correspond with through work who I found out is from South Africa. I know its not the same but often when I speak with an Indian colleague I say hello, thank you and how are you doing in Hindi which caught him by surprise the first time I did it.

Thanks!:)

Yes, they do say Cheers in South Africa but more often its as a means of saying goodbye or 'see you later' than thanks. Although people use it to say thanks too.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Are they Afrikaans or English white South Africans? Or are they black or coloured? (Different tribes have different languages, even the white tribes)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

This is an English speaking white African. I guess I just want to know the proper or semi-formal/friendly way to say hello and goodbye. I had worked with some cameramen one year when I helped set up all the sound boards, ran wire to and from trailers and other misc stuff for the ATP when it came to town and I think I recall them using it a bit but the company I contracted with was from the UK so I thought I may be wrong. Thanks!

As Squeak used it so well, Howzit? is a common greeting in South Africa amoung many South Africans, its informal and friendly.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

This is a serious question. I know a lot of other non-American English speaking countries say it but I'm curious as to if it is used in South African culture. I'm trying to be polite to someone I will need to correspond with through work who I found out is from South Africa. I know its not the same but often when I speak with an Indian colleague I say hello, thank you and how are you doing in Hindi which caught him by surprise the first time I did it.

Thanks!:)

Was married to an Afikaan woman and still use "Howzit and cheers" with out even thinking.
Damn! now i want Biltong and Nandos chiicken.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

If you are the foreigner and you are polite in saying hallo or goodbye then it is seen as being polite and friendly. When you say "Howzit my China" and you don't know the person then no.

Cheers I use mainly when I say goodbye and I am South African. I don't know of any other way of saying cheers as a greeting except when you clink beer and say "cheers".

And yeah, Howzit mainly means hi, but as a foreigner I am not so sure you should use it.

If you are the foreigner and you are polite in saying hallo or goodbye then it is seen as being polite and friendly. When you say "Howzit my China" and you don't know the person then no.

Cheers I use mainly when I say goodbye and I am South African. I don't know of any other way of saying cheers as a greeting except when you clink beer and say "cheers".

And yeah, Howzit mainly means hi, but as a foreigner I am not so sure you should use it.

Agreed, although I learnt to also say 'cheers' for 'thank you' while on extended stays in England.

:D Cheers.