Gravitymaster

*Warning re: Delta Airlines

D oesn't
E ven
L et
T hem
A board that used to be just terrorists , now it's your rig as well.

Delta sucks big time. I've had more problems with them than any other airline. Why is it the good airlines fold and shit bag airlines like DELTA thrive? If I'm lucky DELTA will fold while I'm alive and I'll be the happiest man alive.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Did you really expect them to grant a high level meeting with some joe who walks in off the street?

I think it's unfortunate that you ran into some employees who didn't know their own policy.

Shortly after you posted the initial story, I emailed Delta and asked for a letter on official letterhead outlining Deltas policy on Parachutes. I'm told it's in the mail.

I asked a simple request, and they quickly granted it.

I will fly Delta again, but I will fly prepared to explain what my gear is, and I will back my explanations with the Cypres card, and Deltas official policy.

Angry rants over email making unrealistic demands will get you nowhere.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Did you really expect them to grant a high level meeting with some joe who walks in off the street?

I didn't ask for a high level meeting. Iasked to meet with their Security People.

I think it's unfortunate that you ran into some employees who didn't know their own policy.

As evidenced by Ms. Futch, they acted on Delta's policy.

Shortly after you posted the initial story, I emailed Delta and asked for a letter on official letterhead outlining Deltas policy on Parachutes. I'm told it's in the mail.

Did you ask for their policy on parachutes or Cypres. Big difference.

I asked a simple request, and they quickly granted it.

Let us know what their policy on Cypres is O.K.?

I will fly Delta again, but I will fly prepared to explain what my gear is, and I will back my explanations with the Cypres card, and Deltas official policy.

Which is EXACTLY what I did. Read my original post. The problem isn't with Parachutes. It's with a Cypres. You can get their policy on parachutes from their web page.

Angry rants over email making unrealistic demands will get you nowhere.

No angry rant. Not an unrealistic demand. I simply made an offer to try and set things right and to hopefully educate them.

_Am

I've never had a problem flying with my Cypres equipped rig on Delta. I flew From Houston to Atlanta and back on Delta in Novemver plus I flew on Delta and Comair (Delta Connection) to the WFFC last year to Chicago Midway and back with no problems. This January I flew America West with my rig to Palm Springs from Houston. I had no problems going but coming back I spent about 10 minutes at security explaining about my rig and Cypres. I had the letter from the Cypres website. The USPA letter that was posted here and photos of my Cypres when it was out of my rig for it's 4 year check. I finally got through when a lady TSA supervisor explained to the screeners that parachute rigs are OK and specifically Cypres is a non-dangerous item. This compressed gas (CO2) thing is a misconception left over from the olden days of the early AAD's and has no basis of fact when it comes to Cypres. You just got a Delta agent who was uneducated to this fact.

When Cypres got approved by the DOT Airtec was issued a TSO or Technical Standard Order Part Number for the device just like our rigs and reserves are and is every part of the airplane you fly on.

When I got through security at Palm Springs I called SSK and also infromed the USPA the next day as to what happened. I also did a search of the TSA website press releases and found out the name of the TSA Security Director from Palm Springs. I called and also sent him a letter adressing my concerns in regard to Cypres. I found out about his background on the website and also in my letter gave him a rundown of my background in aviation and skydiving. I attached the SSK letter and USPA website letter. I received a wonderful reply that said to that he would see to it that his screeners are trained in regard to Cypres and the ongoing efforts of the TSA and USPA in regard to parachutes and Cypres in particular. He would also bring this up with the TSA Training Dept. on a national scale. I sent all this material to Ed Scott at USPA.

With Cliff from SSK working with Delta I don't feel you would have any more problems flying with them. I also know personally of a situation that one of our Houston skydivers had with American that Cliff straigtened out that came out with American apologizing and flying him back to Houston in First-Class.

Blue Skies

In the final analysis of this situation:

1. Ed Scott never even bothered to contact me even though I call him twice at USPA and left a message and sent him an email, which he never responded to. Thanks Ed, nice to know you were there to lend a hand when a paying USPA member needed your help.

2. Cliff Schmucker and I corresponded with a few emails. He was going to look into it and get back to me. He never did. Thanks Cliff. I'll remember you when my 1994 Cypres needs to be replaced.

3. Delta Airlines still insists the Cypres contains "compressed gas" and to date hasn't done anything to assure me the situation has been corrected. I sent my Air Miles Card back to them with a nice letter explaining how I wouldn't be able to give them my business again because of this incident and their attitude towards skydivers. I also gave up a credit of $225. from a problem I had with them last April where they lied to me about what steps needed to be taken to use the credit and then denied what they told me after I returned (I was also hasseled on that trip and was lucky to be "allowed" on the plane).

I'm done with Delta, they are done with me, Oh Bla dee... Oh Bla dah.... life goes on, Oh.... tra la la as life goes on.................B|

Bob

Ed didn't contact me after I sent him the materials that I sent the TSA Security director in Palm Springs. Nonetheless I managed to get one airport's security force educated with a little bit of tact and perseverance. I agree with you in one aspect, there seems to be a sporadic problem with Delta in regard to parachutes and Cypres. It has also happened at Miami with a gate security check, something that is not done anymore. I personally have never had any problems flying Delta with my gear especially here at Houston Intercontinental as most of the staff know me. The same goes for Southwest. If you still feel the way you do I would give them your business out of BWI because they are fully knowledgeble as their Director of Safety Mr. John Andrus was instrumental in securing the DOT approval for Cypres.

Also if you called Delta on the phone with your concerns, you should have asked to speak with their Director of Corpprate or Flight Safety. This person would have the whole skinny on parachutes and Cypres. You could have also did a search of the TSA press releases on the TSA website www.tsa.gov and found out who the Security Director for Dulles is and write him a letter enclosing a brief resume of your skydiving experience, a copy of the SSK/DOT letter in regard to Cypres and the USPA letter from their website etc. I did after my little minor incident at Palm Springs and it worked wonders. According to the TSA Director in Palm Springs, the TSA by now has or is in the process of having directives in regard to parachutes and specifically Cypres out to the screener workforce in the field so the problem that you encountered should be eliminated.

Getting back to Delta, they along with all other airlines have skydivers that work for them. A very well known Style and Accuracy jumper Stu Metcalfe is a pilot for Delta.

In summation, I've never had a problem flying with Delta anywhere with my Cypres equipped rig. I've had it wiped down with an EDS test at Raleigh Durham but that only took about 5 minutes and I was on my way to the plane. You could have asked the screener at Dulles to wipe your gear bag down or you rig with the testing paper in the same manner and you probably would have got through security OK. Carry a copy of the USPA letter and SSK/DOT letter with you and you may also have you rigger make a photo of the whole Cypres assembly or do it yourself next time your rig is due for a repack and take that all these along with the individual airlines policy on parachutes with you next time you fly.

Anyone who looks at the photos and matches them up to the X-ray can see that Cypress is nowhere near the size of a CO2 cartridges.

Hopes this all helps.

Chris

Wow I can't believe you all have had so many problems with airlines and CYPRES's. Last year I flew all over. From California to Hawaii, Hawaii to California, California to Texas, Texas to Illinois, Illinois back to Texas and so on and so on. Never had a single problem. I just bought one of those big plastic tubs from Target, put my rig and all of my gear in it and tied a rope around it.

Just make sure you put it in a container that is hard to open or put your rig in a big plastic bag and then in a container. The one time I did not use a container, Aloha Airlines returned my rig to me with my pilot chute & bridle hanging out and minor cosmetic damage. I was not happy about it to say the least. >:(

But those big plastic tubs work great and you can just check them in with the rest of your luggage and not have to worry about dragging them through the security checks, that is if you feel okay parting with your rig. B|

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."