theonlyski

AFN Commercials

whats your favorite (read: most annoying) AFN commercials??

im having a tough time trying to decide if the code of conduct commercials are the worst... or the sexual assult ones.

guys/gals that know what im talking about??
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The worst/best are the "security awareness" ones.

In particular the one with two teenage girls talking and some guy comes up and gives them some "friendly advice"

That dude is fucking creepy, they should be reporting his ass.

I also hate the ones where some random officer drones monotonously about some random topic. No one has any idea what they are talking about because it is scientifically designed to be the MOST boring thing in the universe.
"User assumes all risk"

theres just so many to choose from...

i dont get the point on why they broadcast the recruiting ads...

you're overseas, either in the military or a dependant of someone who is... you dont need commercials!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

im army, at an airforce lodging place right now

and i think... i should join the airforce... these fuckers get everything!

im having a tough time trying to decide if the code of conduct commercials are the worst... or the sexual assult ones.

I despise the stateside PSA commercials that make it on there. There's a new one that has an asterisk and I don't have a fucking clue what the hell it's about.:S
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I despise the stateside PSA commercials that make it on there. There's a new one that has an asterisk and I don't have a fucking clue what the hell it's about.:S

how about the god commercials...

they just have some words or something that fade in and out with some weird music and it says something like im here...god

i HATED the greetings from home, fuck that demotivated me so much to see people happy in San Diego telling me to come home soon. Assholes! drove me fucking banana's.

whats even worse, its peoples families that you dont know, will never meet and they just say hurry home

im trying!!

Repent Sinner!

You don't want to join those whiny baby fairies!

For penance you should put on an 80 lb ruck and do a quick 30 miles to get your head straight.

i need to get off my ass and do another 50 miler

finished the one i did in just shy of 18 hours...

couldnt walk straight for a few days, but, thats what i get for not keeping my feet in check

Sounds like the same AFN commercials from when I was stationed in Germany in the 1980's. Do they still do the "AFN waive"?:S

im not sure... i havnt seen anything like that

and id believe some of these commercials are from the 80s
just like the pic of that dude in the shoppette eating a hotdog

he is freaking everywhere, old white guy, airforce bdus, grey hair, bushy ass mustashe, and looks wayyyyyy too excited to be eating a hotdog

these should bring back some memories to the guys who've spent anytime overseas and seen any afn for a period of time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvNMBrZW8BE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bNrrQ7xhyQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrPMOyAhG0M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhgf1ZrtMyc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwz5Ebfz2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTH8WqsZJxQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5h-CLCcSgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYyPJ3GBiA8

The one with the Southpark ripoff characters. It's some bad attitude guy always beating his tv or something and always looking up at the narrator. What the hell are they trying to sell?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The one with the Southpark ripoff characters. It's some bad attitude guy always beating his tv or something and always looking up at the narrator. What the hell are they trying to sell?

Most of those are bad PSAs about AFN converter boxes and such.

There really are no advertisements for anything to buy on AFN.

Maybe if they would sell real advertising they could afford a better production budget.
"User assumes all risk"

There are some new ones coming out that are pretty decent.

There are 3 different sources for the spots.
1. The PSA's (ever one hates them)
2. The Locally produced ones from the AFN Production Office (some times one dude and a PC with a lap top)
3. The US Produced Ones for the RTPO (AFRTS)- these are the good ones (actually produced through a production company that has done movies, TV shows and Documentaries)

The recruiting/retention ones are there for that exact reason, to recruit and retain. Think of the Blue to Green Program and Green to Gold Program.

The "Pride in Unit" spots are to help advertise the other units in each service. Every one knows of SF, SEAL's, Force Recon or PJ's, but how about the US Navy Marine Mammal Program? Most know of the Thunderbirds but, other than here and a close knit bunch, who knows the Black Daggers?

You could always send us a list of the likes and dislikes, it will help us to keep your attention in relaying the info the DoD wants to ensure you have.

I know where your coming from, I saw them on and off for 21 years from your point of view.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Maybe you should explain to the general readership what "AFN" stands for.

Armed Forces Network

Its satellite tv and fm radio for servicemembers (and families) who are stationed/deployed outside the continental us

http://www.afneurope.net/

It used to be "Armed" now it is "American Forces Network", part of the "American Forces Radio Television Services". It was re-named in a PC attempt to not upset the host nations:S.

Matt

when did that happen? i dont remember getting that memo.

couldnt have been too long ago

You could always send us a list of the likes and dislikes, it will help us to keep your attention in relaying the info the DoD wants to ensure you have.

Ok this is really easy.

Instead of using random officers for PSAs use actors. Attractive ones.

If you want me to pay attention to the screen, put a pretty girl on it.

Preferably one who can act.

Too easy.
"User assumes all risk"