justinb138

FCI Sentry/Rage

I'm jumping a 185 rage, sweet openings, great turn rate, likes to dive, long recovery arc, faster than my saber2 190. Please note I only have a few jumps on this canopy, these are just my first impressions.

blue skies

Jerry

edit to add My WL is 1.3.

I'm jumping a 185 rage, sweet openings, great turn rate, likes to dive, long recovery arc, faster than my saber2 190. Please note I only have a few jumps on this canopy, these are just my first impressions.

blue skies

Jerry

edit to add My WL is 1.3.

How does the flare compare to the Sabre2?

i have about 150 jumps on mine, and like it alot. I have never jumped a sabre 2 so I cant really compare the 2, but I would imagine it to be a lot more aggressive since the rage is a fully elliptical, higher performance canopy. The only thing that I can compare it to is a heatwave, which i had before the rage. It is a lot more ground hungary ad dives alot more. It also opens really nice. It has good flare, but like i said, i have never jumped a sabre 2 to compare.

I would hesitate to compare the saber2 vs rage, as they are completely different platforms, and as I said I only have a few jumps on the rage. For what its worth the saber2 is more forgiving. I'm still trying to dial in the rage.

blues

Jerry

Thanks for the info. ;)

I demo'd a Sentry for about 20 jumps and it was pretty sweet... Beautiful openings and a very stable platform. I only had about 30 jumps when I got it, so from a beginner's perspective... it was the perfect canopy for me.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

you do realize the Sentry and Rage are two competely different canopies, right?

The Rage is a 9-cell, elliptical canopy designed for higher performance flight at higher wingloadings.

The Sentry is a 9-cell rectangular canopy designed for much more docile flight. Probably the better option for 85 jumps.

you do realize the Sentry and Rage are two competely different canopies, right?

Yep, I was just curious about both, as I haven't talked to anyone that has flown either. ;)

The Rage is a 9-cell, elliptical canopy designed for higher performance flight at higher wingloadings.

The Sentry is a 9-cell rectangular canopy designed for much more docile flight. Probably the better option for 85 jumps.

I'm probably going to give the Sentry a try. I don't plan on going any smaller than what I'm currenlty flying (a 230, loaded around 1.06), but I've had a hard time finding a canopy I'm 100% happy with, so I've been trying to find out what my options are in canopy choices.

I loved the way the Sabre2 landed, but I'm hoping to find something that's a little quicker in the turns that lands just as well. B|

Quicker in the turns is an elliptical ;) I can spin a Sabre2 up into line twists so I know if you fly it hard its more aggressive then most people give it credit for.

I put about 20 jumps on a Silhouette 230 prior to jumping the Sabre2. I loved the openings, packing it was a breeze, and I could make quick toggle turns and spiral the hell out of it with ease. Riser turns were difficult with it, and after landing the Sabre2 the flare seemed weak in comparison.

The openings with the Sabre2 were decent, a little off heading on occasion, but managable. The end cell closure on every jump wasn't a problem, but was somewhat annoying after a while. The toggle pressure seemed quite a bit higher than the Silhouette, and while I could spiral it , it was difficult to keep it going for more than a 360 or so. The riser pressure was lower than the Silhouette, but the brake settings seemed a little short on the demo I had, so I didn't play with the fronts too much. Landings on the Sabre2 were simply awesome. Depending on how the few other demos go, I may buy the Sabre2 for the landings alone. I was toying with the idea of trying a 210 to get a little bit more responsiveness with it, but I don't really feel comfortable going any smaller than a 230 until I either lose some weight or learn to fly the shit out of it. ;)

If there was a canopy that packed, opened, and flew like the Silhouette (with a slightly longer recovery arc), and landed like the Sabre2, I'd already have the order form filled out. :P

I plan on trying out a Firebolt 236, Safire2 229, and maybe a Sentry 230 in the next month or two, so hopefully I'll find something I'm happy with. :)

The only thing that I can compare it to is a heatwave, which i had before the rage. It is a lot more ground hungary ad dives alot more. It also opens really nice. It has good flare, but like i said, i have never jumped a sabre 2 to compare.

I was under the impression that it performed somewhere between the Sabre2 and the Stilleto, but if it's more aggressive than that I don't plan on jumping it. Thanks for the info, it's been marked off my list. ;)