LisaH

The germ quiz

10/11

I really truly wish they would have put a question in there about overuse of antibiotics.

I was happy to see a poster in my doctor's office about how colds and flus don't need antibiotics. Now if we can just get off this "disinfectant, antibiotic, germ-killiing" product spree, maybe we won't speed along the superbug =/
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I missed the one on where to keep your toothbrush.

Who would keep it by the bedroom window? My cats sit up there. Eww. :P

I missed the one on influenza. I got the toothbrush one right based on the assumption that UV light would be bad for things that like to live somewhere dark (inside a mouth).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

So much for the 5 second rule! :ph34r:

The problem was, they were never able to explain the 5 second rule to the bacteria.:S
The little bastards just jump right on instead of waiting.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I missed the one on where to keep your toothbrush.

Who would keep it by the bedroom window? My cats sit up there. Eww. :P

I missed the one on influenza. I got the toothbrush one right based on the assumption that UV light would be bad for things that like to live somewhere dark (inside a mouth).

Blues,
Dave

Those were the two I missed. Hell, I worked in a hospital for seven years, and never heard of either. Funny story from my hospital days:

I was in the plant operations dept. We maintained, electrical, mechanical, HVAC, plumbing systems. Normally, as if there were no patients in the OR, we could go in at night and do work as provided we wore shoe covers. One night I started to go in, not knowing they were prepping to bring in an ER patient. The nurse who stopped me, gave me an opening line I just couldn't pass up;

Nurse: "STOP! You're not sterile!"

Me: "Sure I am! I had a vasectomy!":ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Several studies suggest that babies who are exposed during their first year of life to microbes that live in animal fur are 70 percent less likely to later develop asthma and allergies to cats, dogs, dust mites, and ragweed--unless a parent or caregiver smokes. The theory is that the early exposure to animals helps teach the developing immune system to recognize that common allergens pose no harm. But exposure to cigarette smoke somehow interferes with the immune system's development.

THIS is interesting, if true. It seemed to me that before scientific opinion was all over the map regarding what makes some children develop a lot of allergies while others do not.

If cigarrette smoking around kids screws up their immune system, I wonder if we'll see fewer childhood asthma cases now that significantly fewer people are smoking nowadays?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------