jacobos

Canopy questions.

Please don't laugh, but what is the difference between a seven cell and a nine cell canopy? Besides the obvious number of cells. Is one more high performance then the other? Is one better for beginers? I am new to the sport and I'm starting to shop around for equipment so I'll probably have more silly questions later.[:/]

I’m by no way a canopy expert but..

7 cells is Generally a more docile platform, with a steeper trim and different flare. Weaker and less forgiving.

The 9 cell has more performance base, and an obviously stronger flare. They also have flatter glide ratios.

Each has exceptions to the rules. If you’re new to the sport, talk to your instructors. They'll probably set you up with a Sabre2/ Pilot at an appropriate WL to your skills as a student/ new jumper.

Just because it has 7 or 9 cells does not mean its tame/ or extremely high performance. Every canopy has a personality and your instructors and DZO will probably be able to help you finding the right mix.

7 cells is Generally a more docile platform, with a steeper trim and different flare. Weaker and less forgiving.

How can something be both more docile and less forgiving?

I get loads of flare out of my 7 cell. I find it much easier to land than a similarly sized 9 cell. To each his/her own. This is why demoing mains prior to buying is a good idea, instead of buying what someone else says is the best.

In limited experience, I've found that I can plane out and land softly more easily with the 9 cells I demoed, compared to my triathlon which requires more toggle. That could be a reflection of the steeper glide angle, or just of my canopy.

Using the full range of toggles is of course a better route than picking a 9 cell that lets me get away with bad form.

The triathlon also turns less quickly with equilivent toggle inputs, which could qualify it as more docile, yet still less forgiving on the final landing.

Demos are a great thing, esp at boogies where I've seen both PD and Aerodyn twice this year.

Ops :$- wasn’t clear on that. Be more docile in the performance/ flight department, and less forgiving in the flare department. From the 9cells I have jumped, all the 9cells flared much easier- while both my Diablo and Triathlon flared well-- to hit the "sweet" spot was much harder.

With the same size Sabre2- I could shut it down in no wind conditions- but with my Diablo it took 15 jumps to learn to shut it down in no wind. And with the Diablo, as well as the Triathlon I have never had a “pop” on the end of my flare unless there was some kind of induced speed while on the Sabre2- it had ample power to pop up at the end of flare.

I hope that makes more sense

Dave.

but a used triathlon is cheap, unlike that spectre.

I often had the spectre as a rental before my rig was complete. Unfortunately, it was usually a 210 instead of a more appropriate 230. Had the same issus of flaring late, and not completely. Definitely responded more quickly than my 90s era tri, but still not like a pilot or a fusion.

Haha very nice. Another aerodyne sucks round.

No but for real-

I jumped a Triathlon210 for a 150 jumps. Resonable canopy, good openings, and a good platform to start out on.

I jumped a Specter190; new 150; and broken in 150 and man- all of them where not on my favorites list in the openings category. I think its something im doing but all of the specters I have jumped opened.. well rather, positive.

I like the specter in every aspect, except the opening. The openings where just plain brutal.

But i will admit- the nicest opening I ever saw on video was a specter.. just it wasnt my video.

dave.

I try never to get in a pissing war over gear but on your your comment about the the TRI I would argue to the grave! Since I started to jump in '96 and been an instructor,I have jump ALOT of 9 cell and a few 7 cell round ,semi fully ellips. & squares. Each had there own positives & negative but it comes down to want you want,need and "what works for you' Started on a Manta to a Sabre to Spectre to a Sabre2 to Shilloette then 2 diferrent size Stillettos then made a mistake under a Velocity. Found out after that the Tri was what worked best for ME after a serious injury So to each jumper demo ,demo,demo and chose what works for your level ,conditions and comfort .Sorry for the lon post Bryan
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)