matthewcline

Word of Caution

To those who by used canoies from the DRMO (Defense Reutilization Marketing Office) facility at the local Military instalation.

If you buy a used 101st canopy it is not air worthy.

When we send them to DRMO they have 1500 plus jumps.

300 jumps will be with smoke damage from freefall deployments.

The remaining jumps are are a mixture of CRW, smoke started under conpy, student use (we put the students under the less than "white" looking canopies for a year, then they get a new one at thier "D" License and PRO rating) and 2 or 3 dunkings in the pool as the water rig canopy.

Please folks these canopies will be good wall hangers but not good for flying use.

They are typically 5 years old and suffer the "slag" damage from smoke, clorine from the pool and the 3rd set of lines are out of trim.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Diablo,

The canopies are out there, not just 101st canopies but other teams too, and they are well ragged out when we ship them off to DRMO.

Most recently the canopies are cut in half from nose to tail right in the center so no one will hurt them selves. Some one is sewing them back together[:/] and selling them.

So far the no fault agrement a purchaser signs has not been challenged as all the legal folks (on both sides) see it as pretty much bullet proof.

But agrrement only applies to the military from the first hand purchaser. A second hand purchaser could clean the assets out of the first hand purchaser if there was to be an incident.

And what if a purchaser used one of these canopies for a Demo as a Vet of the Army, 101st, 82nd ABN, etc etc ... then biffed a member of the audience?

So again a Word of Caution! None of the canopies are air worthy.

I am not the only one saying this. FCI (Flight Conepts International) is saying it too! And they makethe canopies.

I agree with what youare saying. Anyone unscrupulous enough to repair then resell and not diclose the nature of the product is an ass.

OTOH I have my $42 Knights Stiletto, but I knew what I was getting into there.....:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Diablo,

That is probably the biggest thing. You KNEW what your into with it.

Some people buying these thing (even the first hand purchaser) has no clue, but more importantly the second hand buyer is not being told.

I too have jumped a $50 GK Stil. 150 and a $100 GK Star Trak 1.

But then again I KNEW they happened to be well "used";).

hopefully this well help some one who may be looking at one of these old canopies.

Yep these things can be gotten cheap, is that all your life is worth?

(Not a question directed at you Diablo)

:D

After spending 5 years in gear sales I can't count the number of times I've said that to someone.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

:D

After spending 5 years in gear sales I can't count the number of times I've said that to someone.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
An ambulance ride will cost more than all the money you saved buying cheap gear.

someone buys DRMO gear that isn't airworthy and sells it as being "in good condition".

So why doesn't the Army just destroy the old canopies instead of passing them along to a secondary market where they can create a problem?

I can understand the Army wanting to recover some money from the sale of old equipment. I'm all for that. But when life-threatening safety is involved, wouldn't safety be more important than the few bucks they would get from these items?

We the taxpayer put the idiots in office that make this policy happen.

Some time a while back some "constiuant" (sp) wanted access to jeeps, guns, uniforms, etc. So they put presure on thier Representative and wam bam now we have to put this stuff on the DRMO market.

The none-servicable stuff is sold in bulk to be recycled in some other manner (nylon jackets from parachutes etc) but every now and then a worker/buyer finds a "good" parachute, or helmet or vest etc and re-sells it.

Now we make the canopy so un-servicable you couldn't fix it for cheap, it may cost as much as new by the time it is repaired.

But a few got out before this started taking affect and some one will get hurt as a student or on a demo or a boogie and it all could be avoided.