btvr

Oxygn A3 visor

Last weekend on two jumps my visor popped open in freefall. The first was when I flipped upside down and just brushed it off as a fluke because of the wind just catching it right. The second happened in a stable bellly to earth position. On the ground when I open the visor it doesn't seem to open any easier than it ever did. Has this happened to anyone? If so what did you do to remedy the problem? Thanks

On the first Oxygn I bought the visor flipped open and ripped off twice in four jumps - but I think the helmet mould was wrong because it never really looked like a good fit around the nose section between the visor and the helmet. What did I do? demanded a replacement! It was only two days old! And all credit to Square 2 I got one too - straight away. Never had a problem since. ;)

You see a few people with gaffer tape holding the visor down though.
:S

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Mine did a few times with it ripping off once. I evuentually just took it out and wear goggles unde rthe helmet now. Like it better that way anyhow..

Scott

ditto for me. Mine was actually kicked first, then never would stay shut after that.
Scars remind us that the past is real

I have had mine open twice that I can remember. Once while I was bootie flying and the other was in the wind tunnel on my belly. I still have the same visor on my helmet and those two incidents seem to be isolated.
I know that sometimes it is easy to not seat it all the way when closing it, particularly when you close it while wearing gloves.

Last weekend on two jumps my visor popped open in freefall. The first was when I flipped upside down and just brushed it off as a fluke because of the wind just catching it right. The second happened in a stable bellly to earth position. On the ground when I open the visor it doesn't seem to open any easier than it ever did. Has this happened to anyone? If so what did you do to remedy the problem? Thanks

The visor is held in place by the spring loaded hinge pulling it rearwards into the recess in the helmet opening. In particular, the TOP of the visor needs to seat securely in the recess. The part around the nose really doesn't matter very much.

Whenever I close mine, I run my fingers over the rubber seal at the top of the visor to ensure it is seated properly. Not had one problem since doing this (implying that i had a problem prior to doing this). Helmet has around 1000 jumps on it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If the visor has been opened by force (such as you suggested in your first incident) the ratchet mechanisims are easily damaged. A new set will cost you aabout $8 to $10. Youll never get the lens really secure again till you replace them.

Many tunnel flyers tape the lens shut anyway. Regualrs to the tunnel have switched to the Factory Diver, or better yet even the Bonehead Mamba.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Thanks for all the input. I replaced the visor yesterday and saw a difference on how the new one sat as compared to the old one. Did a jump and did back loops, front loops ect... it stayed closed. I guess it was time for a new one, the old was all scratched anyway. Can't justify another 300 bucks for a new one just yet! Thanks...

every time you use it, the spring-based locking mechanism will get a little weaker.

Mine's fine so far with 200 jumps on it, not a lot I know. I am fussy about closing my visor and i always use 2 hands to do it (with gloves on), I then run my fingers over the top ridge of the visor and check it's seated correctly, so far no problems at all. Plus the Oxygn also allows me to wear my spec under it :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So?

Most mechanical devices will eventually fail. A3's are no different, which is why you have replacement parts that you can buy.

Since you hear a lot of negatives about A3's, let me say that mine just went through a full season of 4 way/load organizing/big ways with no incident including *gasp* opening the visor on the ride to altitiude every time!

Of course the lens is about due to be replaced but the locking mechanism is still sound.

Diablo is right about having a different helmet for tunnel though - I use my old Factory Diver in there.

Bill

every time you use it, the spring-based locking mechanism will get a little weaker.

Mine's fine so far with 200 jumps on it, not a lot I know. I am fussy about closing my visor and i always use 2 hands to do it (with gloves on), I then run my fingers over the top ridge of the visor and check it's seated correctly, so far no problems at all. Plus the Oxygn also allows me to wear my spec under it :)

I have close to 1000 on mine, the springs are just fine and the visor stays closed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.