skyflower_bloom

Another rather minor injury- face collided with step of plane on exit

Robyn sorry to hear of your bad experience. Hopefully you recover quickly. Typically when I have seen people hit the step it's because they balled up or looked down instead of going into an arch and keeping their head up. (remember "look up at the plane as you exit?") I'm not going to delve into the specifics of what you were or weren't taught at DZ #1 but am fairly confident that a slight side step, immediate arch, and look up at the plane as you are leaving were indeed covered (I'm guessing you may have heard a story about an instructor having someone in the plane hold up a certain number of fingers to the student as they came off the step and expecting the student to tell them post jump how many fingers were held up as a way to keep the students eyes on the plane?). I am not sure where you picked up to drag the inside leg, dragging the outside leg is something that is covered and reinforced from day one.

A few words to the wise...I would be cautious about coming to an internet site for advice, especially when on student status. It's quite easy for students to be nieve about advice they recieve and be led astray. You may have ten different pieces of advice that contradict eachother and will only serve to confuse you more. You also never know what an individuals motives or real experience level may be. I would strongly advise you to stick with advising your instructional staff at the DZ. After all they deal with you and have hopefully percieved the best way you learn the best way to present material to you based on past experience.
As for poised exits they are not simply a student only thing. They are something you will use often in your future skydiving activity. Especially if jumping 4 or 5 jumpers off the crowded step of a 182. :P

Thanks for the kind words and advice.
I definitely think my training at "dz #1" was exemplary, and do not blame anyone but myself.

As I said in my first post, it is probable these things were covered, just perhaps not in a way that I understood them well since I was taking in so much new info, differing learning styles, whatever.. and then the issues obviously got masked as stated, with the 2 JM poised exits in early AFF, since i was told my exits were great then. Tthey were, but i imagine the JMs' experience and their push/pull motion contributed much more than i did! It's a tricky one. and I simply didn't understand or integrate the technique properly- again, my issue, not any instructors'. But something for everyone to be aware of, as this forum I think is to share ad learn :)

I could go into some specific examples but that is not even relevant here- point is, I am ok, I am learning, and I believe all the instructors I have had have imparted valuable knowledge to me and no blame is coming from this direction.

Since I switched programs partway through by choice (and was duly warned- I was indeed told this could cause some problems with continuity, require repeat levels/costs, different teaching styles, etc., but was also told that my nature to be detailed and ask many questions would hopefully make it successful and more do-able, and safe, for me than someone who was more passive in their learning and absorbing of knowledge?)

But yeah- when you switch at the crucial point of the release dive and moving down to solo exits and one JM, issues can arise and that is something I hope we can all be cognizant of and learn from this. Maybe i should have done more research before starting a program. I just don't want others to go through what I am going through.

So, just to clarify, I have no intention of turning this into a one dz versus another thread, or a passive-aggressive type thing, just wanted to focus on getting feedback on the injuries- how to avoid it, factors involved, lessons learned, when it's safe to jump again-- those types of things.

I have absolutely zero personal issues with anyone in the skydiving instructing community or anyone else, except for my SELF for not realizing that getting way out and launching away from the step in one fashion or another would have been the appropriate way to go! and my painful swollen mouth and teeth.

But, get 'em fixed up this week and I learned a lot, so onwards i go... I think everyone's been really supportive (THANK YOU for that), and I'm hanging in there.

And I love the opportunity to get feedback from all sorts of skydivers on here, but yes, first and foremost my instructors will be and are the ones to help me improve. I watched the vid today and talked it through more, despite not jumping we went out to the dz for about ten hours for packing, talking, debriefing, and practicing on the mock-up. So, no matter what advice comes my way, I appreciate it a great deal, but understand that my instructors who are working with me on my jumps are the ones who need to have the final say.

Thanks again! Hope to see you around soon! Just anxious to get up in the air again and get it RIGHT! ;)
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

OUCH... you are one tough cookie....

Take a break and let your grill heal.

Also talk with your dentist.... If you are in any way connected with an industry; medical, advertising, etc... you may be able to get a "professional courtesy discount" my wife got one for her braces and it saved us about 2 grand.....
Never hurts to ask.

Good luck and watch the pain killers..... too many makes it hard to poo:o

By the way..... you type like my 3rd wife talked......

Very detailed;):ph34r: and ongoing

Thanks for the reply.. yeah I really only take them at night to help with sleep.. the amount of tylenol in there with the hydrocodone makes me nervous.. ibuprofen for swelling seems to do well, as does sea salt rinses.. it's definitely the worst today that it's been yet though..

Yeah I am officially on break from jumping >:(>:(>:( work will be done Wed/Thurs and then will see but give it a week or two after that methinks. I like the idea of checking about a discount.. I am a birth professional but a doula is not considered a medical professional so idk..

Oh.. and Southern Man, airtwardo, and ditto.. you can give me as much shit as you want, but you don't get a free pass when I feel like I have a knife sticking thru my bottom lip and I can't eat anything! I'm making an effort though, for what it's worth (though perhaps it is unnoticeable to normal human beings lol).
But I couldn't resist this observation ditto.. you can talk about your third wife's "tendencies," but maybe, just maybe, there's two sides to that coin?? It does take two to tango.. and two to break up.. none of us are perfect :P

Thanks for the replies and get well wishes guys.. i'll know tuesday what exactly needs doing and in the meantime i'll be out at the dz practicing on the ground/mock-up and learning to pack! :)

Hello again Skyflower. My home DZ is a Cessna 182 DZ and I have more jumps from Cessnas 182 than any other airplanes. I am explaining here my way to dive out of a Cessna 182. Since I am a big guy, anybody can do it since the space available is not a problem.

When the door of the Cessa 182 is open, I put my left foot in the lower left corner of the door while my right knee, slightly out of the door, is at the right lower corner of the door and holding the two vertical edges of the door with my two hands. I launched myself (getting propulsion from my left leg) toward a direction which is at 45 degrees from the fuselage and about 45 degrees down over the step WITHOUT USING THE STEP AT ALL. Remember than in the air, the step of a Cessna 182 is almost one foot lower than at the ground since the airplane leg doesn't support the weight of the airplane anymore. Think about keeping your body flat and passing low over the step. If you think high (to supposedly "avoid" the step), you rig will likely hit the top of the door or the wing and you will get unstable.
Now, you have to believe it works. People are reluctant for it because they are afraid to hit the step. Using the step with the foot very often makes you leaving going up and brush your rig on the wing. I believe my method is the cleanest and fastest in order to exit a Cessna 182.

Now if you want to exit a Cessna 182 facing the relative wind : You go at the very end of the step supported by your left foot only having the right leg dangling away. You swing your right leg to the rear then to the front to gain momentum then really hard to the rear again while letting go with legs and arms apart looking at the airplane (not down) to get you chin up and maintaining a good arch.

Another way to exit a Cessan 182 is to go at the end of the step and climbing with the help of two hands on the strut away from the step. You let yourself hanging up from the strut. Keep your legs apart and let go keeping arms and legs apart and looking at the airplane chin up. This is the way first jump students leave the Cessa 182 using the IAD (Instructor assisted deployment) method. Again come back to us for comments.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hello again Skyflower. My home DZ is a Cessna 182 DZ and I have more jumps from Cessnas 182 than any other airplanes. I am explaining here my way to dive out of a Cessna 182. Since I am a big guy, anybody can do it since the space available is not a problem.

When the door of the Cessa 182 is open, I put my left foot in the lower left corner of the door while my right knee, slightly out of the door, is at the right lower corner of the door and holding the two vertical edges of the door with my two hands. I launched myself (getting propulsion from my left leg) toward a direction which is at 45 degrees from the fuselage and about 45 degrees down over the step WITHOUT USING THE STEP AT ALL. Remember than in the air, the step of a Cessna 182 is almost one foot lower than at the ground since the airplane leg doesn't support the weight of the airplane anymore. Think about keeping your body flat and passing low over the step. If you think high (to supposedly "avoid" the step), you rig will likely hit the top of the door or the wing and you will get unstable.
Now, you have to believe it works. People are reluctant for it because they are afraid to hit the step. Using the step with the foot very often makes you leaving going up and brush your rig on the wing. I believe my method is the cleanest and fastest in order to exit a Cessna 182.

Now if you want to exit a Cessna 182 facing the relative wind : You go at the very end of the step supported by your left foot only having the right leg dangling away. You swing your right leg to the rear then to the front to gain momentum then really hard to the rear again while letting go with legs and arms apart looking at the airplane (not down) to get you chin up and maintaining a good arch.

Another way to exit a Cessan 182 is to go at the end of the step and climbing with the help of two hands on the strut away from the step. You let yourself hanging up from the strut. Keep your legs apart and let go keeping arms and legs apart and looking at the airplane chin up. This is the way first jump students leave the Cessa 182 using the IAD (Instructor assisted deployment) method. Again come back to us for comments.;)

no no no you take it one better than that. If you're out on the end of the strut, take it one step further and swing your feet up and hook them over the leading edge of the wing, let go of the strut and hang upside down from the wing by your feet/ankles. To exit simply tip your feet up and away you go. I've exited twice like that lately when I was last out and was planning on pulling high so I could take the spot a bit farther. :P

Don't jump until after they are fixed. The pressure changes of freefall can make things worse. I've heard of people who have recent fillings losing them from pressures changes in free fall. Those who have recently had a tooth pulled also were advised to not jump until they heal up as the wound can reopen from the pressure changes. I don't know all the techinical jargon but it's the same thing as not jumping when you have a cold.

The pressure changes in freefall have caused a healing wound on my leg to open back up and bleed like crazy....I can only imagine in the mouth! B|
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

Pressure changes only affect air cavities in the body, like ears and sinuses. If a filling is improperly done and a small air bubble is captured inside the tooth that would qualify as well. (Dental barotrauma; how's that for technical jargon, lol.) Unless you had an air bubble trapped in your leg, it was probably something else.
But what do I know?

Don't jump until after they are fixed. The pressure changes of freefall can make things worse. I've heard of people who have recent fillings losing them from pressures changes in free fall. Those who have recently had a tooth pulled also were advised to not jump until they heal up as the wound can reopen from the pressure changes. I don't know all the techinical jargon but it's the same thing as not jumping when you have a cold.

The pressure changes in freefall have caused a healing wound on my leg to open back up and bleed like crazy....I can only imagine in the mouth! B|

Bet you got some interesting looks after that jump!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well, today they did another exam, and a pulp sensitivity test with an electrical current device. Of the four top front teeth affected, two registered no response- meaning the tooth is totally dead, two root canals followed by crowns. A third, the pulp/root is healing up well and alive, but needs a crown- since the bite surface and back were also severely fractured, a veneer would not adequately address the issue according to the dentist. The fourth tooth is also alive/pulp responds to stimulation, and only has some minor chipping, and can be fixed by smoothing away rough edge and/or small amount of filling. The bottom four were just knocked about a bit but will heal up on their own and getting less painful. And the wound on my lip and little bites/scrapes all over my mouth should just heal fine over time too.. doing salt water rinses and taking antibiotics to ensure nothing gets infected. For now though, the pain is the worst it has been yet, and ran out of vicodin so let's hope tylonel and ibuprofen do something useful to allow to me to get some sleep, even without the narcotics thrown int it ;) And ya, drugs are bad mmmkay, and all that, but when there are damn good reasons for their utilization (such as moderate to severe pain and/or actual medical injuries) I think we need to take advantage of that particular modern technology 100% :ph34r:

Now, the bad part: The bill= Over 6k.

Lesson to be learned (other than that i am a dumbass- ok, a former dumbass in recovery from dumbassedness lol)-- make certain you have your bases covered. I thought that between a will, power of atty for healthcare, finance, guardianship docs for my son, DNRs, living will, and excellent medical coverage, along with the fact that I have what I THOUGHT was decent dental, I thought I was fine. Trust me, just what I listed costs over five times what insurance will pay for dental this year. I can either go into debt at 30% APR to pay it, or borrow from family, which is such a kind offer but we all know the kinds of strings that can come when money is lent among family or friends (they shouldnt, but sometimes they do) So-- even if you think your bases are covered, keep on a'covering, Make plans a, b, c, and even d!! lol. oh and also life insurance. Just, point being, don't assume all your bases are covered only to get fucked if something happens and you realize you made a mistake or overlooked something significant.

I cannot get in for the work until July 21st, so ground till then simply because there is currently opening/exposed fracture in the teeth that pressure change could effect, and due to the concern about disorientation due to either pain meds (which i wouldn't/couldn't take pre-jump) or pain itself (obviously, since i would not be on any pain meds!) Thus, while a few instructors and the pilot said I should be ok to jump, I think once I explained a bit more (it's actually a lot worse than first glance, most of the damage has to be explained or seen on xray) they seemed to concur a bit more on the side of caution- either way, I think I am staying on the side of caution here too..

But, luckily the dentist said, as one PP stated, that well done crowning would allow jumping asap if desired. He said he would have to make me a mouth guard for the warranty, for sports activities and sleeping, but i told him that if i managed to hit my teeth on the step again, there is a very serious problem beyond simply re-ficing the teeth!!

I also talked with a coach at my dz who had a root canal last year and she said she jumped 3 days later with no issues.. so i will see how i feel, but likely give it until the end of the month- as long as i can get jumping in by my birthday i am a happy camper lol. and i do have time to focus on packing and learning the "rules of the road" at my new(er) home dz. I have a packing lesson scheduled tomorrow at 11; wish me luck :)
There is a second visit a month from the first one where the major work is done, to fit the perm crowns, but I was told that as soon as the root canals and temps are on, I am good to go as soon as I feel ready. Honestly I wish I were already back up but like I said it;s a learning experience, and I can do other things around the dz as well as maybe stop procrastinating so much on my schoolwork this summer LOL- i cannot believe it is already July!!

Ok off to bed!! Thanks guys!

Here, Ill make an easier to read version:

My grill is jacked up, its going to cost 6 grand to fix, and I should be able to get it done in time to jump for my birthday.

The end.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

wait up,
in year or two she'll write an FJC manual.
Mandatory one.

Couple of them will end up as swoop weights for sure :D

:P i would be honored to know that much about the sport by then to write such a book (but on the downside, all FJC students- and instructors- everywhere would hate my guts..)

My grill is jacked up, its going to cost 6 grand to fix, and I should be able to get it done in time to jump for my birthday.

LOL. yeppers.

i do think it is relevant to add, though your version is indeed quite eloquent and accurate lol, that for new and reasonably responsible jumpers who want to get their ducks in a row prior to jumping out of planes-- don't assume that all dental coverage is created equal, or that if you have awesome medical coverage, you simultaneously have awesome dental coverage. sometimes life's a bitch like that.. and sometimes people are stupid like that.

just something else to throw on the "what to consider BEFORE jumping outta planes" list.

B| and yeah- BIRFFDAY JUMPIN'!!!!