skydiverbry

Kia Sportage

That's a bit like my situation.I want more of a SUV,then a wagon.Really want a vehicle capable of towing since I need to lug around a small trailer for my powered parachute. Hvae you test drve or looked at a Sportage? At first I was going with a Jeep Grand,but thier gas millage isn't so great,but better off-road capabilities and they are tried and true trail riders,but do I really need all that.
Yes I want it,but do I need it
Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I wanted one SOOOOOOOO bad. But the ride just killed me.
I have serious bad probles and blown SI joints.The little bit of the bucking put me down.I drove one for about 2 miles and that was all I could stand.
This is coming from a Jeep CJ owner from '82-98

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Hvae you test drve or looked at a Sportage?

Not yet... I'm not really actively looking yet... just passively... (researching, etc...) I'm probably at least 6 months away from actually buying a car yet... although the market is really right to buy one at the moment.

the only car I've test driven recently is a Saab 93 Sportcombi because I could get a free bike shirt for driving it... (which annoyingly I never recieved [:/])

and although it was a fun car to drive I'm not sure it was right for me...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I wanted one SOOOOOOOO bad. But the ride just killed me.
I have serious bad probles and blown SI joints.The little bit of the bucking put me down.I drove one for about 2 miles and that was all I could stand.
This is coming from a Jeep CJ owner from '82-98

That sucks. Was it stock or lifted and what year was it? I manage an offroad shop and if you really want a Wrangler I can certainly tell how to find one that is easy on your back. But that may take time as so many people put crap suspensions on their Jeeps.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Stock.2007 Wrangler Sport.
I can get sharp and stabbing pain just driving my Alero,so imagine that little bit of bounce ya get from the Jeeps.B|[:/]

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

We looked around at some options like the Sportage and settled on an Ford Escape that we just purchased. Ford is rebating the hell out of them right now and we got a total of $3000 on rebates to knock the price down a lot. The Sportage had the advantage with the warranty but when we looked at the resale value of the car and the safety rankings the Escape kept coming up as high or higher then the Sportage. By the time we figured in the rebates and the employee rates I was able to get we walked out at saving almost $5500 over MSRP and at that point the Escape won hands down,

The Escape had some nice features like 5 star ratings on all safety aspects that kept the price in insurance way down (its actually cheaper then my 6 year old Honda's insurance), towing options out the wazoo, Satellite radio, and better fuel mileage then the rest of the options we looked at.

Ford has $2000 in rebates on the I4's and $2500 on the V6's right now and they also have a program right now that is $1000 rebate if you own any other brand then a Ford brand. If you can find a 2008 on a lot the rebates are at $2500 and $3000 with the $1000 on top of that.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ford Escape

I thought I told you I would be effectively disowned if I purchased a Ford!!! (Dad is retired GM engineer) of course that is only sort of true as he most recently bought a Toyota minivan... :o

So although the Escape does look reasonably nice I'm not sure I'm able to seriously consider it... :D:D:P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I used to own a Ford and swore it off and switched to my Civic years ago and never thought I would buy anything but a Honda again but after seeing the quality change and design issues of the CR-V I looked around and at this point Ford seems to have finally caught back up with the rest of the overseas manufacturers for quality levels.

Ford cars are crap but if there is one thing Ford builds to last its a truck. I personally like the Tundra but they never have seemed to last as long as the old beater Ford trucks that are running around everywhere.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

when we looked at the resale value of the car and the safety rankings the Escape kept coming up as high or higher then the Sportage

That was one of the issues with ours. When I put her on my insurance the cost was sky high. I asked what gives and they said because of the safety rating.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

~last as long as the old beater Ford trucks that are running around everywhere.

There are some around, but considering volume sold...;)

I dunno, if the quality issue has been addressed then good for Ford.
The two I had were just out & out lemons in comparison to the jap trucks & SUV's I've had.

The 'Exploder' in the garage is on it's 3rd engine, 120,000 miles and always dealer maintained.
The electric windows quit working at 60,000. The 700.00 fuel pump died 200miles past warranty.
@ 75,000miles the seats quit working and the doors haven't locked right in 3 years even after the dealer pronounced 'em fixed...3times!

And ole 'Sally' is 10X better than the Expedition we traded for her...THAT thing sat in the dealers repair shop as much as it did in our garage. The first oil change couldn't be done because the engine wasn't put in straight which made pullin' the oil filter impossible, while fixing that they found that the tranny wasn't in right either and was linkage pinched so it would not shift into 3rd(automatic)...the tranny thing was an issue they'd seen on several of the same models.
Finally, someone crossed the center-line and hit us head on hard enough to bend the steering wheel 20degrees off center and not only didn't the airbags deploy, the driver side seat belt didn't lock down.

I'm friends with the sales manager and got great deals on both, just not happy with what I got.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Kia is considered a cheap car. They won't last much beyond 100K. I used to own one. The paint job sucks on all Kia cars. It peels off the front grill & bumper after about 3 years.

The oil had to be filled w/ 1 quart every 1500 miles after about 60K miles. It's either leaking or eating a lot of oil!

The brakes sucked. Almost rear-ended a couple of times on the freeway because there wasn't enough stopping power.

Have fun, but it's a throw away car.