MooChooser

Tandem drogue question.

Northern hemisphere, coriolis effect, the same reason that hurricanes always twist up the same direction...

(disclaimer - this was a joke)

:o

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

Is that why my velocity spins in the same direction on opening?

I think that most people dip their left shoulder to look over their right shoulder during opening. This can cause the left line groups to appear "shorter" than the right line groups, causing a spin in one direction most of the time. Just a theory...

Anyone know why they always twist up in the same direction?

I've been packing tandems for awhile and notice they twist both directions.

Jump

Tandem drogues have to be made to extremely tight standards, or they will spin...right or left. Just a change in the thread tension in the sewing machine...even changing bobbins...is enough to do it. Think of it...it's a tiny round parachute being pulled through the sky at 120 mph for 60 seconds at a time. I'm kind of amazed they all don't spin, yet only a few do. If you have a bad spinner, we will replace it for you.

Would it be possible to attach one to its bridle with a swivel or bearing, so even if it did spin it wouldn't twist up?

(Or is drogue spin just a thing, not really a problem?)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

(Or is drogue spin just a thing, not really a problem?)

Depends...:D
All you have to do is untwist it. But when you got TMs yelling "Can you get that for the next load?"
All you can say is "Hang on - I'm utwtisting the f****** drogue!"
:D:D:D:D
Scars remind us that the past is real

Not if you want the kill line to work.

And trust me, you REALLY want the kill line to work, if you value your cervical vertebrae. ;)

The rigging loft at RWS actually has some nifty solutions for spinning drogues, such as the offset stitching on the reinforcement tapes, that have worked very well. As always, I'm impressed at their knowledge and ability to address these issues with creative and effective solutions. Thanks, Bill!
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

I recently (OK Today) pulled out some old video my team shot of tandems from above (promo work).

The drogue does do a lot of twisting while the canopy turns. So does so many of our solo pilot chutes and it doesn't matter if it is a standard or collapsable model.

But you already knew that from our conversations during the Examinor course.;)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!