Phosphorus8

Yea so I'm pretty sure I got ripped off!

Tried to buy a rig on her from a dude named JeremyZien and talked to him for a few weeks about it. Finally decided to send $500 through western union for him to send me the rig, upon arrival I would send the remaining money. I sent the cash over a week ago and the guy is no longer responding to my Emails, I know there is a scam page but I am unsure who to tell about this. SUCKS!! [:/]
"Well behaved women rarely make history" - Marilyn Monroe

Tried to buy a rig on her from a dude named JeremyZien and talked to him for a few weeks about it. Finally decided to send $500 through western union ALARM BELLS[/RED] for him to send me the rig, upon arrival I would send the remaining money. I sent the cash over a week ago and the guy is no longer responding to my Emails, I know there is a scam page but I am unsure who to tell about this. SUCKS!! [:/]

Sorry - that's bad news:(. I don't think that there is very much that you can do about it... I friend of mine was stung by a WU fraud a couple of years ago ... and so I would never do that. But that doesn't help you - sorry....

Please, do a search in future on the best ways to pay for private sales on-line - but I'm sure that you will now, right?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

You should ALWAYS go though your and his rigger!!!
less likely to be screwed that way.

Sucks, hope you get your rig or money back.

Where is he from? Where did you send the $$? Post everything you know about him.
There might be people here who know him and can give him the shake down!
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I got ripped off for a little less than that on Ebay a few years ago. It will never happen again, I assure you. I only deal with paypal or people I can do business with face to face.

All you can hope for is that Karma will catch up with this cat. Remember there are good people out there, dont let this cruch your trust of the good in people.

B:P

Gently pushing comfort zones since 1976...

That username has no information on the profile, has never posted to a thread but has been around for a few years........

Last Login: Mar 11, 2009, 6:43 AM

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Anytime "Western Union" is used, suggested, inquired about.....whatever.....chances are it's a scam. With PayPal around, who uses Western Union anymore anyway? Why are they still in business?
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Yeah I know, I shouldn't have done it that way, I just don't have a credit card and I though that would be the easiest way, we went back and forth via emails for quite some time. He took down the ad as soon as I agreed to buy it though. I should have been more cautious but I have bought quite a few things from here and I guess I just put by guard down! I sent the money to Italy so it should have screamed out scam! Here is one of the emails from him.

"Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:40:22 -0700
Subject: RE: Dropzone.com Classifieds - Response to your Ad

Please forgive me if I frightened you, that wasn`t my intention. I took the ad down because I already had at that moment 14 clients for only one rig and they kept comming. Here are the details again:

This rig is definately a smooth opener and a comfortable ride down. This rig would be a PERFECT first rig or a great second rig. Now for some specifications. The rig has the three ring system and is RSL Equipped. The rig is BOC. The AAD had 8 yr maintnance and battery change in July of 2008. One more cool thing is it is equipped with the B-12 leg straps so no more stepping through!! The only thing you need to do is repack and jump.

Manufacturer Type Size/Model Jumps DOM
United Parachute Technologies Vector II 300 jumps 4/1993
Performance Designs PD 9-cell 190 ft² 300 jumps 8/1993
Performance Designs Swift Plus 175 ft² 0 jumps 5/1993
Airtec GmbH Cypres Expert 0 jumps 7/1999

Now if you feel more confortable this way I can send the rig to you or to your rigger but I want to receive at least half of the money first just to be sure that I won`t lose my time here. I sent another rig earlier this year to a rigger so that a client could have it inspected and after the rig arrived at his DZ he never emailed me back. I had to wait 2 weeks to get the rig back and I paid both shipping taxes. So I hope you can understand this. If you agree to send $500 first then I will send the rig to your rigger and after he confirms that the rig is in good shape you will send the remaining $500.This is a frequently used method on the deals made through the Internet so I hope you will agree.

Keep in touch
Jeremy"

Attached is a pic he sent me.

Tried to buy a rig on her from a dude named JeremyZien and talked to him for a few weeks about it. Finally decided to send $500 through western union for him to send me the rig, upon arrival I would send the remaining money. I sent the cash over a week ago and the guy is no longer responding to my Emails, I know there is a scam page but I am unsure who to tell about this. SUCKS!! [:/]

The WU thing does not sound good.
But you can call FedEx and UPS to see if there is a shipment to you from the sender.
You know your addy and have at least some idea of the senders addy. Hint it should be near the WU office you sent your money too.
Even without a tracking number you can get some info. Shipments from Italy to the US take about 6-7 days or longer if it gets hung up in customs.

Maybe the guy is just out of town or his computer broke.
Next time also get the part serial #s and check the stolen gear list before buying.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Outside of the mention of "the three ring system", it looks legit to me. While I'd be wary of anything through Western Union, I think there's still a pretty good chance this guy hasn't intentionally ripped you off.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

the "three ring system" thing really jumped out at me. who the hell mentions that? overall he sounded more like a whuffo that did his homework than a skydiver describing his gear. it doesn't pass the smell test with me, but i really hope i'm wrong.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Maybe the guy is just out of town or his computer broke.
Next time also get the part serial #s and check the stolen gear list before buying.

Not sure there will be a next time, I will definately go through someone I know from now on! I will try and give fed ex a call. He gave me his whole address so I should be able to find out if there is anything on the way. Thanks for all the advice!

To me, the rig looks like a Vector, not a Vector II. The BOC is a conversion and not standard as most Vectors were rear legstrap deployment as you can see from the yellow binding tape on the right legstrap. Also, United Parachute Technologies did not exist at this time (4/1993). In 2005 United Parachute Technologies bought the assets of Relative Workshop. "Relative Workshop" would be on the data panel not "United Parachute Technologies".

MakeItHappen is spot on, "Next time also get the part serial #s and check the stolen gear list before buying."
A faked serial number/DOM is easy to ID.
Good luck,
Take care,
space