jasonRose

Bone head helmet doing a solo....

My motorcycle instructors taught us that a fall from 4 feet to hard ground = throw the helmet away... Hairline cracks could cause the helmet to not work as designed, or worse...

That's basically true for "real" helmets. Skydiving helmets aren't really any good for any sort of true protection. They keep your hair from going crazy in the wind, keeps your dytter in place and protects your head from bumps on the AC, from getting kicked in freefall and from scraps when PLFing a landing. Beyond that, skydiving helmets are basically worthless...actually, show me a skydiving helmet that holds a true safety rating. Not that little rating for skateboard helmets that Pro-Tecs have, but true full blown safety ratings that are useful for the speeds we're doing. ;)

I've had an old Mindwarp for nearly 5 years, its been good to me. Its been droped, scraped, kicked, thrown (as a joke, but still) and flat out bounced HARD on concret. I still use it for just about every jump (that I'm not wearing a camera) and it does exactly what I need it to do. Just a couple of months ago it took a HARD hit for me in freefall doing a speed star. Someone decided to fly the black-hole of a burble I have and our helmets met. I saw stars and it took about 1000' to clear my head, but my helmet was fine (it was a very hard hit).

My longwinded point is, although that's a good rule of thumb for motorcycle helmets, for skydiving helmets its pretty pointless. If its cracked, get rid of it, if its not, go on with life. Our helmets don't serve the same life saving purpose.

You are preaching to the choir... My post was to a person who said that it was alright to drop a motorcycle helmet.:$

With that said..... Why do skydiving helmets cost so much money?????

Dunno, but this site makes fun of the price we pay for helmets :ph34r:

http://www.peapit.com/numbskull.html

Bicycling - $35.00
Mountain climbing - $75.00
Bowling - $20.00
Skydiving - $450.00

What kind of helmet do you wear for Bowling?:S

The cost for a skydiving helmet is so high because skydivers will pay it. That and it is a rather small market.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Why do skydiving helmets cost so much money?????

Two reasons.

1. Its a small market.
2. Skydivers will pay that much.

If skydiving helmet company had other markets and was able to sell hundreds of thousands of dollars more helmets each year, then it would probably be cheaper for us. However, since they don't and the helmets made by many of the companies wouldn't even come close to earning a safety rating, you're most likely not going to see any wide spread certified helmet sells. So our cost will remain high.

Atleast most of our helmets look cool.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not a scratch on the helmet or the ditter

last weekend my bonehead was poped out during deployment. Propably a riser opend the chinstrap. I bought bonehead chinstrap to prepare the stuff for camera. Needless to say, I have removed the chinstrap and am angry at bonehead. The chinstrap closure sucks.

BTW. My helmet is just a little broken, still useble. The protrack has broken display, but bips and transfers data as usual.

Going to order rawa...

PS. the jump was actually recorded, took 90s and the opening altitude was 150ft (why not 3000ft?)

https://www.facebook.com/1skydive/

I bought bonehead chinstrap to prepare the stuff for camera. Needless to say, I have removed the chinstrap and am angry at bonehead. The chinstrap closure sucks.

Are you refering to the chin cup, or that cheap seatbelt looking clip that comes with stock helmet?

Sorry for your misfortune, did you have a camera attached? F=ma...;) Only thing I can say bad about my gunner helmet is that the stock chin strap sucks but besides that I think the helmet kicks ass.. GO Bonehead!!!
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Here's a picture I took earlier in the season. I love it because it shows how badly I sucked backflying at the time, and how I even had issues tieing my shoes... plus I got the shot of the helmet.

The helmet was a Z1, it it came off of one of the RW guys without any encouragement.

It too was found in a field with no damage.

_Am

Oh, come on - you TOTALLY photoshopped a head-down out of the picture. Jeez.

Just kidding - Really funny photo!! :)

I wish it would of recorded the FF speed that would of been cool to see.

Just so happens. . . :D An older style mindward pimpdaddy falls at approx 88 mph SAS.B| At least mine did after departing my head in a sit. Found it in a field, no damage and my protrack laying on the ground next to it.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

LOL... Your helmet lived too.B|

I ended up loosing my head wrap yesterday in FF I'm sure it floated like a feather.

LOL, that was the worst part, i was borrowing it from one of the local vidiots cause i didn't have enough money to buy my own yet.:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.