LongWayToFall

Skyhook RSL Question

Hello, i was reading through posts and looking on the RWS website about the skyhook and it's advantages. It seems the system is an advantage because it allows the reserve parachute to be deployed very quickly, however i had a question regarding the quick release of the RSL. If the jumper wanted to disconnect the RSL and go back into freefall before deploying his reserve, he would be required to pull the yellow tab that is attatched to the snap connector, then pull his cutaway handle. It seems to me that this 2 step process could be simplified with 2 cutaway handles, one that activated the cutaway while leaving the RSL connected, and another that disconnected the RSL at the same time cutting away. This would eliminate having to find the yellow tab under a panic situation (CRW wrap etc) and allow you to perform the desired cutaway as rapidly as possible. I'm not sure what exactly would be involved with making this setup work, but i thought i would throw it out there. Hopefully somebody can tell me why it hasnt been done already?
Thanks!
Micah

Complicating emergency proceudres is never a good idea. Making the system more complicated is usually not a good idea. It is highly recommended to disconnect any RSL before enganging in CReW, eliminating the extra step of disconnecting the RSL prior to a cutaway.

RSL's have advantages and disadvantages. The Skyhook eliminates most of the disadvantages.

Derek

The system wouldn't be all that much more complicated, think of having the handle that cuts the RSL on top of the cutaway only, and just slides up and down on the cutaway lines. the top of the handle would have a line attatched to the snap connector, and on activation would disconnect the snap and continue down the lines and hit the lower handle, pulling it. There are also situations that require immediate disconect of the RSL, that you couldnt know about beforehand. For instance, what about a baglock? If it pulls you up into a standing position, you would have a good chance of going onto your back when you disconnected. with an RSL, that could be bad news. I realise having 2 handles is more complicated in the fact that you have to choose which one, but isnt one action cutaway more advantagous?

Jumpers are going in left and right with the current system. Any additional parts opens the door for further jumper confusion/mistakes, and equipment related problems such as failures or mis-rigging.

Learn to configure your equipment for the jump you will be doing. Avoid situations that will put you outside of your equipments limiltaiotns.

There are also situations that require immediate disconect of the RSL, that you couldnt know about beforehand. For instance, what about a baglock? If it pulls you up into a standing position, you would have a good chance of going onto your back when you disconnected. with an RSL, that could be bad news. I realise having 2 handles is more complicated in the fact that you have to choose which one, but isnt one action cutaway more advantagous?

If the there is enough drag from the baglock to stand you up, there is probably enough for the RSL/Skyhook to deploy the reserve. In the case of the skyhook, I belive the reserve would be at line stretch before you even had a chance to end up on your back.

;)

If the there is enough drag from the baglock to stand you up, there is probably enough for the RSL/Skyhook to deploy the reserve. In the case of the skyhook, I believe the reserve would be at line stretch before you even had a chance to end up on your back.

;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Been there! Done that!
The primary advantage of old-style RSLs is that they launch the reserve pilot chute before you have a chance to get unstable.
Skyhook improves on RSLs by lifting the reserve d-bag off your back before you have a chance to entangle with it.

On my spinning malfunction, I reached for the one and only handle on the right side, ... I would hate to have two handles there personally. My rigs got enough handles to pull ;)

Edited to correct to say right side vs. left :P

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I see how having 2 handles would complicate things, but i was just wondering if there was an alternative to what i always hear in my safety videos "disconnect any RSL and cutaway", it just seems like locating a little yellow tab would take allot of time, if not being impossible in some situations. Thanks for the responces!

Micah

i was just wondering if there was an alternative to what i always hear in my safety videos "disconnect any RSL and cutaway"

Don't jump an RSL.:ph34r:

it just seems like locating a little yellow tab would take allot of time, if not being impossible in some situations.

Yes, it is, and that is one of the downsides to RSL's.

Derek