Boeris

Charleston, SC anyone?

I was offered a position with the company I work for in Charleston, South Carolina. Anyone live there? What's it like?
I've been an Oregonian most my life and love the NW! The warm weather sounds nice but I might be missing the mountains and evergreens. Looks like there's lots of water sports though...might have to take up kite boarding! :-)
I have to decide quickly and prolly be there within 3 weeks. If I go, I'm sure they will put me up in a hotel or something until I find a place...So, if you live there and need a roomie or knows someone that does, give me a shout...
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

Never lived in Charleston, but down the road in Savannah...

Visited a few times, and definitely think its a great city; the same stories you get from most who visit.

Has its up and downs; a couple of friends live there now, and they really like it.

As for skydiving: Walterboro is about an hour from "downtown" and while its a smaller DZ with 2 182s, there is a great (GREAT) group of people there, and a GREAT vibe.

Sorry I can't offer anything more concrete.

I would take it...

Best Luck,
Dru
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

I've visited Charleston and have had a great time and want to go back, but have never lived there. I believe Taylor610 lives there if you want to pm him and ask questions, I'm sure he'd like to help you out.

I just checked the map, you're only 4 hours away from the Brevard, NC area, one of my favorite vacation destinations with plenty of mountain activities in it. I think you should give it a try and consider it an adventure. What do you have to lose?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

lived there for 17 years, still visit monthly with work
- one big difference will be the weather, hot and humid, and no snow
- mountains are 3-4 hours away
- beach and ocean is out your back door
- depending on the exact work location and how far you are willing to drive to work the housing can be very affordable
- Skydive Carolina is 3 hours away, turbine DZ, there are 6-10 jumpers from Charleston that go regularly
www.skydivecarolina.com

PM me if you have specific questions
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I went to College of Charleston and still go back to Charleston every chance I get to visit friends.

I've always told people that I would probably move back to Charleston if I could find a good job there. So if your job offer is good, then I'd say go for it.

Downtown is lots of fun and has a whole lot to do. Great places to eat and drink (my favorite is the Rooftop Bar on Vendue) The beach (Folly Beach or Sullivan's Island) are only about 15 - 20 mins away from downtown. Since you mentioned kiteboarding...I think that the kite boarding on Folly has really gotten strong in the past few years.

As far as places to live in Charleston, if you want to live downtown you are going to have to decide if you want to pay more to be in the nicer, already established neighborhoods, or pay a little less to be in one that isn't quite there yet. I would stay away from anywhere north of the cross-town connector. The other options the I would recommend would be Mt. Pleasant (right across from downtown, over the Cooper River). Mt P is very nice and you can get more for your $ than downtown. West Ashley is another option. It is less than downtown and Mt. P for the most part.

If you have any questions, let me know, I'm glad to help. As others have said, you will have to travel a little to jump.

Hot, humid, and buggy. In the summer, you'll be sweating before you've dried off from your shower with the AC on. Learn to drink Mint Juleps. Very old southern town, so expect to go through a little bit of southern culture shock. Really cool little town though. Lots of history and tourists. Close to nice beaches.

Thanks everyone! I think I will be accepting the offer today....I think.
Just need to nail down some of the specifics, like how much for moving assistance, salary, etc... They low balled me a bit and said the cost of living is less there. From the limited research I've done, it looks pretty close to Portland. So, hopefully they come up a bit. If not, I will most likely still take it...The opportunity for growth is huge! That, and I think it fits me a little better. I will be leaving a Strucutral Design position (of 8 years) and starting a Site Safety Coordinator position for a large (94 acre) job site where modular steel structures are designed and fabricated.

Is it really that hot? I lived in Phoenix for 2 years, and that was fookin HOT! Most places have AC I assume. So how's the traffic?
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

If you survived AZ, then you will be fine. It is a different kind of hot though, not dry hot, humid hot. Most everywhere has AC though, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. It would be very rare if a place didn't have AC. But you will have some very hot ass days in the summer...esp with the heat index. But beers are much better and colder on these days...so they are worth it.

Traffic wasn't too bad when I was there. I've certainly seen much much worse. They improved many of the highways around the city when they built the new bridge a few years ago, so I think that it wouldn't be too bad.

Is it really that hot?

It's not the heat, it's the humidity. ;)

And the mosquitoes could probably give you a lift to altitude. ;)

Theres a skeeter on his peter flick it off,
There’s a skeeter on his peter flick it off, flick it off,
There’s a dozen on his cousin,
You can hear them suckers buzzing,
There’s a skeeter on his peter flick it off!

where you will be working there is no traffic unless you commute through the Naval Weapons Station but you will have to watch out for all the deer - they keep the auto repair shops in business

oh yea I forgot to mention the gators, watch it when you are near the river - they like to swim up the drainage canals too

this location is really outside of Goose Creek, I know that doesn't sound as nice as Charleston but it is better than Moncks Corner - the next closest town :D

Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I ride motorcycle so all this deer and gator talk is making me a little nervous haha...
www.theflystyle.com

I ride motorcycle so all this deer and gator talk is making me a little nervous haha...

Not to worry..... just think of snappers as big speed bumps

yes, speed bumps and pylons, easier on a bike than with a car

I appreciate all the help guys!
I'm getting a bit frustrated with my situation though. I am having trouble getting them to agree to help me with moving expenses. The facility manager wants to hire local, but the guy that's in charge of hiring, wants me. Hopefully it all works out, because I have been preparing my mind for this move, started packing and just trying to line things up so I am somewhat organized. The pay is a little less, supposedly the cost of living there is less, and the opportunity would be HUGE. So there's a lot of things for me to consider. I planned on moving all my shit which would mean a U-Haul and trailer for my awd vehicle, couple nights in a hotel, gas, food, and maybe a week in a hotel till I find a place to live there. If I can't get any help for these expenses, I might tell them to bugger off.
www.theflystyle.com