RALFFERS

If you use skype or any other service that you need a computer turned on and MS Windows, you may as well go ahead and get a Magic Jack. You can pay $99 for 5 years of service and in most US areas get a local number.

Plug the MJ into your USB port, a telephone into your MJ, then make a call.

All you really need for good voip is about 80k upstream / 80k downstream.
I've even used voip over a cell providers card in my laptop.

I have skype, I use it a lot when Im at home, I use it instead of my cell phone to make calls I think I pay 8 dollars for three months and have unlimited calling to phones in the US most people I call have no problem hearing me nor I them. The only time Ive ever had a probelm is when Ive called 800 numbers for tech support or other things skype hasnt worked well but other than that I love it. I cut my cell phone bill greatly.

I've used the video conference feature a couple of times its works well too

It has end to end 256 bit encryption making it nearly impossible to listen on, the only people who can crack it are the NSA and they have better things to do. The italian mob and various criminal organizations use it for secure communications.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

My brother uses it to keep in touch with and see his grandson often on webcam through his computer. He lives on the big island of Hawaii but his stepdaughter and grandson live on Kaui, at the other end of the island chain. He even bought me a new Logitech Pro 9000 webcam, which I've been told is one of the best out there. I have been putting off installing it because the sound system is shot on this computer. He wants to see my daughter every now and then and be able to talk with her. We don't even have a regular phone. We have two video phones that work independently of the computer.

I guess I could go ahead and try it anyway, but there just won't be any sound capabilities.

I finally got with the times and got it successfully set up, sound and all. B|

Billy.and.Flo.Vance

video calls with text only. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban