skymama

They sure were multi-taskers back in the day

Catalog the pictures. I would not want to write on the back of 100 year old pictures. Put them in an album with a description next to them.

I was concerned about ink going through to the front of the pictures too, even using an archival pen. We're definitely going to have her tell us everything she can about the photos, it'll also give her something useful to do while we're working at the house all day. I showed her a wedding picture from the 1930's and she was able to rattle off everyone in the wedding party and where they traveled from. She is still quite sharp, she follows politics, watches her stocks like a hawk and was still driving until we made her turn in her car last weekend!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

They were also funeral directors and an ambulance service! :ph34r:

I grew up with stories of the funiture store in one area town serving as the funeral parlor. They laid out the folks in the front room. It was one place in town that had a big enough room before you got to the church. And lots of chairs for people to sit on.:P This was before separate funeral "homes". Then the funeral 'homes' when I was growing up were really homes. Big houses with small rooms converted to funeral homes. Undertaker usually lived upstairs and work was done in the basement. I went to some junior high or high school parties at on funeral home.

And caskets were furniture anyway. Probably came from some of the same suppliers. At that time ambulance service was shovel them up and transport them to the hospital. All it took was a vehicle big enough. That was usually the dual purpose hearse/ambulance.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Catalog the pictures. I would not want to write on the back of 100 year old pictures. Put them in an album with a description next to them.

The problem with that is that albums degrade with age and photos start falling out and getting separated from their descriptions. I use ball point pen around the margin on back. It doesn't bleed through or smear, and if you write lightly, it doesn't make indentations that go through the other side.

Lately, I've been scanning all the old family photos and putting them on CD in digital form.

My grandfather's funeral was a few weeks ago, and my mom does geneology and puts together crop-books. She had a really nice one for my granfather, starting with a geneology tree on the front, followed by pictures of his grandparents, picutres of his parents, and pictures of him, from birth to the nursing home.

Your post reminded me of that because my mom pasted a few reciepts into his book that looked like this one. One was for a new Model-T car (something like $1,000), and one was a ledger of his father's showing money that my grandfather sent home to his father from WW2.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD