SkyAnt

Hangliding Vs Skydiving

15 years ago I did some paragliding and even did a Tandem Hangliding flight and found it 'kinda cool' but a little boring. About 5 years ago I started jumping and even using equiptment from a similar era I found it way more fun. Even the canopy stuff. Now due to an injury at work I'm having to take a year off jumping but physically I should be able to get into hangliding without any restrictions. And I'm getting used to the idea now. I know there are a few jumpers out there who have gone over to the dark side. How did it go? Did you come back? Do you like it both ways?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Do you like it both ways?

Not without dinner & a movie! ;)

I did some hang gliding in San Diego 15 years ago...It was fun.

I also had a powered parachute a couple years ago...It was fun.

In both cases, all it did was remind me how much more I like flying my body than a kite.

But if it gets you up in the clear blue...go for it! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Long ago my roommate bought a hang glider on a whim, and we took a buddy up to some big sand dunes along Lake Michigan to give it a try. Things we learned:

- You start out with short flights that end in catching the nose of the glider in the sand, quickly followed my plowing sand with your face.

- As you get better, you learn to make longer flights, and dig longer furrows in the sand with your face.

- As you develop more skills, you learn to gain more altitude, pick up more speed, and then catch a wing tip, cart-wheeling the glider, then digging into the sand with your face.

We were hoping to get good enough to fly all the way across the sand into the parked cars, but none of us made it that far.[:/]

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I don't have any HG experience but have P.Gd for over 17 years now and also skydive. I love them bothe, for different reasons, they are completely different sports ... and niether could ever be described as boring (if one is doing them for real, not just playing).

You don't say what your injury is (excuse me for being rude/forward) but are you sure that if you can't skydive, you will be able to HG/PG - the stresses on the body 'can' be similar and you will be 'seated' in the same position for extended periods.

Finaly .... My insurance company doesn't thing that PG is boring :P In fact, a fair few of them will not touch P.G but are O.K with skydiving... I guess that they have looked into the stats.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

got my third canopy last week! :P;):)

Perhaps someone should introduce you to the wonderful world of gear maintenance.:|
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

got my third canopy last week! :P;):)

Perhaps someone should introduce you to the wonderful world of gear maintenance.:|

oh sheesh, i've just exchanged my tube-stows, thats enough maintenance for this year.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

tony, you know, my second name IS safety! :):P:D

Virgin Safety Burner ? :D:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D

hey, u be around for the hellaherb, or do i need to come down for the film festival this weekend to finally kick you in the ass? :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Hi Sky,
"What ever ya' gotta' do ta' get yer nose in the Blue!!"
Skydive, Hang/paraglide, fly ultra lights, fly model airplanes, hangout at the airport bar, drink beer and tell lies!!

It's all good.

Pocketa, pocketa, pocketa!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out