freeflyit

Need Help

Hi all,

I need your help. I am going to see my grandfather who is 73 years old and whom I haven't seen in years. I love this man and I want to get him a nice gift.

But what do you give an old man? It can't be anything like a watch or clothing or some crap like that...it has to be for the heart, because in my understanding, once you reach that age you don't care about things like that.

I thought about a nice pipe with good tobacco or a nice bottle of liquor, you know, something that he will actually use and enjoy. But for health reasons, I'm not sure about this.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm stuck, please share if you know of something.

What about doing an activity together? Is there something you remember doing with him as a child that you can still go do with him?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If he smokes a pipe, it is usually not a big health issue. Most pipe smokers do not inhale.

Meershaum pipes are highly valued by pipe enthusiasts. They come in many beautiful designs. You can find them on ebay or at a local tobaconist.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Write him a letter. By hand. Recount your fondest memories of times spent with him and express how much they mean to you. My 82 year old grandmother LOVES to reminisce. Maybe make a scrap book that includes old storied photos.

Go through it together. If you do you may just add more to his favorite memories. :)
p.s. I see your from Canada. Maybe include a one-way ticket to Tampa :P

aloha.

I spent the last 12 years as the primary contact for my father.

A really nice dinner out with you would be nice. Take your time. Listening to you share your life with him, particularly the parts that he can identify with, is good. Feeling useful is good (i.e. ask for advice). If a pretty woman comes on to him, that's even better :ph34r:. Seeing your grandchildren grow up into productive happy adults is a joy for many grandparents, so show him.

As far as stuff is concerned, it would have to depend on what he likes. But he probably has more stuff than time by now, so give him the gift of time.

And remember that 73 isn't necessarily that old.

Wendy P.

Edited to add: Yeah, the letter is good, too.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Haha...yea maybe. He's actually in Russia but thanks anyways.

And thanks to all that repied, it helped :)
I think time at that point is surely the best thing and a nice bottle to get ya royally ripsmashed will enhance that experience...if only I drank:P