k-dubjumps

My dog almost died today...

because he injured himself on a faulty board on my deck that I have been asking the landlord to repair since April. My landlord isn't even offering to pay the vet bill,>:( only to now repair the deck. [:/]

So what happened to my 84 pound chicken of a chocolate lab? He had a small abrasion on his back where he fell through a broken board in the deck. He then started scratching at it turning it into a hot spot which became infected. While we were at the vet his already elevated temp of 104 jumped to 106. We had to take him in the back and hose him down with cold water and then I had to hold ice packs on his chest and belly to cool him down. He's going to be fine:)[:/]:S

And to top it off, the dump of a house I'm renting is in the beginning stages of foreclosure. I actually don't want to stay and would prefer to move before the end of my lease, but my landlord won't let me out of my lease "because he needs the rent to pay his bills." >:( He obviously isn't using my rent money to pay the mortgage.

I heard that foreclosure nullifies a lease and I may be able to get out of it. Anyone know if this is a true statement?
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

Glad to hear that your dog is going to be ok. I would think that the landlord has at least *some* liability for the vet bills. As for foreclosure rendering a lease void, I don't know but I do have someone I can ask (a family member that has several rental properties, and is pretty familiar with the real estate laws).
Thomas Crowe, NRP
Nationally Registered Paramedic
Red Hat Linux Geek

Sorry to hear about your dog. Wish I could help with the legal advice but I'm a bean counter, not a lawyer. I did go through something similar with a townhome lease a few mos. ago. My landlord was being foreclosed on, and wouldn't tell me anything. I found out from the homeowners association that she wasn't paying her dues. They said they were going to foreclose if the dues weren't paid and that I should pay my rent to them. I did for a couple of months, then I found out the bank was about to sell the place at auction. The date passed and I still didn't hear anything. Every single day I wondered if I would come home and be locked out, with all of my stuff in the trash. It only took a couple of weeks of this and I moved back to my rental house a few miles away. Unfortunately the foreclosure laws are not designed to protect the renter. All you have is your lease contract. I suggest you read it, maybe contact an attorney if it is not clear, and make plans to move SOON. Best of luck!

Steve
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

Just one more thing, if your landlord is so broke that they are struggling to pay bills, they probably aren't going to pay an attorney to sue you for breaking the lease, I would get out, just my opinion.
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

If the foreclosure goes through and the owner faces eviction by the bank then a sheriff, a rep from the bank, and a locksmith will come to the house and evict YOU. Your rental agreement means nothing in a foreclosure situation. It sounds like your rent is going into a black hole. Your choices are to either leave or request that the LL shows proof that he's paying the mortgage.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I actually read up on the new law passed by Obama, and know that I have to be given a 90-day notice when the time comes, but I DON'T want to stay (for many reasons). My landlord, however, does want me to stay because he wants my money. I've been proactive about finding a new place, but the landlord expects me to stay until either my lease is up or the foreclosure is finalized, whichever comes first. I just want out. [:/]

I've been thinking about getting a place lined for September and just telling him to keep my deposit as my last months rent.

Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

In my "civillian" life I have rental property (Cali) Take the guy to small claims for the vet bills. There is a brand new law in effect designed to protect people renting in foreclosed property. You might want to "Google" and get a hard copy. Good luck. Labs are the best:)

In my "civillian" life I have rental property (Cali) Take the guy to small claims for the vet bills. There is a brand new law in effect designed to protect people renting in foreclosed property. You might want to "Google" and get a hard copy. Good luck. Labs are the best:)

Sorry to hear about your dog. I know that can be very stressing.

If the landlord is in foreclosure, he is likely too busy to pursue you for rent.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I actually read up on the new law passed by Obama, and know that I have to be given a 90-day notice when the time comes, but I DON'T want to stay (for many reasons). My landlord, however, does want me to stay because he wants my money. I've been proactive about finding a new place, but the landlord expects me to stay until either my lease is up or the foreclosure is finalized, whichever comes first. I just want out. [:/]

I've been thinking about getting a place lined for September and just telling him to keep my deposit as my last months rent.

Landlord-tenant law is state, not federal; while mortgage foreclosure law is a bit of both. In the factual scenario you describe, one's legal rights and responsibilities will vary depending on what state one is in. Your profile seems to indicate that you're in California. I don't know California law on this issue without taking the time to look it up carefully.

1. You need to speak with a lawyer in your state immediately, before doing, or refraining from doing, anything else. This is Saturday morning. If you haven't had a detailed consultation with a lawyer by, say, Wednesday the latest, you need a slap on the wrist.

2. Do not listen to examples of how the law might be in any state other than your own. It might not apply to you.

3. Do not, under any circumstances, take legal advice (or advice on what to do or not do) from anyone other than a lawyer. I cannot stress this enough.