Nightingale

LED Lightbulbs

Anyone have any info on LED lightbulbs?

I get migraines, and they're sometimes triggered by fluorescent lights. Since I switched jobs, I've noticed I'm getting headaches in the afternoons, and since, after examining my headache diary, there aren't any other trigger factors that make any sense, I think it's that I don't have a window to add natural light. My office has the old style ceiling long tube fluorescents.

So, I was thinking of adding a desk lamp with an LED bulb on the shelf above my desk to try to cut down on the effects of the fluorescent light flicker.

So, what I need to know is:

1. Do LEDs flicker like fluorescent lights, or are they more of a constant light, like incandescent bulbs?

2. Where is a good place to buy an LED bulb that can fit into a standard light bulb socket?

3. Do they make LED bulbs that are frosted, so you're not staring right into an overly bright lightbulb?

LEDs don't flicker but are not common products and hard to find something that will work

fluorescent fixtures with electronic ballasts don't flicker, at least not anything close to what you can see > 20,000 times / sec

fixtures with magnetic ballasts sometimes can flicker at a rate that you can see < 60 times / sec

quite often it may just have "old" lamps

would be much easier to just have the maintenance folks install an electronic ballast

what kind of computer monitor do you have? if it is the old CRT type that may be the problem, get a LCD

or if you do a lot of computer work it can just be your eyes getting tired, especially if the screen has glare from other light sources

I've seen the headache problem solved by various means: reading glasses, chair adjustment, monitor change, glare elimination and eye check-up
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

It could definitely be something related to computer/eyesight, but if you're certain it's the lights then do something about it. I had the same problem at my old job and had to resort to wearing my sunglasses while I was working in the office sometimes (seriously). Those lights were heinous and I learned that you never "get used to" them.

Check out http://www.theledlight.com/ (or google "LED lights"). LEDs are softer than florescents and should help. If it's at all possible to move your desk/cubicle/whatever to a natural light source then try to make that happen (I recommend really explaining migraine symptoms to your boss/whoever can move you as they may think it's just a headache). Even with florescent bulbs in place the natural light will act as sort of a buffer and relieve some of your suffering.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

I have one of the new flat-screen monitors, and my glasses are up to date.

I'm not getting tension headaches, like people get from tired eyes. I'm getting migraines (pain on one side of the head, nausea, light sensitivity, cured with meds like imitrex, etc) that can be triggered by flashing or flickering lights, sometimes whether the flicker is a visible one or not. Unfortunately, I work for the government, and getting them to replace the ballasts in the ceiling light fixtures around my desk would be so much bureaucratic red tape and triplicate forms that it'll be months before it ever happens, and that's only IF there's an approved vendor for the ballasts and the work, and money to do it and there isn't any. So, I'm hoping to find an easier solution and just drown out the flicker with something that doesn't flicker at all.

Make sure your monitor has a refresh rate other than 60hz

I hope you get some relief.

im curious, why is that?

some people can "see" or their brain can "see" the flicker at 60Hz

if you have ever been in a room that has a ceiling fan hung below a light fixture then you have seen somehting similar to what they see, the constant flicker is very irritating
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Anyone have any info on LED lightbulbs?

I get migraines, and they're sometimes triggered by fluorescent lights. Since I switched jobs, I've noticed I'm getting headaches in the afternoons, and since, after examining my headache diary, there aren't any other trigger factors that make any sense, I think it's that I don't have a window to add natural light. My office has the old style ceiling long tube fluorescents.

So, I was thinking of adding a desk lamp with an LED bulb on the shelf above my desk to try to cut down on the effects of the fluorescent light flicker.

So, what I need to know is:

1. Do LEDs flicker like fluorescent lights, or are they more of a constant light, like incandescent bulbs?

2. Where is a good place to buy an LED bulb that can fit into a standard light bulb socket?

3. Do they make LED bulbs that are frosted, so you're not staring right into an overly bright lightbulb?

1) They have a frequency - but don't visibly flicker unless there is a modulator on them.
2) On line
3) http://www.topdeq.com/topdeq/searchPage.do?fastSearch=LED%20Desk%20lamps&submit
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

In addition, consider the possibility of reaction/sensitivity to inhalables and other micro-environmental factors - e.g., fibers and/or vapor from carpet or carpet padding, gas-off from adhesives or plastics, contamination either from an outside source leaching in, or chemicals spilled or stored on premises (including petrochemical or other solvent spills that were not completely cleaned up; the dry residue still can produce gas-off), etc. I'm sure you've heard of "Sick Building Syndrome"; a building that may be fine for me might be sick for you.

(P.S.- as a lawyer, you understand the basics of employment law and the importance of making a thorough and timely record. Be as diligent for yourself as you would be for a client. 'Nuff said.)

im curious, why is that?

if you have ever been in a room that has a ceiling fan hung below a light fixture then you have seen somehting similar to what they see, the constant flicker is very irritating

My only options for this monitor are 60hz or 59hz. Should I change it to 59?

im curious, why is that?

My only options for this monitor are 60hz or 59hz. Should I change it to 59?

Try it - if it seems worse then change it back. Did you not like the desk lamps I suggested?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I'm in the middle of a clinical trial, so I've got a really detailed headache record. But, if it is the environment, I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it.

With ADA in mind, is there any "reasonable accommodation" (as a term of art) your employer can do for you in terms of another office with better ventilation, or natural sunlight, or a different computer, etc.? (I realize you'd probably prefer to keep things harmonious with your employer if possible.) Just brainstorming.....

Well, we all share one office, and nobody's got sunlight, and that's even assuming I could pin down the exact trigger, if it's environmental. If it's something coming off the carpet, moving offices wouldn't help. I'm going to try the desk lamp thing first.

That is a cool lamp, Turtle!

Well, we all share one office, and nobody's got sunlight, and that's even assuming I could pin down the exact trigger, if it's environmental. If it's something coming off the carpet, moving offices wouldn't help. I'm going to try the desk lamp thing first.

I want pictures of it next to you!:ph34r:

LOL. It's also $690. I think I'll buy a $60 LED lightbulb and put it in a regular lamp, cool as that lamp is. :P

LOL. It's also $690. I think I'll buy a $60 LED lightbulb and put it in a regular lamp, cool as that lamp is. :P

but it is SOOO you

Try the 6500 K CFB that simulates sunlight very well, not much flicker either.

59hz will help.

Submariners learned back in the 70's to stop using a refresh rate that matched the power system.

Can you imagine watching sonar for extended shifts and getting that ill from it?

My former Prof was the one who pointed it out.

After that she was no longer thought of as some dumb blond on the boat.

BTW she was a PhD.

Wrote all kinds of code for the Navy.