ManagingPrime

Should I quibble over a $1.2K +/- difference

May I remind you of an ancient Scottish business practice?
Throw out the highest bid and throw out the lowest bid, then look seriously at the bids in the middle.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
But it does explain why there are so few rich businessmen in Scotland.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It's been my experience that many students, including myself, have unrealistic expectations about the frequency of their jumps when they begin an AFF program.

Depending upon the size of the DZ, the staff to student ratio, how big the DZ is on tandem jumps, and the weather, many students are lucky to get one jump in per day during AFF. Tandem jumpers are big business for many DZ's, and student AFF jumpers are lower on the pecking order than tandems.

It's first come first serve for student jumpers, and the first ones in line early in the day have the best chance of jumping. I was almost always the first one in line, and a couple of times I was the only one to be able to jump that day.

I spent a few days sitting around the whole day and never being able to jump.

Not that I am complaining, since I now understand the practical realities. Also, once you are jumping solo after around jump 14, its much easier to get several jumps in a day.

Places like Skydive Spaceland in Houston offer a license in a week, assuming good weather days.

But for those who lack the free time or patience to sit around for several weekends at a DZ until they get all their AFF jumps, the accelerated programs are pretty attractive.

God this is an awesome sport! :D

+1

My instructor there, Dave, was really good. He took his time and made me keep practicing everything (which really helped). My first jump today went great. My landing was practically standing up. ( started to plf, but transitioned to standing up).

So, my only question is: who's going to the work stinks boogie?:)

True banker post... if your profession in your profile is correct. :D

Sounds like you made your choices already, but I thought it would be amusing to put this in accounting terms.

If you plan on being in the sport for a long time, instead of some one the loose interest and fizzles out in a year or two, you can think long term in accounting for the extra cost. Match the cost with the years you are going to beneifit from your training, which would be every year you spend in the sport. Whamo... matching principal, GAAP accounting for skydiving. :P

1200 dollars extra, or 1200 dollars less, is immaterial when you amortize the cost across your expected time in the sport. :D If you plan on hanging out for the long haul. If you hanging around for twenty years it is only 60 bucks a year extra or less. :D

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P