Andy9o8

Firefox Ad-Blocker starting to suck

Time was, adding Ad-Blocker to Firefox would actually block the banner ads (duh). Not necessarily any more. Now a banner ad appears, and you have to right-click on it and "ask" Ad-Blocker to block it. Sometimes, right-clicking on them won't even get you that option, just some tripe about Adobe flash player options.

WTF?? It's starting to be no different than using IE. So why bother?

Time was, adding Ad-Blocker to Firefox would actually block the banner ads (duh). Not necessarily any more. Now a banner ad appears, and you have to right-click on it and "ask" Ad-Blocker to block it. Sometimes, right-clicking on them won't even get you that option, just some tripe about Adobe flash player options.

WTF?? It's starting to be no different than using IE. So why bother?

I've been using CSS based ad blocking in Safari and other browsers that support CSS with a high rate of success. It doesn't stop everything, but it blocks most ads. I can PM you a copy of the CSS file I use if you want to try it. It doesn't need to be installed; just place it in a folder somewhere and tell Safari where it is.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

i use adblock for firefox and have no idea what you are talking about. ads are a think of the past havnt seen any banners since ive installed it months ago. maybe were using different adblockers? mine is called 'adblock plus' on the firefox addon page and its absolutely perfect.

No, I'm using adblock plus. What I'm describing is real, and I'm seeing it on more than 1 computer, all of which I use for DZ.com.

In fact, I did a Google search for "ad block plus not working" (and similar phrases), and it appears that a lot of people are complaining about this recently.

No, I'm using adblock plus. What I'm describing is real, and I'm seeing it on more than 1 computer, all of which I use for DZ.com.

I use IE (IE8, no less), but I fired up Firefox to see what you're talking about, and I got nothing. Then I had to edit my Hosts file and try again. Still nothing.

Until you get it sorted out, you might want to add the following three lines to your own Hosts file:

127.0.0.1 adtechus.com
127.0.0.1 adserver.adtechus.com
127.0.0.1 adtuition.com

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

So... do I understand this correctly? You're upset because there is an innocuous banner ad appearing at the top of the page and a couple down the side for a service that you use extensively and freely?

Or are you complaining about the Kokanee Beer banner ad that froze almost everybody's FireFox browser?

If it's the first item - sheesh. Only in America.

If it's the second item - yeah, that was a pain in the ass and Kokanee should fire their Agency.

I'm having the same problem. I never used to see ads here at all on dz.com with the ad blocker in firefox and now I see them all the time.

I installed it a few weeks back when FF was freezing up on me with the Kokanee ad. Haven't seen an ad since.

I'm on a Mac. Not sure if you are.

Maybe reinstall and see if that works.
'Shell

So... do I understand this correctly? You're upset because there is an innocuous banner ad appearing at the top of the page and a couple down the side for a service that you use extensively and freely?

Or are you complaining about the Kokanee Beer banner ad that froze almost everybody's FireFox browser?

If it's the second item - yeah, that was a pain in the ass and Kokanee should fire their Agency.

Thank you JS ... my problem only became a problem with that Kokanee ad .... and thanks to them, I have now blocked ALL ads .... and since I've done that, FF works for me.

I don't get a SINGLE banner ad .....
'Shell

you might want to add the following three lines to your own Hosts file:

127.0.0.1 adtechus.com
127.0.0.1 adserver.adtechus.com
127.0.0.1 adtuition.com

great idea...works well
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

No, it was just I never used to see ads on here, and now I do. Just wasn't sure why the difference.