skittles_of_SDC

Sell gear to go back to school?

I found a school I want to go to really badly. The students put out excellent work (I have a second choice where the work isn't such high quality but is still good).

The issue with the school I want to go to is that it is a trade school and doesn't qualify for federal student aid. The only loans I can get are private loans and since this particular loan is designed specifically for people enrolling in trade schools they really screw you over. There is no deferment period at all. You have to start repayment pretty much right after disbursement. The main reason that is bad is because the admissions counselor at the school said they don't recommend having a job because of how intensive the program is.

There is an interest only repayment plan where you pay only the interest while in school. I think with the little bit of college savings I have left combined with what I could get for my main and reserve I would be able to make payments on the interest until I get out (1 year later) and could get a job to pay that off before going back to the same school to do another more specialized program (which qualifies for federal loans).

Sell the rig, go to work now, and save the money to pay for the school before you enroll. That way instead of making loan payments after you graduate, you'll be able to skydive again.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Sell the rig, go to work now, and save the money to pay for the school before you enroll. That way instead of making loan payments after you graduate, you'll be able to skydive again.

Good plan. Another plan would be to go to work now, and then sell the gear just before going back to school.

But the fewer possessions and bills you have in school, the fewer you have when you leave.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Are you goiing to go into a field that will fetch you a good salary for the amount of money you'll be spending on school? Is it something you can see yourself content with doing for a long time? If so, I say go for it. Skydiving is definitely more fun when you have the money to pay for it, and earning more money will do that for you...just as long as you don't spend it just as quickly. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Join the USMC Reserves, get the GI Bill, Keep your rig, go to school, jump occassionally, graduate and repeat, Until your desired level of education is achieved. Keep in mind, US Army Special Forces have been in high demand since this war. You could also join Army Reserves and become a parachute rigger (QuarterMaster Corps). Just some ideas.

Do the mature, responsible thing and sell your gear and go to school.
You probably won't jump much. Then you'll meet a whuffo girl, and you'll jump even less. You'll embark on a good career, and you and she will get married. You'll be tied up with your career and marriage. Then you'll have your first child and buy a house at about the same time. Big mortgage payments. Second child. And it will occur to you (and surely your wife will say) that you probably shouldn't risk your life skydiving while the father of young children with a career and mortgage. You'll eventually get back into the sport when you're around 50. By that time, eating skittles (if they still exist) will only be done by old men who wear plaid pants up to the middle of their chest.

The issue with the school I want to go to is that it is a trade school and doesn't qualify for federal student aid.

I can't say that I've ever heard of any vocational school that was accredited by the state's board of private and vocational schools not being eligible for Federal Financial aid (stafford) unless the school itself doesn't accept Title IV funding (which usually means more students).

On that note, there's lots of folks in skydiving who had their schooling done and careers established before they began skydiving. Most know I took a nine year break from skydiving after the military/Desert Storm/undergrad and grad school. The sky was still there and so were some of the same old faces. Some had grown and some were still in the same place they were when I started skydiving in 1981 and are still in the same place to this day.

Get on with your life, learn, grow, excel, come back. You may even be able to ply your trade for the advancement of skydiving later. If memory serves, Bill Booth was an English(?) teacher and he's taught us a lot.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You probably won't jump much. Then you'll meet a whuffo girl, and you'll jump even less. You'll embark on a good career, and you and she will get married. You'll be tied up with your career and marriage. Then you'll have your first child and buy a house at about the same time. Big mortgage payments. Second child. And it will occur to you (and surely your wife will say) that you probably shouldn't risk your life skydiving while the father of young children with a career and mortgage. You'll eventually get back into the sport when you're around 50. By that time, eating skittles (if they still exist) will only be done by old men who wear plaid pants up to the middle of their chest.

Hater :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Or biographical? :o

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

:)

Every once in a while, someone on here says goodbye to the sport for a while as life intervenes. We generally reply with supportive good wishes, and the line, "The sky will always be there." And that's very true - it always will be. But sometimes it will also be 25 years away.

:)

Every once in a while, someone on here says goodbye to the sport for a while as life intervenes. We generally reply with supportive good wishes, and the line, "The sky will always be there." And that's very true - it always will be. But sometimes it will also be 25 years away.

So true.

But then again on the other hand, sometimes the sport gets it's hooks into you so deep that it becomes a priority to make it a continual part of your life, in one way or another.

I started jumping right out of high school and actually put myself through college in part, by instructing and doing demos.

I knew after my 2nd jump I was in this for the long haul and it wouldn't be a tourist type thing.

There were times I jumped some pretty shitty gear, drove rolling wrecks and missed a meal now and then...but looking back - I made it work and wouldn't change a thing. B|

I wouldn't presume to suggest the same path for anyone.

If Skittles is just making conversation and looking ideas that's cool, but the only person that truly knows what's best for him is the dopey looking guy in the mirror.

We're all capable of setting our own priorities and making suitable decisions...but it is possible to 'have it all' ...so to speak. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Have you tried all of your options for the private loans? I have Sallie Mae and I do not have to pay back until 6 months after I graduate. Yes the interest builds between then and you can pay that off every 3 months or so and it isnot a bad payment. It won't break you.

I also did the private loans through Sallie Mae years ago when I went to Beauty College and they were the same deal. Pay after you graduate. Check those out before you sell things. There is many ways to get private loans for school. :)

You create life, life does not create you.

My unofficial doomsday opinion:

Avoid private education loans like the plague.

Most are variable and tied to an index like the LIBOR or prime rate. Most have no cap on how high your interest can rise.

I am predicting that interest rates in the next 5 years are going skyhigh, we are going to want the 80's interest rates back. The interest rate on your private loan that you took out is going right up there with it.

And while you are paying mortgage like payments on your variable interest student loans, the student loan interest deduction is going to be a small consolation, since it caps out at 2500 in interest a year.

If you can finance school any other way, exhaust all of those options first!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Thanks for the opinions guys. I actually considered the working first then going to school thing but I'm having trouble finding a decent job. I'm waiting to hear back from the TSA which would pretty much pay enough to cover the 1 year.

I plan to go to a visual effects school. I figure the pay PROBABLY wouldn't be much more than a graphic designer. My guess is high 20's to mid 30's, I could be wrong though.

As far as military options those are out the window. I was rejected from active duty Army based on my medical prescreen.

The issue with the school I want to go to is that it is a trade school and doesn't qualify for federal student aid.

I can't say that I've ever heard of any vocational school that was accredited by the state's board of private and vocational schools not being eligible for Federal Financial aid (stafford) unless the school itself doesn't accept Title IV funding (which usually means more students).

On that note, there's lots of folks in skydiving who had their schooling done and careers established before they began skydiving. Most know I took a nine year break from skydiving after the military/Desert Storm/undergrad and grad school. The sky was still there and so were some of the same old faces. Some had grown and some were still in the same place they were when I started skydiving in 1981 and are still in the same place to this day.

Get on with your life, learn, grow, excel, come back. You may even be able to ply your trade for the advancement of skydiving later. If memory serves, Bill Booth was an English(?) teacher and he's taught us a lot.

I don't know what the deal is but for some reason this one year program isn't eligible for loans but the 2 year program at the same school that I would be going to after the one year program is eligible.

The problem is that I have been doing research for the last few days and I can't find any other way to finance school. :(

How much do you have to borrow to pay for this schooling?

It would be prudent to forecast your expected earnings, and how much you expect to pay for this education.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The problem is that I have been doing research for the last few days and I can't find any other way to finance school. :(

How much do you have to borrow to pay for this schooling?

It would be prudent to forecast your expected earnings, and how much you expect to pay for this education.

I'm projecting somewhere around $22k to $24k. The program is only $12k but apartments in Hollywood are outrageous.