BillyVance

College Football's AP poll

Damn.... 3 SEC teams in the top 4, and 4 in the top 7. Too bad they all won't be staying up there that high. Going to be a lot of big games ahead. :) However I will say this, Arkansas isn't ranked, but their passing offense is scary good already. QB Ryan Mallett, all 6'-7" of him, is the nation's top rated QB thus far. Glad his team is on the road at Alabama this Saturday.

1 Florida (55)
2 Texas (2)
3 Alabama (3)
4 Mississippi
5 Penn State
6 California
7 LSU
8 Boise State
9 Miami (FL)
10 Oklahoma
11 Virginia Tech
12 USC
13 Ohio State
14 Cincinnati
15 TCU
16 Oklahoma State
17 Houston
18 Florida State
19 Brigham Young
20 Kansas
21 Georgia
22 North Carolina
23 Michigan
24 Washington
25 Nebraska
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Someday my Aggies might make it back to the top 25 again...[:/]

At least this year has started off OK for us, but the Big12 is a power conference and we have to play those teams.:o

Yeah, from what I've seen so far, the SEC West is doing almost exactly what the Big 12 South started out last year with.

I can't believe Washington knocked off USC. WTF was that all about? Sure makes LSU's win at UW more impressive. Cal should beat USC too.

Bama's got LSU, Arkansas, South Carolina and Tennessee at home this fall, and they're all good teams. The road schedule is a little easier, but not by much, with games at Ole Miss and Auburn (who is back in the mix of things with a surprisingly good offense).

It's been a while since I've seen so many SEC teams averaging over 500 yards on offense. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm looking forward to all the major SEC contendors paying each other. Minus the play-offs, I Hope that BAMA kicks ass like last year. Anyone planning on going to the Iron-Bowl this year?

If those two teams keep winning, watch the ticket prices soar. [:/] I'll just watch it on TV with friends.

I'm jumping ahead but I can't wait until next year when Bama gets to play their home games in its newly expanded stadium with 101,000+ screaming fans. B|

its newly expanded stadium with 101,000+ screaming fans.

101K ? That's all ? :P

QB Ryan Mallett, all 6'-7" of him, is the nation's top rated QB thus far.

Ex-Wolverine.

Watch out for the Big Blue.....we may not crack the Top 10 this year, but a return to dominance is imminent.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

its newly expanded stadium with 101,000+ screaming fans.

101K ? That's all ? :P

QB Ryan Mallett, all 6'-7" of him, is the nation's top rated QB thus far.

Ex-Wolverine.

Watch out for the Big Blue.....we may not crack the Top 10 this year, but a return to dominance is imminent.

Don

That's just the way Alabama's stadium is set up. Would be nice to have more, but I won't complain. I remember when it only had 70,000+ seats. Then they built the east upper deck, making capacity 83K, then they built up the north end zone a few years ago to the current 93K capacity. When the south end zone upper deck is done, it'll be almost like a full bowl. And it will be LOUD at game time.

And yes, I remember Ryan when he was at Michigan. He originally wanted to go to Arkansas, but they had Mitch Mustain, so he signed with Michigan. Then Rich comes in and decides to bring the spread along and Ryan said fuck that. Mitch had left Arkansas so Ryan transferred there. Funny how that works out. He fits right in with Bobby Petrino's offense anyway.

I can't believe Washington knocked off USC. WTF was that all about? Sure makes LSU's win at UW more impressive.

After hanging my head while wearing purple & gold every Monday during last season's 0-12 fiasco, I can finally hold my head high again. My guess is that there will be some speedbumps along the way this season, but 9 days after a chance at setting a new conference record losing streak of 16 games, we're 2-1 overall, 1-1 vs. top 10, 1-0 vs. PAC-10, and ranked in the top 25 for the first time since 2003. Bow down, the Huskies are back from the wilderness. B|:)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Man, what a wild day yesterday, I think 4 of the top 10 teams lost, including overrated Ole Miss on Thursday.

I was surprised by VT's blow-out win over Miami (yeah, fucking A!!!)

Other surprises were Oregon demolishing Cal, and the big shocker: FSU losing bad on its home field to South Florida, who had their back up QB playing because Matt Groethe, a senior, is gone for the season with an ACL injury. You might remember Matt's team beat Auburn at Auburn a few years back.

Penn State and Iowa, well not too surprised there. Iowa has had the Lions' number lately.

Anybody see the nasty lick Florida's Tebow took to the back of his head at Kentucky? That was ugly. He had a concussion and was throwing up on the sideline. Went to the hospital, but he is enroute back home today.

Oh and uh, yeah, Alabama demolished Arkansas's #2 ranked passing game in a 35-7 win. Yeah, the same Arkansas team that scored 41 in a loss to Georgia the week before. :ph34r: And we did it even without our best defensive player, sophomore LB Don'ta Hightower who hurt his knee in the 1st quarter. A couple of years ago that would have spelled trouble for the team, but now, they're loaded with back-ups that play just as good as the starters. Been a while since they had the cupboard full. I'm biased of course, but I think Bama is playing as well as anybody in the country. That's not to say they will go undefeated. The competition looks really tough this year.

I'm biased of course,

"Say it ain't so, Joe !" :P

Michigan's undefeated also, which must mean they're at least as good as the Tide.

Thanks for the weekly 'Bama update. College Football Gameday's got nuthin' on you. :)

Don
It's a free-for-all."

i can't believe boise state is number 5. lsu almost blew their game which would have made them number 4. bsu is my team, but i have to wonder if they could really compete with florida, texas (who i believe is the best team in the nation right now), and alabama. crazy shit. i just hope tcu keeps winning too. fuck the bcs, the more crashers, the better.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I'm biased of course,

"Say it ain't so, Joe !" :P

Michigan's undefeated also, which must mean they're at least as good as the Tide.

Thanks for the weekly 'Bama update. College Football Gameday's got nuthin' on you. :)

Don

Well, I do follow the stats and where the teams are ranked in offense and defense, etc blah blah blah, and Bama is in the top ten in a good number of them on both sides of the ball, mostly defense. QB McElroy is currently the #3 rated QB in passing efficiency in the nation. He is way ahead of previous QB John Parker Wilson at this point in his career.

Now other than VA Tech, we haven't played anybody with a decent defense. Time will tell how good we really are. Tennessee, South Carolina and Florida appear to be the only other SEC schools that really play defense, and we'll face the first two (whose offenses are mediocre), and probably the latter in the SEC title game.

I just hope they take it one game at a time and always play at the best level they can, instead of playing to the competition's level like in recent years.

LSU had me so worried during most of their game. If they don't up their game, they're going to lose against FL even if Tebow isn't playing!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

but i have to wonder if they could really compete with florida, texas (who i believe is the best team in the nation right now), and alabama. crazy shit.

I didn't think they could carry Oklahoma's jockstraps two years ago, either.

I've been following college football for almost 40 years now, and that statue-of-Liberty play is still the best and gutsiest call I've ever seen.

Don

Don
It's a free-for-all."

that was hands down the best game i've ever seen. to be in idaho and a bsu fan before that game made it that much sweeter.

we all know they could have a shot at beating any team in the nation on any given day. the question is whether they could compete if they had to play top ten teams week in and week out. i'm just not sure they would hold up.

www.kjandmegan.com

i guess technically i'm still a bsu student, but we just moved to florida so i won't be taking any more classes there.

i really think the pac ten should become the pac 12, adding bsu and one other team. i think it would really improve their recruiting.

www.kjandmegan.com

i really think the pac ten should become the pac 12, adding bsu and one other team. i think it would really improve their recruiting.

Utah, maybe?

If you run the BCS formula for BCS/non-BCS conferences, it turns out that the Mountain West would be the next BCS conference, and that if USC left the Pac-10, it would no longer qualify as a BCS conference.

I'd be curious to see how a playoff system would work. Would you seed the playoffs before or after the various conference championships? Would teams start petitioning their conferences to reduce conference games, so they could play weaker opponents, win more games, and have a better shot at the playoffs?

Honestly, I think the real problem is the compulsive need to declare a "winner." The old bowl system, where everyone played their bowl games and then everyone spent the off season claiming they were the champions, was better than the current system, where the same thing still happens despite the BCS declaring a "real" winner.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i guess technically i'm still a bsu student, but we just moved to florida so i won't be taking any more classes there.

BSU and Fresno State?

If you run the BCS formula for BCS/non-BCS conferences, it turns out that the Mountain West would be the next BCS conference, and that if USC left the Pac-10, it would no longer qualify as a BCS conference.

we were doing good at keeping this conversation within the limits of my knowledge, but now you've gone and surpassed them. what is this "bcs formula"? i always thought that bcs conferences were bcs conferences because that's the way it was decreed in the beginning and nothing will change that. i was not aware of criteria that qualify a particular conference as "bcs" or "non-BCS". please explain.

I'd be curious to see how a playoff system would work. Would you seed the playoffs before or after the various conference championships? Would teams start petitioning their conferences to reduce conference games, so they could play weaker opponents, win more games, and have a better shot at the playoffs?

i would seed after conference championships using whatever formulas that are used currently to determine bcs ranking but with one tweak, overall win/loss record trumps the ranking.

i suppose teams could petition for easier schedules, but a minimun number of conference games could be set in order for a team to be eligable.

Honestly, I think the real problem is the compulsive need to declare a "winner."

come on tom, we live in a competative society and sports is competition. if there isn't going to be a winner, what's the point?

www.kjandmegan.com