Pokerstar

Any road bike enthusiasts?

BTW I didn't see anyone pick up on my joke about the Mavic R-Sys;

Yes, we got it... I didnt want to fuel your anti-Mavic rants :P

I was only anti-Mavic temporarily, when I was PO'd about them developing cracks around spoke holes.
Then I put a tension meter on them I realized it was the fault of the clueless wheelbuilder.

These days, I'm a satisfied customer of Velocity.

Carbon spokes sound interesting... in theory... :ph34r:

Have you seen the aero-drag analysis someone did of several dozen high-priced "boutique" wheels?
The R-Sys came in dead last due to those big, fat CF tubes.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Link to that study?

I mean, I need very aero wheels. After all, I have spend too many years developing my aero abdomen :D

I will need to do some digging.
Work is pestering me right now.
I just put in for a vacation day tomorrow.
Forecast here is 98F Wednesday, but the forecast for Mt Evans is 57F,
and it is the *only* day out of the next 9 with no chance of t-storms in the forecast.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Interesting! Some low cost wheels are right in the middle of that range. Then again, I'm not sure the R-Sys claim was that they were more aero, but rather lighter.

EDIT: I followed the name in the title of the graph and found the full study. Includes inertia and stiffness tests
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15441821.html
Remster

Aksium wheels on that setup? Surely, you should be able to do better! ;)

I guess initial budget can be an issue too... If you can still get Dura Ace 7800, you may be able to get an awesome deal on the groupo. ame goes for a record 10 groupo. If you want the latest and greatest, then 7900 or Record 11 will be comparable in price, performance, but as other have said servicibility will be better on the Campy. Super Record 11 will cost ya about 800 more.

That being said, for hacks like me, any of those groupos would do just fine! Heck, Ultegra SL is now just a hair under the performance level of 7800. I've done 7,000 miles on my Ultegra/Dura Uace mixed bike now with no issues whatsoever. Except the stoopid FSA crank. Stay away from FSA.

But, again, Aksium... Are you sure?

Welllll, maybe? I have Ksyrium Elites on my Novara, and a few weeks ago on the MS250 I hit a chuckhole so hard I lost a water bottle (and part of my spleen, I think) but the wheel was still perfect.

I got a GREAT deal on the Aksiums, so I will give them a try, and if I want to step up I can sell them for what I paid for them.

I will keep everyone posted as I do the build up, with pics!

Now, I just wish I could ride, damn busted foot. >:(
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

I hit a chuckhole so hard I lost a water bottle

I tried a few different cages in the last couple of years to cure this (I'm a big rider too, and I think your mass sure doesn't help with that), and I've had exceptional results with these: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=41537

I tried Trax, Profile, no-name alum cages. But these, although flexible, are rock solid.
Remster

Got any pointers for me?

I'm back on my bike again after many years of not being on it and have decided my 1988 built Trek 1000 is a bit tired... (dramatic understatement).

Given a budget of $1000 +/- 200 or so, mostly flatland riding (zero hills around here), and 25-40 mile rides 3-4 times a week, got any suggestions? I've always liked this Trek, but I've no reason to be loyal. I've seen a few carbon framesets I like, but I doubt my budget would handle it with a decent component group. Oh, and I tend to lean toward Shimano, but again, no particular reason to be loyal.

Thanks!

Bicycling has had a couple good reviews / article on budget friendly (ok, maybe not stupid expensive may be a better description lol) , high quality bikes the last couple months.

Comparing the Allez http://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail/0,7989,s1-16-156-2417-0,00.html with the Tarmac http://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail/0,7989,s1-16-156-2416-0,00.html, they make a good point for the less expensive Alum Allez. Plus, If you shop around for last year's models, you can find better deals than MSRP.

These reviews may help you out too http://www.bicycling.com/gear/topic/1,7987,s1-16-157-0,00.html

And yep, a decent carbon frame with decent components will be north of $2k.
Remster

So I got up at 3:30am this morning;
Left in the car with bike on back at 4:30;
Arrived at Idaho Springs at 5:30 and got on the bike.
Chugged up 15 miles and 3000' vertical;
Only to reach Echo Lake and find the road to Mt Evans closed for repair.>:(

So I took my souvenir shot of Echo Lake and went home.

So I got up at 3:30am this morning;
Left in the car with bike on back at 4:30;
Arrived at Idaho Springs at 5:30 and got on the bike.
Chugged up 15 miles and 3000' vertical;
Only to reach Echo Lake and find the road to Mt Evans closed for repair.>:(

So I took my souvenir shot of Echo Lake and went home.

Wow! That is BEAUTIFUL!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Got any pointers for me?

I'm back on my bike again after many years of not being on it and have decided my 1988 built Trek 1000 is a bit tired... (dramatic understatement).

Given a budget of $1000 +/- 200 or so, mostly flatland riding (zero hills around here), and 25-40 mile rides 3-4 times a week, got any suggestions? I've always liked this Trek, but I've no reason to be loyal. I've seen a few carbon framesets I like, but I doubt my budget would handle it with a decent component group. Oh, and I tend to lean toward Shimano, but again, no particular reason to be loyal.

Thanks!

Not sure where you live, but there are a few very nice bikes in that price range. Take a look at the TREK 1.5, very nice aluminum bike w/ a carbon fork. The equivalent Specialized is either the Sequioa elite or possible one of the Roubaixs. Find a good local bike shop, talk to the folks, and ride a few.

If after you do that, and feel comfortable buying used, Craigslist can offer up some bargains if you are patient.

Good Luck! If you lived near Minneapolis, I would say to come and ride my Trek 1.5 that I have for sale! :)
--- The Dude ---

I haven't ridden a 1.5, but looking at the geometry, it doesnt look like a comfort bike at all. Its got about the same geometry as a 5.2 (which I was on for a couple weeks just now) and its definitely in the same category, geometry wise, as the Allez (and to a lesser extent as the Tarmac and the Madone series of Trek). I'd put the closest equivalent in the Specialized lineup as the Allez Compact (Alum frame, carbon fork, Sora/Tiagra components), $1100 for the Trek, $880 for the Spec.

Looking at the Trek lineup, it doesnt appear that they have a true plush road bike, like a Specialized Roubaix, Sequoia, Cervelo R series, Giant Defy series, or the likes.

If I were you, I'd try several from your local bike shop to see what fits best!
Remster

I'll be perusing the bike shops of Tucson over the next few weeks. I appreciate all the pointers! I've definitely discovered over the last month or so since I got my bike out again, I don't have the knees of an 18 year old anymore. Sigh.

On another note, anyone else here an Arizona rider? I'm thinking I want to do the Tour de Tucson this year. That gives me 4 more months to burn some of this chub off and better prepare for the full 109 miles.

I should have my new bike well before that, too.

actually... I believe Remster is actually in Tucson... and may be able to help you figure stuff out personally...

I believe he's even done the Tour of Tucson before...:D:D

Yep... it seems I remembered correctly... http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2980151;search_string=tour%20of%20tucson;#2980151

Actually Remi (and others),

I have a question... I'd like to be able to average above 20 MPH during my rides... and tend to get stuck around 16-18 mph averages on most of my rides (and a typical ride single ride is 20-40 miles)

Now my elevation changes aren't exactly small (at times) but is there any advice to build up my speed averages?

Here are some of my more typical rides... (I did lose a chunk of data due to the loss of a garmin... [:/])

http://connect.garmin.com/explore#activityType=all&eventType=all&owner=icon134&sortField=relevance&currentPage=1

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You're in Tucson? lol! Cool!

As far as local bike shops, check:

FairWheels (my favorite now, and if the owner, Ralf, is in a good mood, you may get a very good deal)
Tucson Bicycles
Oro Valley Bicycles
Sabino Cycle
The Trek shop
Performance (they have some good deal if you don't mind not having a marquee brand, but the service sucks)

There are quite a few others, but these will keep you busy for a while!

I've done El Tour twice, and the Tour of the Mountain twice too, and finally got platinum on the last mountain tour.

GABA does El Tour training rides starting in early September that are well suited for people who need to ramp up their millage.

For the knees, this will obviously be a personal preference thing, but I found that switching to Speedplay pedals really helped me.
Remster

Actually Remi (and others),

I have a question... I'd like to be able to average above 20 MPH during my rides... and tend to get stuck around 16-18 mph averages on most of my rides (and a typical ride single ride is 20-40 miles)

Now my elevation changes aren't exactly small (at times) but is there any advice to build up my speed averages?

You just need to choose your course carefully, like this:

For the knees, this will obviously be a personal preference thing, but I found that switching to Speedplay pedals really helped me.

I have an ex-racer friend who swears by Speedplays.
They certainly look good on the float specs.

For myself, spending time up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere,
if I have a major breakdown, I want to be able to walk.
So I use SPD's & mtn shoes for all the bikes.

So I use SPD's & mtn shoes for all the bikes.

SPD's _killed_ my knees. But as we agreed, like saddles, its really a personal preference thing!

As far as bringing the average up, averaging over 20 is tough for hacks like us. I know I rarely do it on solo rides except if that are short (20 miles) and very flat. If you want to build up, one word, and you will hate me:D: intervals. Your average over a ride will probably be much lower since the rest periods _have_ to be at a very casual rate, but pushing real hard on the intervals will help you in the long run.

I find doing group rides with people that are slightly better then I am a good motivator. I'm a fat bastage, so the uphill sections of the rides I sit in the middle, and do all I can to not get dropped. When it gets flat, or down, then I'll come to the front and rotate in a paceline. Its a good motivator.
Remster

Intervals are definitely a good way to build speed... and for what it's worth... I imagine one of the major killers of my pace are stoplights and traffic (which I wouldn't be stopping for in an actual race environment.)

having said that I did the reverse (more or less) of the course I did on tuesday, yesterday and completed the course and my average speed was 1/10 of a mph faster overall.

(but only 16.6 mph average vs 16.5 mph the time...)

I think I liked it a bit better... although the finish is rough... with a climb of from 740 ft MSL to just about 900 ft over the last 10 miles of the ride... B|:D

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

When it gets flat, or down, then I'll come to the front and rotate in a paceline. Its a good motivator.

Get a set of these and you can drop the paceline:

http://velonews.com/article/9673

:D

Dude! I can't wait to get those bad boys on my bike! My goal is to hit supersonic speeds down Ramsay Hill in St Paul!

The only issue I see is the shipping costs, as my LBS doesnt stock them! :)
--- The Dude ---