futuredivot

Sometimes an ass-whoopin'

More information. Not that it makes him right, but there's more to it than it looks from a headline.

Even if he was looking at pictures on the device, that might still be wireless communication that could interfere with the flight communications, and therefore be just as bad as talking on the phone.

I don't understand why someone else in his group didn't holler at him, in his native language: "Hey Yakov! Turn off your cell phone, you dumbkoff!"

I don't understand why someone else in his group didn't holler at him, in his native language: "Hey Yakov! Turn off your cell phone, you dumbkoff!"

With as jumpy as people are anymore, if they had done that on top of the guy not handing over whatever it was he was holding, people would have immediately started thinking "terrorist" and who knows what would have happened then. [:/][:/]

More information. Not that it makes him right, but there's more to it than it looks from a headline.

Even if he was looking at pictures on the device, that might still be wireless communication that could interfere with the flight communications, and therefore be just as bad as talking on the phone.

Although that's the reason they 'give', it's not why they want everything off when the cabin door is closed...they want everybody to watch the evac stuff and not have anything stuck in their ears in case of an emergency during take-off.

There have been extensive tests done regarding cell phone use affecting the cockpit...non-issue.;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Exactly. Hell, my pilots in the helo will frequently text when they're not at the controls. Usually it's for coordinating landing times and areas to other helos that are over the horizon, where our VHF/UHF radios don't reach. Even with the phone communicating, I have never seen an issue with:

1. Air-Ground Comms
2. Air-Air Comms
3. TACAN
4. ATIS
5. Instruments

Although I always turn my phone on stand by. Why? Because it drains in about 30 f***ing minutes if I forget to. How the pilots can even send texts with all the crazy electromagnetic and static buildup from the rotors is beyond me. Perhaps I need a service change.

Verizon. We never stop working for you.*

*Except when you're flying in a f***ing helicopter, or trying to call at basically any other time.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.