mdrejhon

Purchase of a new container: Safe downsizing in future 190->170->150?

Vector 3 V350 and Skyhook = PR176 + Sabre2 - 190. Perfect combination.

That's my number one choice right now (at about jump 75) if I won the lottery.

I'm trying to do similiar except get the canopies used, and going Sabre1 instead of Sabre2, and a Cypres2 [err..I mean Cypres1] with a few years left. And at the same time, keep it as close to a $4000 CDN budget as possible. ($3250 USD) This is extremely difficult to do, now that RWS has increased their prices. Damn!

[Edit: Cypres1.]

Yup, that's exactly what I did.

I bought a Javelin J3, which is designed for a 170 main. I put a few hundred jumps on a Triathlon 190 before downsizing to a Stileto 150. Both the triathlon 190 and the Stiletto 150 fit very well.

Now I'm downsizing to a 135 so I've got a new container.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yup, that's exactly what I did.

I bought a Javelin J3, which is designed for a 170 main. I put a few hundred jumps on a Triathlon 190 before downsizing to a Stileto 150. Both the triathlon 190 and the Stiletto 150 fit very well.

Now I'm downsizing to a 135 so I've got a new container.

_Am

Almost 700 jumps on your original container. Not too shabby of a longevity by my standards. Sorta the goal I'm hoping to aim at (500-1000 jumps on first container).

Though I may not be able to do two downsizes on the same container. I guess it depends.

My final decision is probably coming this weekend, on my next dropzone visit.

The Great Used Versus New Debate!

I feel your pain man, i'm in the same boat.

Fortunately my home DZ's store is Square3 and they have a really decent Demo program that i'm really considering. Goes something like, you put a down payment of $4000 (one of three down payments) and you jump their gear for free up to 100 jumps or 6 months. At the end of the term your entire $4000 goes towards new gear bought through them.

Good for getting some experience and opinions on different canopies/containers and can downsize appropriately if you're headed in that direction.

Goes something like, you put a down payment of $4000 (one of three down payments) and you jump their gear for free up to 100 jumps or 6 months. At the end of the term your entire $4000 goes towards new gear bought through them.

That'd work well for me! Wish I had that luxury. Three manageable downpayments I can spread out, and at the same time stop renting, perfect! (I assume you mean three separate $1333.33 payments, totalling $4000)

Assuming what you say are correct and there's no other fine print, I think you should go for that downpayment program. While there is probably no dealer discount, it's still cheaper than renting 100 times and you'd get the jump numbers necessary to settle on a gear combination that keeps you happy for many years to come!

The online Flash-based gear designers kinda make someone drool over new instead of used...

Well, i meant you have an option of putting a downpayment of 1k, 3k or 4k down. With the 1k and 3k option there is a monthly program fee (100/mnth for the 1k payment, or 50/mnth for the 3k) and no monthly fee with the 4k. Thats in one big lump sum payment :) (though a breaking it up into separate payments would rock)

Fine print states that you're obligated to buy a new container, main and reserve (cypress optional). A fee of 250 or 25/jump (whichever is greater) if you decide to back out of the agreement.

I guess my only issue is dumping a 4k down payment. It makes me light headed.

I guess my only issue is dumping a 4k down payment. It makes me light headed.

Do they allow you to spend the excess on a custom painted BoneHead and a custom made Tony Suit or Bev Suit? If you end up buying a $3K rig and have some left over?

While there is probably no dealer discount

The Square 1/2/3 demo program customers pay 15% off base list price. Not quite the discount you can get elsewhere but to many people the benefits are worth paying a bit more.

The big benefits to their program, imho, are it provides a way of safely downsizing (from student sizes to a 1.0-1.2 wingloading) without the customer having to buy the "intermediate" sized canopy and the customer can put jumps on a number of different containers and mains (thus allowing them to make a more informed buying decision when it's time).

The wall full of demo gear at the Square 1 store in Perris would blow your mind.

Do they allow you to spend the excess on a custom painted BoneHead and a custom made Tony Suit or Bev Suit? If you end up buying a $3K rig and have some left over?

Good question, i have no idea :P Though if the total for a new rig only comes to 3k i'll be amazed. On that off chance the rest will likey go towards a cypress.

Good question, i have no idea :P Though if the total for a new rig only comes to 3k i'll be amazed. On that off chance the rest will likey go towards a cypress.

At $1K plus $100 per month, that's only $600 for 100 rentals of luxury gear rather than heavily used dropzone garb.

Hmmm. Isn't it possible to coax them into letting you pay $1K and pay $100 per month, and you keep paying $1K until it reaches $3K/$4K, then your $100 per month charge would go away.

You pay $1K + $100 first month, $1K + $100 second month, $1K + $50 third month ($3K milestone), $1K + $0 fourth month ($4K milestone). Basically you'd only be out $250 of ongoing fees, for the luxury of spreading your $4K payments at $1K over four months.

Anyway, unfortunately, this doesn't affect me. There's no Square 1/2/3 gear store nearby. Wish there was, since this would be the perfect option for me.

If you want to downsize and the container really is too big, and you don't mind the extra size on your back, you can have a pad installed, best to do it by the mfg so they do it without snag points and such. They can do it in the main pack tray or on the D-bag.

As you said, your rig will be worth a lot and in high demand, so just go for what is easy to pack now. You will not regret it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I currently have one used rig and one new rig . I like my new Infinity best but at almost double the cost of my second rig (which is also a very nice rig) I really have trouble stating that new is the best. Here is the cost break down of each.
New Rig
Infinity $1500
PD 143 $800
VX109 $1000
Cypres $900
Total $4200

Used Rig
Eclipse $250.00
PD 126 $670.00
Xaos 98 $1200.00
Risers $130.00
Total $2250.00

As you said, your rig will be worth a lot and in high demand, so just go for what is easy to pack now. You will not regret it.

Funny you say that!

(1) Used *GOOD* rigs with the sizes I want, are overpriced (in high demand).

(2) I get great resale value if I buy a new container.

It seems like it becomes easier to buy used as I get more experienced, because there's a glut of pro-downsizers and too few lightly-used inexpensive *GOOD* novice rigs...

Hmmm. Isn't it possible to coax them into letting you pay $1K and pay $100 per month, and you keep paying $1K until it reaches $3K/$4K, then your $100 per month charge would go away.

Hmm, another good suggestion. I'll have to see if I can negotiate something like that when I stop by in a day or two.

Ask Gilles about getting you a PD reserve to demo. It is my understanding that he was thinking about getting some different sizes for the Otter weekends, but I'm not sure if I remember that correctly. Last year he brought a couple Katana's for demoing and at least 3 people I know of have bought Katana's since then.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Ask Gilles about getting you a PD reserve to demo. It is my understanding that he was thinking about getting some different sizes for the Otter weekends, but I'm not sure if I remember that correctly. Last year he brought a couple Katana's for demoing and at least 3 people I know of have bought Katana's since then.

Thanks for the tip :)
See you this weekend if you're going there! Sat looks like crap but Sun has a great weather forecast. Also going to the Canada Day Twin Otter boogie too.

*just added item to my list: Ask Gilles about doing a PD Demo sometime this summer*

ORDERING NEW CONTAINER IN TWO DAYS!

I'm now leaning towards a new Vector3 container.

- 190 square feet main (may request it manufactured to also fit 170 and 150 future downsizes)
- 176 square feet reserve. (PD176R)
- SkyHook RSL
- Articulated harness
- Custom colors

Talked to dropzone/instructors. Container size 190/176 is fine with them. Friends say 190 main is fine. A few say I should jump 170 but I am resisting the peer pressure. :P I want to jump a 190 for about 200 more jumps...

I may be ordering in the next two days. I am choosing between two vendors right now. (If you're a vendor...contact me by PM while you still have time B| ...)

In my opinion, you should tell the mfg what main you will put in it, and not cloud the issue with any info about future downsizing.

Make it fit now. You will not regret it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am