DigitalDave

Peanut butter in the jelly, or jelly in the peanut butter?

If you're making a PB&J sammich, and you only have one knife and no sink to wash it in .. Do you put on the peanut butter first and then dip the knife into the jelly, and risk contaminating the jelly with the peanut butter .. or put on the jelly first and risk contaminating the peanut butter?

Paper towel. I wipe the knife completely after spreading with one, and then dip in the other. I don't like seeing bits of one in the other jar.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you must, then use some logic.

Peanut butter doesn't need to be refrigerated, jelly does.

If you get some peanut butter in the jelly there's no issue since the jelly will end up in the fridge.

If you get some jelly in the peanut butter, you're asking for trouble if you don't put it in the fridge.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Jelly on one slice and wipe both sides of the knife on the other slice (pre-peanut butter). Apply peanut butter. Done.

If you want an answer to contamination, peanut butter in the jelly jar is far superior to jelly in the peanut butter. At least the jelly jar goes in the fridge assuming you are an average person and keep the pb at room temp. Bacterial growth will be halted in the fridge, but jelly in the pb at RT will only exasperate bacterial growth. If you keep both in the fridge, then whatever floats your boat.

Being OCD food germ freak and bio major - that is nasty. I know who will not be making me any PB&Js from now on, bastard! :P

I'm also a Biol major and i rely on the mild antiseptic qualities of saliva to clean my knife. Also the alpha Amylase helps to predigest the peanut butter or Jam in the jar:)B|

>:(>:(>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?