Joellercoaster

Spotting complete-rig deals

This is sort of a train of thought post...

I started off thinking about used gear after I get my A. But then a number of people pointed out that I'm an unusual shape, and that I'd almost certainly have to get any container/harness customised unless I was incredibly lucky.

So then I thought, why not buy a new container made for me, then put used canopies in it? I looked at used canopy prices, and thought that sounded doable.

Then in some other thread, the subject of complete new-rig deals came up. Someone mentioned being able to get an Icon/Pilot/Smart combo for less than what I'd been aiming at for my new/used hybrid purchase!

That deal wasn't applicable to me because I wasn't in the market for a rig yet (I'm still not), but it sounds like these things do come up - you just have to know where to look. "Buy our container, put two new PD canopies in it, pay $X" sort of stuff.

So my question is, where do you look, when you know where to look? I'm in the UK, but travel is cheap. And I have a couple of tickets to the US in October that I won by accident ;)

(For what it's worth, I think the combined web price for an I7/Pilot 210/Smart 220 on the Aerodyne site is still pretty damn impressive, but I don't really know what I want yet, so any deal is worth looking at.)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

There's talk of these deals on this website so check here.
Check the manufacturers website for their deals.
Check any dealers websites - some of these may well have offers which are unique to them.

I personally[/p] haven't head of a deal which beats the Aerodyne deal on, finacially speaking only of course. But then you might find better.

Most

Where in the USA are you going to be in October?

Ring or email the gear stores near you (eg. if you'll be in Southern California, Square1 at Perris is a good shop). They'll have a number of different offers and should be able to guide you in the right direction.

Ring them long before October, as there can be quite a long lead time for components - for example, I believe Performance Designs currently have a 8-10 week delivery time for main canopies.

Well, the current plan is to spend a while in NoCal, since we have some friends in San Francisco. But we'll do a bit of medium-distance driving around, for sure... I haven't hooned down the Pacific Coast highway in several years.

A trip to Perris would be a definite possibility, if I could convince MrsCoaster to look the other way.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Haven't met any Pommy skydivers yet, but I'm about to. Will hold my fire on the ball-kicking for a while... we have a cricket team for that.

Looking at the Square1 site, their prices on Aerodyne gear are already cheaper than the manufacturer's web prices, not even considering any whole-rig deals. This is looking good =D
--

This brit's at Perris so you'll not see him till you hit california. Gives you time to work up a good swing. hehe.

Just remember to add california sales tax on to the prices (aint a lot) but yeah - they've got nice prices and as I said, they're good people.

Ring them long before October, as there can be quite a long lead time for components - for example, I believe Performance Designs currently have a 8-10 week delivery time for main canopies.

12 I'm still waiting for mine:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?