murrays

Google Phone - Nexus One

Better read this article on the lack of support people are experiencing after buying Google's Nexus One phone before you pick one up yourself.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

From what I've read, it seems to mirror many of the same types of issues the iPhone, the 3G, BlackBerry Storm, BlackBerry Bold, Palm Pre...et al have all encountered at launch.

The early adopters will drive the fixes needed. Google was hoping to avoid being in an "Apple-type" position like when the iPhone debuted.

I'm interested in seeing one, but the Android OS doesn't really capture me.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I have 6 months left before i need to decided but after a the kind of poor persomance i got from the sony x1 doubt i will be getting another sony after speaking to a number of x1 user we all have smiliar problems with space bar failure on one side and some the keys getting sticky so this was something i was concidering when my vodaphone contract is up!

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I got mine already and I love it. The screen is absoutely gorgeous, best looking cellphone screen I've seen. I used to have an iphone and this phone is better in almost every way for me, but then again I am a technical person and enjoy the amount of customization Android phones have, and despise Apple's "everyone's phone looks and works exactly the same way."

The early adopters will drive the fixes needed.

Well, technically these people aren't early adopters. The G1 was the first Android phone and they worked out a lot of the dev on that device., The Droid launched last month without issues and the Nexus One software isn't that much different from it. The Droid get the same software fairly soon.

The hardware is HTC and they're very experienced with these phones.

Sounds like it's mostly an issue with how the phones are being sold which is a new thing. That and the way T-Mobile is doing the plan on the contract way of purchasing the phone is fairly craptastic.

The early adopters will drive the fixes needed.

Well, technically these people aren't early adopters. The G1 was the first Android phone and they worked out a lot of the dev on that device., The Droid launched last month without issues and the Nexus One software isn't that much different from it. The Droid get the same software fairly soon.

The hardware is HTC and they're very experienced with these phones.

Sounds like it's mostly an issue with how the phones are being sold which is a new thing. That and the way T-Mobile is doing the plan on the contract way of purchasing the phone is fairly craptastic.

Valid points, but this device is the first in the US market with the Snapdragon processor, the latest Android OS, on a chipset and equipment spec not designed in concert with a carrier. Issues like the reports that the Nexus doesn't hold T-Mobile's 3G signal well (which is quite a feat, given that T-Mobile's 3G is in an "uncluttered" 1700MHz freq), etc. So, it stands that Google may not have done all the testing in the same manner that a carrier might have. But, your points probably carry more water...the early adopters used Google as a retail outlet... :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!