npgraphicdesign

Need a new laptop for my work computer

No macs. Why no macs? I have all of my design software that was legally purchased for my desktop PC and I have no desire to repurchase all the software again. Now I'm turning that into a music computer, and need a good work only laptop.

Requirements:
Core2duo
15+ inch screen, 17 preferrably
4-6gb ram
dedicated video memory

will be running adobe illustrator/Photoshop/indesign/flash/dw/dw/after effects and maybe premiere.

Have $1000 to spend.

Suggestions?

No macs. Why no macs? I have all of my design software that was legally purchased for my desktop PC and I have no desire to repurchase all the software again. Now I'm turning that into a music computer, and need a good work only laptop.

Requirements:
Core2duo
4-6gb ram
dedicated video memory

will be running adobe illustrator/Photoshop/indesign/flash/dw/dw/after effects and maybe premiere.

Have $1000 to spend.

Suggestions?

Dell Studio 17, Best Buy has them for 799 or 899, core2duo t6600, hd screen (i think the one best buy has is integrated intel, but you can get a 512 ATI for extra i think...) 500gb hdd, with the option of adding another sata drive,

I had one, but it was too big for me to have as portable as i wanted, so i got the studio 15...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Requirements:
Core2duo
4-6gb ram
dedicated video memory

Have $1000 to spend.

Suggestions?

Dell Studio 17, Best Buy has them for 799 or 899, core2duo t6600, hd screen (i think the one best buy has is integrated intel, but you can get a 512 ATI for extra i think...) 500gb hdd, with the option of adding another sata drive,

I had one, but it was too big for me to have as portable as i wanted, so i got the studio 15...

That's what I have...B|

It IS big...but i sure like it...and wal-mat had it on sale for 699 several months back

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You know you can run the windows environment on a MAC

or you could buy something with the same/similar hardware for less and not have to pay for two OS's...

I know it's not what the OP is looking for but I got an ASUS UL30A-X5 in November 09 and have been very happy wiith it... when its at home I have it attached to my bedroom TV via HDMI (a 37" Sharp LCD) and plug in a USB Media center remote so I can watch netflix movies or hulu in windows media center from across the room...

The computer doesn't have an optical drive but I didn't want one... it is a great size and I like the design...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Yeah, that's a good reason not buy a Dell. :S

I just bought a new Dell 1545 Inspiron laptop and it's great. I bought my first Dell laptop many years ago and it survived a couple of years in the dusty Perris Ghetto and another four years on sailboat in salt waters. It only died just recently when the monitor blew but the computer itself still works. It must have been at least ten years old.

This new one I got for $499 at Best Buy and it rocks. Go try one out . . .

NickD :)

The ASUS looks Nice...so does the Lenovo..but only 1.6ghz? [:/]

Look at anything Asus makes (I usually buy from newegg.com). Most modela are currently shipping with a 3-year warranty with 1-year accidental damage warranty included in the price. Great gear from one of the largest manufacturers of PC equipment out there.

FYI all laptops are made by a handful (IIRC 7) manufacturers. Apple, Sony and a lot of the other "big names" do not make their own laptops. Don't believe the marketing hype and BS ;)

Look at anything Asus makes (I usually buy from newegg.com). Most modela are currently shipping with a 3-year warranty with 1-year accidental damage warranty included in the price. Great gear from one of the largest manufacturers of PC equipment out there.

FYI all laptops are made by a handful (IIRC 7) manufacturers. Apple, Sony and a lot of the other "big names" do not make their own laptops. Don't believe the marketing hype and BS ;)

You ain't kidding! :ph34r: I was replacing a few LCD screens on some Macbooks last year, and was looking for the LCD panel on ebay. Well whatddaya know? Samsung, Gateway, Sony, Apple, and a few other manufacturers use the exact same LCD panel in same size laptops. I found that a 14" laptop screen for a Macbook also was used in a Gateway and Samsung that was on the market at the time. What a ripoff i tell youse! :P

I'm definitely torn between Asus and Samsung.

You ain't kidding! :ph34r: I was replacing a few LCD screens on some Macbooks last year, and was looking for the LCD panel on ebay. Well whatddaya know? Samsung, Gateway, Sony, Apple, and a few other manufacturers use the exact same LCD panel in same size laptops. I found that a 14" laptop screen for a Macbook also was used in a Gateway and Samsung that was on the market at the time. What a ripoff i tell youse! :P

I'm definitely torn between Asus and Samsung.

Most computer makers use the same parts from several different places, its cheaper to have them made than to make them yourself...

You would be surprised at the interchange available on some things, screens are a big one, some internal cards are too...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

The ASUS looks Nice...so does the Lenovo..but only 1.6ghz? [:/]

1.6Ghz != 1.6Ghz.

It's 1.6 as a "default", but it'll ramp the individual cores up to 2.8GHz under load as needed. Benchmarks also have it listed above some of the Core2 Quad desktop processors:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7+720QM+%40+1.60GHz

I know it's not what the OP is looking for but I got an ASUS UL30A-X5 in November 09

my wife just got her asus yesterday. it sure cames loaded with a lot of probably useless software. what extra stuff have you found useful, and what is worthless?

I actually think most of that extra stuff is useless... I uninstalled a bunch of things and should remove some more stuff that is completely pointless... I'd have done a clean install of the OS if I thought I could figure out how to without actually having access to a disk.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I know it's not what the OP is looking for but I got an ASUS UL30A-X5 in November 09

my wife just got her asus yesterday. it sure cames loaded with a lot of probably useless software. what extra stuff have you found useful, and what is worthless?

I got my Dell, bought a bigger hard drive, ordered the FREE os disk from dell, and re-installed it my way!

I dont like all the crap they come with, or the recovery partition and such, I manage all that stuff myself.